Poster on TOS says 2 players "offered" their release from bball team.....

eddy4iu

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not looking to pile on DeRon. But this is the picture of Armaan hitting the winning basket against ND. Either DeRon (sitting left of official) can't stand up due to leg problems or doesn't care very much.

• Indiana guard Armaan Franklin (2) reacts with his teammates on the bench after hitting the game-winning three-point shot during the second half of game one against Notre Dame of the 2019 Crossroads Classic, Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Indiana won 62-60.

I tell ya what, I’ve been a huge DD guy and always felt badly for him and his injuries. The pic from the NW game I could look past as a moment in time but this... I’m afraid this tells a different story. Stone cold stoic, not an ounce of emotion or joy. Contrast that with every other guy in that shot and unfortunately I think it speaks volumes. I’m actually quite surprised we’re even talking about this with DD but the evidence seems to be mounting. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have been talking about how recruiting has slowed down and got me to wondering if it had anything to do with how our locker room has been.  If recruits come in and see and feel the tension they might not want to be part of it.

Ding ding.

19 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

When I watch DeRon limp into games like an 80 year old, I don't expect him to stand on the sidelines. I hurt just watching him so I give him a break on cheering. I think he won't be able to properly walk in 20 years. 

People on here simply have no idea/clue what this young man has been through.  Yes, plenty are able to speak to experience with injury...but they aren't De'Ron.  His experience with injury and rehab and disappointment belongs to him...and no one else.  Just one man's opinion.

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

People on here simply have no idea/clue what this young man has been through.  Yes, plenty are able to speak to experience with injury...but they aren't De'Ron.  His experience with injury and rehab and disappointment belongs to him...and no one else.  Just one man's opinion.

I feel bad for DD and I think he is a good kid.  To me he looks defeated and think the injuries just have taken his enthusiasm form the game.

I see a lot of Mo Creek in De'Ron.  And in hindsight, maybe Mo taking the grad transfer route was the best option.  He looked much the same as De'Ron does now: ground down, no enthusiasm.  We know that's not their true nature due to the way they played when they were healthy. 

A change of scenery did Mo wonders.  He still wasn't the player he was his freshman year, but he lead GW in scoring playing 30 minutes a game, had a buzzer beater over Maryland and got to play in the tournament. 

Bloomington is a great place.  It's a very special place for most of us.  But sometimes it's not the right place for everyone at a given time. 

Edit: Just in case anyone was curious, Creek is still playing professionally in Ukraine.  He's played in the Netherlands and Israel as well, and had a 5 day cup of coffee in the G-League.  Has played continuously with no major injuries since his college career ended.  That's not someone who has lost passion for the game, but you could have fooled anyone the way he looked his junior year.

I feel bad for DeRon.  He was a fairly high end recruit who probably had pro ambitions.  This has to be emotionally tough for him knowing he can't compete anymore. He might have been fighting off tears since he has fallen so far.  Whose to say he isn't a good teammate.  Nobody knows how he interacts with the other players.  

45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

True.  IMO Davis was likely the most impacted by the coaching change.  He may feel trapped in a system he wasn't recruited for or suited to.  Add in the injuries and it just compounds his plight.

I would feel better about his dedication to the coach and team if he seemed more engaged in those examples, but it doesn't necessarily make him a "cancer".

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

True.  IMO Davis was likely the most impacted by the coaching change.  He may feel trapped in a system he wasn't recruited for or suited to.  Add in the injuries and it just compounds his plight.

I would feel better about his dedication to the coach and team if he seemed more engaged in those examples, but it doesn't necessarily make him a "cancer".

Crean was literally recruiting Davis to shoot 3 pointers. He had him practicing 3's.....and NO, I'm not joking

One of De’Rons biggest problem is his weight.  He could never get and stay in shape which is surprising considering IUs strength program.  I know the injuries probably played a part but he was always a little on the heavy, slow side.  This is to take nothing away from the kid, he’s a great person and that’s most important anyway.

4 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I feel bad for DeRon.  He was a fairly high end recruit who probably had pro ambitions.  This has to be emotionally tough for him knowing he can't compete anymore. He might have been fighting off tears since he has fallen so far.  Whose to say he isn't a good teammate.  Nobody knows how he interacts with the other players.  

Kid can barely run right now.  In high school, he was 6'10" and athletic enough to occasionally run the point. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Crean was literally recruiting Davis to shoot 3 pointers. He had him practicing 3's.....and NO, I'm not joking

From first hand accounts (MileHi), De'Ron wasn't a half-bad shooter in high school.  He wasn't Dirk by any stretch, but not terrible. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Chris just said that all the transfer talk happened in the locker room and not in the 1 on 1's. Those did happen with a few players though. In the locker room Archie basically said "if you want to transfer bring me your papers and I'll sign them myself. Then we can find you a nice place to play."

I'm not at all unhappy if that happened.  Way too much apathy there...they were lucky to get out of that game with a W.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kid can barely run right now.  In high school, he was 6'10" and athletic enough to occasionally run the point. 

You are right, I just went and watched his HS videos.  He wasn’t a freak athlete by any means but was more than adequate.  I only remember him be always a little overweight at IU, maybe I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's sad when a young man's playing career is hampered or cut short by injury.  Guys like Glen Grunwald & Jeff Oliphant are just two.  Mo Creek & Robbie Hummel are two more recent examples.

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Creans philosophy was to go as fast as possible and get more possessions on offense than the other team.  If anything, this system plays more into his strengths as Archie wants two towers downlow and pound the ball in.

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

You are right, I just went and watched his HS videos.  He wasn’t a freak athlete by any means but was more than adequate.  I only remember him be always a little overweight at IU, maybe I’m wrong.

I think the weight was kind of a chicken-egg problem.  He wasn't in fantastic shape as a freshman, but wasn't totally out of shape either.  Then the injuries (all lower body, if memory serves) started hitting.  Lower body injuries mean reduced amounts of conditioning. 

And agreed on the first point.  Wasn't Zion or anything, but this was the #40 recruit in the country.  His natural athleticism was pretty good given that he does have a somewhat bulky frame. 

Archived