Poster on TOS says 2 players "offered" their release from bball team.....

eddy4iu

I have never taken a shot at Davis.  To the contrary, I have always said he's a load to handle down low and he can still help us.  The only thing I have ever said is that I wish he'd lose some weight, which I have said for 3 years.  I don't think that's over the line.

I think comments should be based on what we see on the floor.  I am not perfect, but I try to stick to that.

Now, if a player is selfish or jogging up the floor, to me that's perfectly fair criticism.  I have not leveled that at Davis at any point.  But even Archie has said that now without specifying who he means.  

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, doesn't matter if he saw it on Twitter, Peegs, HSN or Facebook.  Your public posts can do damage and it seems some folks forget what it's like to be 18-22.

It's worse when you're that age and subject to relentless pressure and criticism.  So disappointed in the over-the-top negativity toward the players, even when we feel it's deserved.  I understand disappointment in the overall product and results, but singling them out, wishing them gone, etc. is just over the top and I wish that part would go away.

Who here wished Deron gone? I think a smattering were perhaps wondering if Green and the team might be better served if he wasn’t on the team anymore. A lot of hinges directly on whether or not he has truly come off the rails and has adversely affected the *team*. 

Sure these are young men and they put work in, but there are a lot of fans here who have even more time, energy, and resources wrapped up in their fandom and support of this team. Some, singlehandedly have likely poured financial support into the program that would pay for the better part of a player’s four-year scholarship. They are entitled to their perspective and their opinion.

*I am not exonerating those who are otherwise being cruel or taking a bullying stance. 

At this point I hope De’Ron uses it to motivate him to have a great second half of the season. Some kids respond to criticism and some shut down. If he sees the court I hope it’s the former. Also, all kids playing at big time basketball Programs receive criticism when the product on the floor is awful. Like I said prove them wrong or shut down, only he can decide that. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

One of De’Rons biggest problem is his weight.  He could never get and stay in shape which is surprising considering IUs strength program.  I know the injuries probably played a part but he was always a little on the heavy, slow side.  This is to take nothing away from the kid, he’s a great person and that’s most important anyway.

And if you have ANY problems with joints, unnecessary weight takes a HUGE toll. I’m very understanding and sympathetic about his Injuries BUT his weight he has a lot more control over than what many want to admit. Nutrition is as much a part of an athletes training as anything else. Ask Vic about that. And we have EXCELLENT paid nutritionists at IU that will work with the athletes. 

that part is all on him IMO.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

At this point I hope De’Ron uses it to motivate him to have a great second half of the season. Some kids respond to criticism and some shut down. If he sees the court I hope it’s the former. Also, all kids playing at big time basketball Programs receive criticism when the product on the floor is awful. Like I said prove them wrong or shut down, only he can decide that. 

Choice is his. You don’t have control over others just yourself.

we all learn and grow. None of us is perfect. I’m FAR from it. Hard times in your life are just a part of it. I wish him well. I’m sure he’s a nice guy.

College basketball players should not get a free pass on criticism when there are legitimate issues with effort, attitude, or being a good teammate. 

• If you don't want criticism, stand up and cheer on your teammates when everyone else on the team is.  
  • If you don't want criticism, play within the structure of your team's offense and don't go all Globetrotter and take idiotic shots that have no chance of going in
  • If you don't want criticism, pay attention when your coach is talking to the team in the huddle.
  • If you don't want criticism, don't talk back to your coach when you get taken out of the game.

None of those bullet points are speculation, none of those are rumors, and more importantly, none of those are things a player like Victor Oladipo would ever do. Those are things we saw with our own eyes.  

Stop defending the action.  Stop making excuses.  Expect change.  Doesn't mean Archie has to kick kids off, but it does mean he has the right to expect those actions to cease.

And, yes, IU fans have the right to expect those actions to cease as well.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

College basketball players should not get a free pass on criticism when there are legitimate issues with effort, attitude, or being a good teammate. 

• If you don't want criticism, stand up and cheer on your teammates when everyone else on the team is.  
  • If you don't want criticism, play within the structure of your team's offense and don't go all Globetrotter and take idiotic shots that have no chance of going in
  • If you don't want criticism, pay attention when your coach is talking to the team in the huddle.
  • If you don't want criticism, don't talk back to your coach when you get taken out of the game.

None of those bullet points are speculation, none of those are rumors, and more importantly, none of those are things a player like Victor Oladipo would ever do. Those are things we saw with our own eyes.  

Stop defending the action.  Stop making excuses.  Expect change.  Doesn't mean Archie has to kick kids off, but it does mean he has the right to expect those actions to cease.

Winner, FRICKEN WINNER, Chicken Fricken Dinner!

🐔 🍗 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's the problem. Somehow when we say things it's viewed as a personal attack on the kid. Knight was right when he was on Letterman about 30 years ago. Parents have changed. Kids just do what they've been allowed.

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Your public posts can do damage and it seems some folks forget what it's like to be 18-22.

I'm going to sound really damn old saying this, but I'm not quite 40, and the world that 18-22 year olds are in today isn't anything like the world was when I was that age, let alone another 10-20 years back. I get what you're meaning about just being that age in general, learning to be semi-independent, finding your place, etc. But the speed at which life goes and the permanence of information just amplifys it exponentially.

Archie, did what most wanted him to do. Time for the players to step up or get out. I was really down on, Archie, but have renewed hope that he’s the guy now. I’m excited and anxious to see how tomorrow’s game unfolds. Time to see who wants to wear Indiana across their chest! 

It's been a little scary to see how easily and swiftly a coach who's been underperforming for three years now, with three different teams, has been able to redirect so much fan frustration from himself on to his players with just one postgame press conference. Before we've seen any actual actions or improvements in play.

The entire team-- De'Ron and Devonte included-- can shut EVERYBODY up by taking out their frustrations on the opposing teams.  I bet we would be happy to "take it all back" and declare them true bad-@$$es.  Until then, they're the cats that got posterized by a lacrosse player.  

7 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's been a little scary to see how easily and swiftly a coach who's been underperforming for three years now, with three different teams, has been able to redirect so much fan frustration from himself on to his players with just one postgame press conference. Before we've seen any actual actions or improvements in play.

This makes no sense. Sorry. Try again.

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Archie was a player. I think he’s been a players coach and tried to give these guys time to buy in. But now has realized that isn’t working and has flipped a switch. Ill grant you it took longer then some might like but it’s not even his post game conference we are talking about, it’s what happened behind closed doors. 

2 minutes ago, Lizard said:

The entire team-- De'Ron and Devonte included-- can shut EVERYBODY up by taking out their frustrations on the opposing teams.  I bet we would be happy to "take it all back" and declare them true bad-@$$es.  Until then, they're the cats that got posterized by a lacrosse player.  

A lot of truth right there! Lol!

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the problem. Somehow when we say things it's viewed as a personal attack on the kid. Knight was right when he was on Letterman about 30 years ago. Parents have changed. Kids just do what they've been allowed.

Here's what the problem is...

When I was growing up, we'd gripe and complain amongst ourselves when the players screwed up, got busted, etc.  No question, the players heard from the staff, family, friends, etc. and I'm confident they felt the humiliation of their error.  On rare occasion, they might even been booed by their own fans in the stands.

Here's what they didn't have...24/7 verbal attacks from complete strangers on Twitter, Facebook, fan forums, etc.  They didn't have complete strangers DM-ing and PM-ing them criticism and in extreme cases, even threats.

It ain't like it was 30 years ago, people.  30 years ago, these kids didn't hear 95% of what they hear today and if you think these kids don't hear a lot more negativity, and infinitely more negativity from complete strangers than they used to and if you don't think it exacts a mental toll, you've got your head in the sand.  Players expect that from fans of opposing teams.  They have likely come to expect it from their own "fans" and that is sad.

I will admit that I gripe about certain players and certain boneheaded mistakes privately with my IU-loving friends and family.  It gets the frustration out of my system and as far as I know, stays out of earshot of the player(s) I'm frustrated with at the moment.  That's an entirely different thing than calling them out publicly on social media, which I avoid unless it's something like Hanner Perea driving drunk and endangering others in the process.  THAT kind of behavior I see as fair game for fans.  I have an entirely different opinion on anonymous fans publicly humiliating a player on social media for poor play or a perceived "bad attitude".  The players of yesteryear are fortunate that stuff wasn't around.  These players have to deal with it or try to ignore it and ignoring it ain't easy if you're human.  Even if you completely stay off social media, some well-meaning friend will probably bring things to your attention.  I'm confident that the constant negativity wears on these kids after awhile.

My suggestion?  Why don't we let the coaching staff (who's paid to mold these players and make them winners) directly call out the players and deal with the problems we see?  I guarantee they see them too and a lot more than us casual fans witness.  Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Your thoughts?  

Archived