Bruce Feldman: Kevin Wright Expected To Become TEs Coach

Former Carmel and IMG coach, seems like this could be huge for recruiting.  Great hire if it happens.  

SOURCE: Kevin Wright, the former head coach at powerhouse IMG Academy, is expected to join the #Indiana staff as tight ends coach. Wright is a well-respected coach, has deep ties around the state of Indiana and figures to provide a big boost to the #Hoosiers recruiting.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is really big news actually. Not just because of his Carmel/around the state ties....but deep deep recruiting ties from IMG. Huge get for IU Football!

I assume this is the same IMG in Florida we got Antione Whitner from?  Definitely seems like a guy that would get our foot in the door for guys it would normally be shut.

2 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I assume this is the same IMG in Florida we got Antione Whitner from?  Definitely seems like a guy that would get our foot in the door for guys it would normally be shut.

Yep...the same IMG that routinely pumps players into High D1 Powers every single year from Miami to Michigan to Oklahoma to Notre Dame and every school in between. Awesome hire.

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Interesting hire indeed. came to Carmel after I had graduated. As a PU fan, I’m hoping he’s another Ed Schilling tbh. But seems like a decent hire. Guessing Allen is trying to do his best to ramp up recruiting efforts to keep up with the rest of the conference. 

Lame post. 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Interesting hire indeed. came to Carmel after I had graduated. As a PU fan, I’m hoping he’s another Ed Schilling tbh. But seems like a decent hire. Guessing Allen is trying to do his best to ramp up recruiting efforts to keep up with the rest of the conference. 

Decent? Haha....ok. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah I think it’s a bit premature to say it’s a good/great hire. I see parallels between this hiring and Schilling. A lot of IU fans thought Schilling would be awesome with his recruiting background and we know how that worked out. I like Wright but not sure what type of impact he’ll have. 

Yes. Schilling landed the most coveted and important recruit this state has had since Cody or Gordon. He did awful. PS....him landing Romeo allowed us to get TJD who will  allow us to get others....Leal, Galloway....and the beat goes on. Schilling's time was brief but the impact of landing Romeo will resonate in this state for years. 

In terms of Wright. Just pull up the kids he's coached and sent to schools. As big a hire as we could expect honestly. 

Saw we're expected to move Teegardin to STs and hire Jason Jones as the safety coach. He's a former Ole Miss DC and currently the DBs coach at FAU. 

Two more FL ties. 

This is really good. Plus Wright is obviously known very well throughout the state. Also, Ballou was at IMG academy before ND. I'm sure that helped. 

Allen has done WONDERS for our staff. Serious youth as well. 

Sheridan- 31

Teegardin- 37

Jones- 41 

Shelby- 41

Wommack- 32

and obviously Ballou and Rhea

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah I think it’s a bit premature to say it’s a good/great hire. I see parallels between this hiring and Schilling. A lot of IU fans thought Schilling would be awesome with his recruiting background and we know how that worked out. I like Wright but not sure what type of impact he’ll have. 

Man sometimes you really need to go away. Idgaf about the Schilling hiring on the football board. 

You come here trying to find negatives about one of our football hirings is lame af. We've beaten you 4 out of the last 6 and we played awful in the two we lost. 

I dont care about your team or your teams injuries. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Saw we're expected to move Teegardin to STs and hire Jason Jones as the safety coach. He's a former Ole Miss DC and currently the DBs coach at FAU. 

Two more FL ties. 

This is really good. Plus Wright is obviously known very well throughout the state. Also, Ballou was at IMG academy before ND. I'm sure that helped. 

Allen has done WONDERS for our staff. Serious youth as well. 

Sheridan- 31

Teegardin- 37

Jones- 41 

Shelby- 41

Wommack- 32

Yep. Phenomenal work by Allen. Must admit he's really, really impressed me and some of these hires are moves I didn't see coming. Adding Jones to help with young DB's we have too. Just a great little stretch here for IUFB.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Phenomenal work by Allen. Must admit he's really, really impressed me and some of these hires are moves I didn't see coming. Adding Jones to help with young DB's we have too. Just a great little stretch here for IUFB.

Little frustrated with some of the complaints about the NS hiring. Allen just made a GREAT hire in KB, so why not just simply trust him to make another solid hire? Idk.. weird to me people have to constantly complain about the "unknown". 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Little frustrated with some of the complaints about the NS hiring. Allen just made a GREAT hire in KB, so why not just simply trust him to make another solid hire? Idk.. weird to me people have to constantly complain about the "unknown". 

Can't speak for others but for me at least I think it has more to do with our history. Given these hires and moves I'm not saying blind allegiance time but Allen has really, really shown me something.

Honestly getting these types of coaches to come to our staff and stay are bigger to me in some ways to a big time recruit. Most players want and love to be coached and be  developed. These guys will do just that. 

19 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

This is a huge hire.  He is a wonderful coach, has great ties and to the state IMG is a development program and one of the best in the country.  The guy can coach and Schilling, as Dakitch said is great at holding a clipboard and stopwatch.  Recruiting aside, coaching is a +.  Add recruiting, outstanding hire.  Who ever said Ed was a great recruiter?  He pissed off alot of high school coaches at Park Tudor with tactics.  And, when he got Indiana kids to go to UCLA people forgot that there was an Indiana legend, Alford, who used his connections to get them.

This football coach is no Schilling.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hadn't seen that about Jones.  Sounds like that would be a good hire.  I was kind of disappointment in some of the safety play last year.  Some of that was a lack of pass rush, but I think some new blood there could be a good thing.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Allen’s vision for the program is great.  He knows exactly what he wants in terms of talent, schemes, and coaching.  He knows what high level football looks like and he’s working on installing it here.  

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Hadn't seen that about Jones.  Sounds like that would be a good hire.  I was kind of disappointment in some of the safety play last year.  Some of that was a lack of pass rush, but I think some new blood there could be a good thing.

I hope all the youth in the staff translates to high energy in recruiting.  I’d love to convert on some impact pass rushers.  

I like our safeties and huskies as they can make huge plays.  But sometimes some of them can have trouble holding coverage, although as you point out the lack of pass rush hurt them.  Realistically, I’m not sure we need much better players than we’ve brought in for the secondary. 

4 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I don't recall seeing anyone complaining about any of the hires. At least not on this board. 

I saw some negative comments on twitter when it was announced. I think they were mainly due to hiring someone internally that didn’t have experience calling plays. Most of them probably just wanted a big name. 

I wonder if the new staff can pull in 2-3 final commitments in the last signing period here?  Anybody have a sense of whether there are uncommitted 2020’s or transfer portal guys we are working on?

But, it will be fascinating going forward with what we do with the next class.  Hopefully we return to Florida big time where we made hay in prior years under Allen.  And between Allen and Wright, hopefully we can keep ramping up in-state, especially at the top.

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder if the new staff can pull in 2-3 final commitments in the last signing period here?  Anybody have a sense of whether there are uncommitted 2020’s or transfer portal guys we are working on?

But, it will be fascinating going forward with what we do with the next class.  Hopefully we return to Florida big time where we made hay in prior years under Allen.  And between Allen and Wright, hopefully we can keep ramping up in-state, especially at the top.

To me we can be pretty particular with any additions. Either game changing/speed guy who can be used on offense or special teams.....or of course I never have a problem ever taking quality lineman who are transferring. Being so young we knew this class was going to be smaller in terms of numbers.

21 class will be very important to continue the momentum and our Gator Bowl appearance happened at a perfect time in Florida. Can't tell you the number of posts/tweets I saw over the week we were there from current players saying this is why I left,etc.....and now I'm back,etc.....tons of Florida kids had to notice. Can't hurt for sure.

Archived