Help? Romeo Langford Question

All - I asked this last year and never got an answer, but my parents can't get over that Romeo was the only player last year that did not shake the officials' hands when called out for the starting lineup.  I argue with them that it isn't a big deal, but we are curious as to if anyone knows why?  They say he's arrogant, prima donna, etc.  All accounts I have ever heard don't indicate that.  My viewpoint was always that if he was a problem last year it was because of teammates' jealousy, not his attitude or selfishness.  I know this is old news, but by chance does anyone have any insight on why he didn't shake hands with the officials? 

I honestly do not know why he did not shake the hands, but he is/was the furthest thing from a prima donna as you can get.

I will say that little things like that do make an impression.  This year I have been watching who puts their hands over their heart for the National Anthem.  At the Northwestern game it was only Joey and Damezi.  Again, no big deal, but it does bump my respect up a notch when people do the little things.

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I honestly do not know why he did not shake the hands, but he is/was the furthest thing from a prima donna as you can get.

I will say that little things like that do make an impression.  This year I have been watching who puts their hands over their heart for the National Anthem.  At the Northwestern game it was only Joey and Damezi.  Again, no big deal, but it does bump my respect up a notch when people do the little things.

Ya know, things like that could simply be a difference in how folks are raised. I personally don’t let things like that affect my estimation of people. That’s just me, tho. 

I honestly don’t care about the pregame handshake the starters seem to do. I’m not sure when it started, but I never did it when I played and I don’t really remember many of my teammates doing. I was actually at a high school game Friday and commented to my wife asking her when that became a thing. 

Postgame, absolutely you need to shake hands. But pregame, I don’t think it says anything about a player. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I honestly don’t care about the pregame handshake the starters seem to do. I’m not sure when it started, but I never did it when I played and I don’t really remember many of my teammates doing. I was actually at a high school game Friday and commented to my wife asking her when that became a thing. 

Postgame, absolutely you need to shake hands. But pregame, I don’t think it says anything about a player. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't ever remember doing that growing up.

And pregame, different people do different things to make sure they're mentally focused and don't want to break that. Post-game, absolutely, since you can drop that level of focus.

21 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't ever remember doing that growing up.

And pregame, different people do different things to make sure they're mentally focused and don't want to break that. Post-game, absolutely, since you can drop that level of focus.

I am going back to my HS days.  I was a co-captain...before the game(during warm-ups) the officials would have the captains of both teams meet at the center circle.  We would shake hands.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I am going back to my HS days.  I was a co-captain...before the game(during warm-ups) the officials would have the captains of both teams meet at the center circle.  We would shake hands.

Didn't play basketball in HS, so no direct frame of reference there.  But I can remember watching games and I know I never saw both starting 5's ever shake the ref's hands. 

Now I do remember in football games before the coin flip that we'd shake the refs hands, but again, that was just the captains.  Similar yet different situation. 

52 minutes ago, rico said:

This I definitely did in high school and college. But never did the thing everyone seems to do now when after getting announced in the starting lineup you run over and shake the other coaches hand. 

and again, i don't care all that much, but my parents' point is that literally 9 out of 10 guys did it every single game.  he was the only one on either team to not do it.  i do acknowledge it is a little odd.  i assume if Archie had a problem with it, he would have told him to do it.  i personally think this is a non-issue, but i get their point that officials, etc. could look at that funny if he is the only one.  

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and again, i don't care all that much, but my parents' point is that literally 9 out of 10 guys did it every single game.  he was the only one on either team to not do it.  i do acknowledge it is a little odd.  i assume if Archie had a problem with it, he would have told him to do it.  i personally think this is a non-issue, but i get their point that officials, etc. could look at that funny if he is the only one.  

I see your point. That said, Romeo didn't do much of anything to get on the bad side of refs, didn't seem to draw an inordinate amount of fouls, and by all accounts is pretty laid back and as respectful as they come.

Given the amount of hype he's had over the course of his short life, kudos to both Romeo and his parents on the last point above. There are kids that have had half the hype and twice the ego that he's shown so far.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I see your point. That said, Romeo didn't do much of anything to get on the bad side of refs, didn't seem to draw an inordinate amount of fouls, and by all accounts is pretty laid back and as respectful as they come.

Given the amount of hype he's had over the course of his short life, kudos to both Romeo and his parents on the last point above. There are kids that have had half the hype and twice the ego that he's shown so far.

totally agree and this is my argument to my parents.  just told them i'd see what this board had to say about it.  thanks!

Archived