Northwestern Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rico said:

I am gonna say it yet again...we need Justin.

Agreed. Preferably the one we saw late in the game last night. The one who picked up points on offensive boards, and getting out in transition. Hustle points.

And with the defensive intensity he showed late. He had a couple of really good defensive possessions.

During the middle part of the game, when we lost the momentum and AH was deathly silent, waiting for something good to cheer about, I watched the bench as much as I could on TV.

the walk-ons had light years more energy and exuberance than the scholly's on the bench, and a ton more than the players on the floor. They were up and rooting for the TEAM.

Just sayin'

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

During the middle part of the game, when we lost the momentum and AH was deathly silent, waiting for something good to cheer about, I watched the bench as much as I could on TV.

the walk-ons had light years more energy and exuberance than the scholly's on the bench, and a ton more than the players on the floor. They were up and rooting for the TEAM.

Just sayin'

#FREECOOPER

I was at the game and here are my observations. (please note this is some and not all players)

1. No energy from the team or bench.
  2. They don't seem prepared during warm ups.  Almost like watching HS kids talking about what they will do after the game.  The other teams look like business.
  3. Sloppy play and no emotion on the floor.  Does not look like they even care if they are beat on D or cause a turnover.
  4. Time out huddles some of the guys are playing what my coach labeled as Grab A@$ and not listening.
  5. When we play hard and are engaged in the game, we look good.

I set close to the Visiting teams and watch them as well.  The coaching staff and bench are completely engaged and there is an energy about them.  Hope we can turn this ship around.  This is the same point as last year when we started to sink.

Maybe things are becoming more clear to me. I always pictured CAM as a tough hardnose SOB of a coach at Dayton.  I think he was because he could be. Maybe he felt at Dayton he could but with the type of players that IU can attract he is afraid to be that guy for fear of guys leaving.  The things I see do not represent a team coached by a strict disciplinarian. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe things are becoming more clear to me. I always pictured CAM as a tough hardnose SOB of a coach at Dayton.  I think he was because he could be. Maybe he felt at Dayton he could but with the type of players that IU can attract he is afraid to be that guy for fear of guys leaving.  The things I see do not represent a team coached by a strict disciplinarian. 

The kids at Dayton probably all had chips on their shoulders would have greatly helped him. Now he has to motivate and he’s lost 

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We have to play with the intensity we showed in the last 7 minutes for 40 minutes a game.

And I hope Devonte got the message...

If it were me DG won't see the court for awhile because he looked like he did not want to be on the court.  The time he was at FT line I just saw his expression on his face as he could not give a crap.  I was down on JS as well after his antics on the sidelines when Archie was trying to explain something to him.  He kind of redeemed himself how he played the last 8 minutes.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The kids at Dayton probably all had chips on their shoulders would have greatly helped him. Now he has to motivate and he’s lost 

Or he was hoping the malcontents would see the light, as they are talented but not gritty.  Like in business, you have to rid yourself of them, as apathy spreads.  I still like Archie, i am wishing we had upperclassman that are better suited for his style and not Crean leftovers.

Here's where I'm at. It's January and for the 4th straight season I'm struggling to see us finishing above .500 in conference play and have more questions than answers about our program. 

Guess I should just sit back and let it play out this year. Can't remember who mentioned it in Maryland thread about hiring Pitino and give the middle finger to the nation,etc....but this just isn't fun to watch anymore. Something has to change. I chose Jeopardy last night during a long segment over IU. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's where I'm at. It's January and for the 4th straight season I'm struggling to see us finishing above .500 in conference play and have more questions than answers about our program. 

Guess I should just sit back and let it play out this year. Can't remember who mentioned it in Maryland thread about hiring Pitino and give the middle finger to the nation,etc....but this just isn't fun to watch anymore. Something has to change. I chose Jeopardy last night during a long segment over IU. 

I agree completely.  Actually we switched to jeopardy then shark tank and I forgot about the game turned it on at 64 62 with a couple seconds left.  This is not enjoyable to watch at this point.

My 69 to 67 prediction was way off. We are much better than what I thought ( enter sarcasm, eye rolling etc.. emoji)😀

we need Smith from a talent standpoint.  question is, how bad was that interaction?  if i read it wrong, then okay i guess.  if it was anything like i thought it was, i don't care if he's our #1 stud, don't play him.  how much does it matter if we go 18-13 and don't make the tourney or 13-18 and don't make the tourney? 

8 minutes ago, hoosierhoosier said:

Or he was hoping the malcontents would see the light, as they are talented but not gritty.  Like in business, you have to rid yourself of them, as apathy spreads.  I still like Archie, i am wishing we had upperclassman that are better suited for his style and not Crean leftovers.

You don’t keep a malcontent for years. If so that’s on Archie. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am gonna say it yet again...we need Justin.

Sure we do but how many of our guys do we have to say we want the Justin that finished the game not one who had 5 turnovers early? It's almost like our guys don't understand when you turn the ball over....the other team gets it. Haha.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If it were me DG won't see the court for awhile because he looked like he did not want to be on the court.  The time he was at FT line I just saw his expression on his face as he could not give a crap.  I was down on JS as well after his antics on the sidelines when Archie was trying to explain something to him.  He kind of redeemed himself how he played the last 8 minutes.

I think Archie holds all of the leverage here...

Devonte has 25 or so games left in high major D1 basketball. If he wants to spend it on the bench, I'd say "fine." The best he can look forward to, basketball wise in my estimation, is playing overseas.

We've proven we can at least play with a higher intensity while he's not out there. Puts more of a burden on Armaan, but that is simply investing in the future to me.

If it is as some supposed in the "Conspiracy Theory: Devonte Green" thread that Devonte refused to go back into the game when he was perfectly healthy, he should have his walking papers this morning. If he was saying he's hurting too bad to go back in, that's a different story. 

But as I said in another thread, I'm tired of hoping for "good" Devonte to show up. Give me "consistent" Devonte or find a seat next to the walk-ons.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

When did he disrespect the coaches?  I missed it, what did he do?

From what I saw he waved off Archie, threw his towel down, complained to his teammates....visibly pissed off at Archie for pulling him after 5 turnovers (oh the humanity). To his credit though. He took the anger and used as motivation and came back in and helped us get the win. He didn't untuck his jersey and sit/moan/complain. For that I will give him credit but the first part....I don't know. I honestly just don't know what to do with a few of these guys.

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Archie holds all of the leverage here...

Devonte has 25 or so games left in high major D1 basketball. If he wants to spend it on the bench, I'd say "fine." The best he can look forward to, basketball wise in my estimation, is playing overseas.

We've proven we can at least play with a higher intensity while he's not out there. Puts more of a burden on Armaan, but that is simply investing in the future to me.

If it is as some supposed in the "Conspiracy Theory: Devonte Green" thread that Devonte refused to go back into the game when he was perfectly healthy, he should have his walking papers this morning. If he was saying he's hurting too bad to go back in, that's a different story. 

But as I said in another thread, I'm tired of hoping for "good" Devonte to show up. Give me "consistent" Devonte or find a seat next to the walk-ons.

Actually only 16 regular season games left so I don't think he will change

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this was the least enjoyable win i have ever watched.  smith and green disrespecting CAM... no excuse.  should never have come back in the game.  i was in the camp saying Miller deserves 1 more year, but not if he has lost the team.  it's time to bench anyone not fully in and not part of next year.  

I don't know what happened with Green, but Smith did no such thing. Smith was frustrated and going to bench, it's easy to read Archie's lips on the replay: he asked him "what happened?" presumably referring to Smith getting back-doored. Smith stopped, turned around and explained to Archie why he got beat. He was clearly frustrated with himself and the game at that point, but to call that disrespecting anyone is not accurate.

Smith seems more angry at teammates then Miller IMO.....and in a good way.

One moment I remember clearly was an out of bounds play, TJD got the ball out on the 3pt line by the side line with Smith at the top  of the key. TJD held the ball and seemed a little lost. Smith clapped his hands at him and yelled something and then TJD quickly passed the ball to Smith who then passed it to the other wing.

Even if he was angry at Miller on the bench, he was engaged and really played well the last 8 mins of the game. Probably won the game for us.

Green on the other hand seems disinterested at best.

The other thing that bothered me was Hunter laughing on the bench when we were down late in the game. Multiple times the camera caught him smiling and have a good time sitting on the bench. 

IMO, let Smith have his shot leading along with Al. If he can give us anything close to what he did the last 8 mins, the team is totally different.

13 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't know what happened with Green, but Smith did no such thing. Smith was frustrated and going to bench, it's easy to read Archie's lips on the replay: he asked him "what happened?" presumably referring to Smith getting back-doored. Smith stopped, turned around and explained to Archie why he got beat. He was clearly frustrated with himself and the game at that point, but to call that disrespecting anyone is not accurate.

Agreed.

I think Smith was in a really good place. Especially late in the game.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just sayin'

True.  There also was a lot of emotion being shown by the players from NW while our guys were showing none.

Something I've noticed a few times through the season is 3 players on the bench joking and laughing with apparent disregard to what was happening on the floor.  Not surprisingly, two of them are players who've gotten minutes and haven't contributed much. The third has been in the starting lineup.

It struck me as being unfocused, but maybe it's just to be expected from young guys (?) - the old guy in me couldn't imagine seeing anything close to that prior to the early 2000's IU basketball teams.

I guess at least they get along.

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

True.  There also was a lot of emotion being shown by the players from NW while our guys were showing none.

Something I've noticed a few times through the season is 3 players on the bench joking and laughing with apparent disregard to what was happening on the floor.  Not surprisingly, two of them are players who've gotten minutes and haven't contributed much. The third has been in the starting lineup.

It struck me as being unfocused, but maybe it's just to be expected from young guys (?) - the old guy in me couldn't imagine seeing anything close to that prior to the early 2000's IU basketball teams.

I guess at least they get along.

Hunter was one of them. And it was a big surprise to me......he CANNOT do that. And if he does, send him to the locker room.

That's a big reason I think Thompson and Anderson should jump him in the current rotation.

Archived