Ohio State Postgame Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watching in a bar, so didn't get to see the details, but got the gist. Big sigh of relief, too - would've been brutal if we had played like we did on Weds and lost. Still not avoiding those long stretches of subpar offensive output, but it didn't cost us today, and I did notice some 3s going down ... finally. I really don't get the FT issues, though - it doesn't help as much if you get to the line a lot if you only hit half of them. Captain Obvious there, but still. Very, very interested to see how we play on the road these next 2 games.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I watching in a bar, so didn't get to see the details, but got the gist. Big sigh of relief, too - would've been brutal if we had played like we did on Weds and lost. Still not avoiding those long stretches of subpar offensive output, but it didn't cost us today, and I did notice some 3s going down ... finally. I really don't get the FT issues, though - it doesn't help as much if you get to the line a lot if you only hit half of them. Captain Obvious there, but still. Very, very interested to see how we play on the road these next 2 games.

Can't disagree with you on one thing. Gotta hit the freebees.  However, getting to the line more than the other team is better than not getting to the line at all.

Work on FT shooting , no doubt, needs to be done.  And something that can be done.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Post game pressers up

For everyone who has been opining on Hunter, this presser is very informative. 

He played a very good game today, especially defensively as CAM kept pointing out. He did not play or practice at all for a full year. A year. It is taking him time to get back to the player he was (and is), games like today give us a snapshot of his progress. 

And note CAM's comments about Hunter being on a "short rope" for minutes, tied to his defensive contribution -- not specific to him, what CAM says here speaks to his approach to freshman (Hunter as a redshirt or true frosh) -- if you make a mistake defensively or are not dialed in defensively he will pull you out of the game.

So Hunter's reemergence as a significant contributor offensively, is going to have to start on the defensive end -- today was a good step forward. Happy for the kid, immensely talented, very competitive, very much about the team, and a strong defender as he gets his experience and confidence going.

Great win! Amazing what happens when you play with effort and passion. Really excited to see Archie reach these guys and get that out of them. Now, it’s on the players to maintain it. 

Phinisee is so important to this team. I really hope he didn’t get injured again, this team needs him healthy and conditioned. With a fully healthy Phinisee starting and an engaged Green off the bench, this team can make some noise. Without those things we’ll be wildly inconsistent. 

A preface here, I really like a Damezi Anderson. With that said, I watched the game on DVR, so didn’t know why he wasn’t there and part of me wondered if he was a guy that took Archie up on the transfer offer. I’m not saying I don’t want him on the team, I absolutely do. But, I think this team needs one of Hunter or Anderson to find a rhythm, and I think Hunter is the guy. He needs to play 15-20 minutes to get comfortable, instead of splitting that time with Anderson. 

Edit: Everyone, I know he was sick. It was just that when watching on DVR I did not know that.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Great win! Amazing what happens when you play with effort and passion. Really excited to see Archie reach these guys and get that out of them. Now, it’s on the players to maintain it. 

Phinisee is so important to this team. I really hope he didn’t get injured again, this team needs him healthy and conditioned. With a fully healthy Phinisee starting and an engaged Green off the bench, this team can make some noise. Without those things we’ll be wildly inconsistent. 

A preface here, I really like a Damezi Anderson. With that said, I watched the game on DVR, so didn’t know why he wasn’t there and part of me wondered if he was a guy that took Archie up on the transfer offer. I’m not saying I don’t want him on the team, I absolutely do. But, I think this team needs one of Hunter or Anderson to find a rhythm, and I think Hunter is the guy. He needs to play 15-20 minutes to get comfortable, instead of splitting that time with Anderson. 

He was sick today. He was there in sweats. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Good post. As usual.  Thanks.

As for Anderson. He was held out, because he was sick.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I do know now why Anderson wasn’t playing. Just while I was watching I didn’t know why. 

But again, the point was I think Archie has to choose between Hunter and Anderson. One of them needs to get comfortable, it adds such a positive extra element when one of them plays well, but it’s tough when you’re splitting already limited minutes. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As someone said above, Damez was sick -- he was sick during the NWU game as well, and CAM said during the presser he's looking to see him play again next game

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Very much so especially on defense ...they really avoided having lots of 5 minute stretches were they look apathetic or lackadaisical .  Green hit several big and difficult shots that no doubt made a massive difference and rob definitely picked us up being the first guy other than TJD since I can remember to make as many or more than they miss ...but even with our effort those two and the other guards are going to have to make some serious changes if we want to do this on a consistent basis 

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just got home from the game. Kudos to Archie for pushing the right buttons. Great job. 

After the FSU game I was one of the loudest people in the chorus wanting Devonte to start.   I was dead wrong. His niche is coming off the bench and he can be a tremendous assuring that role. 

I have to watch the DVR, but it feels like we did a better job today of not just passing the ball around the perimeter but attacking the rim. Nice adjustment there. 

CAM talks directly about Green coming off the bench in the presser, another reason to listen to it. He said the team has been looking for someone to bring punch off the bench, and Green really changes things with what they can do coming off the bench, maybe the most "dynamic" player on the team (I would agree), and when he comes in focused, dialed in defensively and looking to make the guys around him better it really helps. 

He also makes the point I've always agreed with -- as a coach he doesn't really look at who starts he's looking at finishing as well, who impacts the game and helps the team win. Green played a very good game today, especially in the 2nd half but really overall, and clearly helped the team to the W. I think we're likely to see this continue, and it makes us better. Rob is the engine of this team, but Green is, imo, just as important ultimately to the team's success.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

CAM talks directly about Green coming off the bench in the presser, another reason to listen to it. He said the team has been looking for someone to bring punch off the bench, and Green really changes things with what they can do coming off the bench, maybe the most "dynamic" player on the team (I would agree), and when he comes in focused, dialed in defensively and looking to make the guys around him better it really helps. 

He also makes the point I've always agreed with -- as a coach he doesn't really look at who starts he's looking at finishing as well, who impacts the game and helps the team win. Green played a very good game today, especially in the 2nd half but really overall, and clearly helped the team to the W. I think we're likely to see this continue, and it makes us better. Rob is the engine of this team, but Green is, imo, just as important ultimately to the team's success.

I haven't picked on any player in years but I picked on Green today...and still think I am right. If you review the game he still is making poor decisions. The difference is that he made the shot or got the foul call. He still took poor 3's (in my opinion), still drive into 4 guys, still lost his man on the late slam dunk for OSU. If he didn't make the shot we would be yelling.  Same at the FSU game...how many times did he make some crazy shot that if he missed we would be pulling him from the game. JMHO.

5 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I haven't picked on any player in years but I picked on Green today...and still think I am right. If you review the game he still is making poor decisions. The difference is that he made the shot or got the foul call. He still took poor 3's (in my opinion), still drive into 4 guys, still lost his man on the late slam dunk for OSU. If he didn't make the shot we would be yelling.  Same at the FSU game...how many times did he make some crazy shot that if he missed we would be pulling him from the game. JMHO.

I think your perception is colored a bit. Listen to CAM's presser. If he thinks Green played a good game today, as he clearly does, that says a lot.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

WOW!! Hoosiers still gettin'  no love! Watching highlights on ESPN and they said the Bucknuts lost a game they should have won!! 😡

This is the most egregious example of the state of sports “journalism.” 

This, to ANYBODY who watched, is not the way the game went. 

Was it wonderfully competitive? Sure.

Did OSU somehow get robbed or really roll over? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I thought the reffing in the game favored OSU to an obscene extent. 

Above all else, it’s just false and irresponsible to paint the narrative of the game in that manner. It is objectively false.

9 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

This is the exact observation I had and it drove me absolutely nuts ...I’m absolutely thrilled they fell and we won but as I said earlier we won IN SPITE of our guard play which has been atrocious over a four game stretch ...it’s kinda like a live by green die by green approach at this point 

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Cool post game story. Little Keet and I went down on the floor after the game. He got meet Gus Johnson, who he impersonates all the time, and I got a video of them saying, “The Carnegie Hall of college basketball,” together. 

You really have to post the video!!!! That is awesome.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think your perception is colored a bit. Listen to CAM's presser. If he thinks Green played a good game today, as he clearly does, that says a lot.

I respectfully disagree ...CAM HAS to say that because the shots fell ...even more importantly is that SINCE they fell he has to try and show confidence in the guy.  He has had a bad habit of letting games he isn’t shooting well effect his effort level.  Even though he isn’t a good decision maker he’s dynamic there is no arguing it and CAM is smart enough to know having green play at 100% effort will serve the team so of course he can’t say “ not happy with the game he played “ after a win or the kid would REALLY become a malcontent 

4 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I respectfully disagree ...CAM HAS to say that because the shots fell ...even more importantly is that SINCE they fell he has to try and show confidence in the guy.  He has had a bad habit of letting games he isn’t shooting well effect his effort level.  Even though he isn’t a good decision maker he’s dynamic there is no arguing it and CAM is smart enough to know having green play at 100% effort will serve the team so of course he can’t say “ not happy with the game he played “ after a win or the kid would REALLY become a malcontent 

No, just not the case at all. Maybe you should watch the presser of the last game. We had good guard play, it's why we won. I think you're jaded man.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No, just not the case at all. Maybe you should watch the presser of the last game. We had good guard play, it's why we won. I think you're jaded man.

Wait wait wait ...you’re saying we had good guard play WHICH of the last 4 games ?!  I’m not jaded at all I’m thrilled but I’m also realistic and our guard play in terms of valuing possession , creating opportunities, and hitting open shots has been our biggest weakness with our forwards lack of ability to hit outside shots and our effort consistency being tied as a close second.  I think the press conferences give insight as to the thought process for sure but if you take every word a coach says at face value I think that’s a little naive ...there are things he can and can’t say as a matter of course and there are even more things in those particular boxes as a matter of strategy/psychology....I’m not trying to rain on the parade I’m thrilled for our biggest quality win but you don’t need to watch the press conference or be more than a casual fan to evaluate our guard play

Archived