Ohio State Postgame Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we watched a different game because I thought for the most part DG played under control.  There were a couple of forced shots in the first half but in the second half I thought he played well.

He had no turnovers which was a massive improvement ...I just agreed with craster that two of his 3’s and one of his 2’s he made just off the top of my head were NOT good shots or the correct play ...had to drive arch bonkers ....thankfully he made all 3 so no harm and we got the result we wanted 

Just now, IU Scott said:

One thing Archie needs to do know is to make sure the payers don't get content with this win.  He needs to keep getting on them like he did after the NW and not let up on them.

We need to come out with intensity on the road. Start well and not get down double digits before we react. The whole game is important obviously but the first 5 mins will be huge I think.

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

When you said “ you should check the presser from The last game “  when at the time we are engaged in Ohio state conversation I was making sure you didn’t mean the northwestern game ...as for THIS game green had zero turnovers and made Several high difficulty shots both of which were a contributing or majorly contributing factor to us winning ....however as a team we had 10 assists to 11 turnovers ...green had 1 assist rob had 1 assist and Durham had 1 AND 4 turnovers.  So 1. I agree with the guy with 10 million comments, green hit tough shots that still weren’t the right decision to take them ...Im thrilled he made them but the other guys right if he misses those we are absolutely railing in him as in ALL of us 2. If you think 3 assists and 4 turnovers between green Durham rob AND franklin especially with the first three being our primary ball handlers then you and I have a significantly different definition of good guard play 3. This game is a continuation of the previous 3 games in that regard which is a troubling trend going forward ...we won because we gave superior effort consistently through the game on both ends of the floor and because rob shot 50% and green hit tough shots...minus the better EFFORT it was still the same guard play we’ve had the last few games which isn’t going to cut it 

Are you serious? How negative are you?

Rob had like 7 boards and 4 steals to go with a great all around game, anyone can see that. Green had a strong game and gollly yeah he hit some tough shots, what a drag. Good grief you’re obviously coming with a purpose to try to find problems in a strong win, right CAM was happy with the guard play because he’s pretending, sure, good grief 

11 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Agreed.   There were a couple of forced shots and one defensive lapse where he left the double team too early to which CAM pulled him and let him know.  Otherwise he played a really good game.

His effort was way more consistent and he didn’t turn the ball over so those are huge steps in the right direction ...it may be nitpicky especially in a win but his shot selection as crester pointed out still was not where we need it to be if we want to win big games with regularity 

Somebody in the game thread suggested we call CAM chompy because of him chewing gum during the game..as it turns out he loves to chew gum and that black cherry and grape are his favorite flavors..he went with grape for today’s game and since we won he is going to chew grape for the next game...can’t wait for him to be yelling at a ref and the gum come flying out his mouth and onto the floor...useless info I know, but...

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob had like 7 boards and 4 steals to go with a great all around game, anyone can see that. Green had a strong game and gollly yeah he hit some tough shots, what a drag. Good grief you’re obviously coming with a purpose to try to find problems in a strong win, right CAM was happy with the guard play because he’s pretending, sure, good grief 

I’m thrilled ...if you think our guard play doesn’t need fixed though enjoy today’s win because we won’t get them consistently without changes ...you may be one of the few that’s surprised as the season plays out 

7 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Mistakes are going to happen. The team played with heart and passion today. Play like that and they will be a top half of the conference team easily. 

Heart and passion being the key on both ends consistently ...made a massive difference not having those frustrating 5 minute stretches where they look like their in a practice walkthrough 

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’m thrilled ...if you think our guard play doesn’t need fixed though enjoy today’s win because we won’t get them consistently without changes ...you may be one of the few that’s surprised as the season plays out 

Man you finally decide to come over to the actual basketball board and you come out with this negative stuff after a big win.  Did Brown not have a game that you could have gone to watch.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It has been bad....not Rob Johnson/Newkirk bad but pretty darn close. The one thing however that sets this game apart is Rob starting and his big minutes....we are so much better with him getting us going early in the right sets etc. It also forces Al to the 2 where he belongs and puts Green coming off the bench to exploit matchups against backups and to be a spark off the bench. Green coming off the bench puts him in the right mindset because he knows his job is to give us a lift and if he isn’t making good decisions he is coming out. When he starts he seems to relax into ol Devonte and have the comfort of thinking he has free reign to freelance. Devonte NEEDS a leash. He just does. Bringing him off the bench reminds him that and hopefully we continue to get good Devonte. I don’t think our guard play is solved but Rob is a big part of the puzzle going forward if we get his defense, playmaking, and decision making.

It’s been almost unwatchable at times ...if TJD wasn’t playing out of his mind most of the season  our overall offensive numbers would be impossible to stomach 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I get what he is saying. I’m not going to get so picky after a win but clearly making shots and the defensive intensity still covers up some problems with the team that he has seen over the past month. I agree the problem isn’t solved but I do think we have the right formula to overcome our short comings especially if Rob starts and sees more minutes. I don’t think he is just trying to be negative but pointing out we still have a glaring problem in the backcourt. If we play this hard all year and continue to knock down shots we will be fine but if either of those start to slip we are going to go back to our struggles. 

That all said I want to focus on the positive for today! Big win against a coach that likes to recruit our state! Keep it up Arch!

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Somebody in the game thread suggested we call CAM chompy because of him chewing gum during the game..as it turns out he loves to chew gum and that black cherry and grape are his favorite flavors..he went with grape for today’s game and since we won he is going to chew grape for the next game...can’t wait for him to be yelling at a ref and the gum come flying out his mouth and onto the floor...useless info I know, but...

That’s funny! Growing up Black Cherry and Grape mixed together was my favorite koolaid!

But today was ideal.   Plus, Archie was able to push the right buttons.  He also tried different tactics.  

It wasn’t the victory.  It was that we played a brand of ball, Indiana fans like and appreciate from our DNA.  The team was disciplined, it showed heart.

Honestly, we played a game that should have been a 20 point victory.   

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

But today was ideal.   Plus, Archie was able to push the right buttons.  He also tried different tactics.  

It wasn’t the victory.  It was that we played a brand of ball, Indiana fans like and appreciate from our DNA.  The team was disciplined, it showed heart.

Yes...I don’t know the numbers but if we hit 75% of our free throws we probably win going away. Still a good win but haven’t seen the best of this team.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Man you finally decide to come over to the actual basketball board and you come out with this negative stuff after a big win.  Did Brown not have a game that you could have gone to watch.

Lol they played last night and their game tonight was cancelled by the opponents for flu ....it may be exhaustive for you to go back and look but if you check this thread i made nothing but Positive  comments with the exception of our guard play ( particularly over the last 4 game stretch ) ....craster made a point about D Green being the first kid he’s railed on in forever and that his shot selection or decision making was poor even in the shots he made  and that other dude disagreed.  I would like to stress that I’m thrilled about today and ...in particular ...about the noticeable change in consistent effort because that is the one thing that translates even on bad shooting nights but if you want me to ignore any issues we have based on a win all I can say is I sure hope that’s not what our coaching staff does ...if you’re cool with beating 3-4 top 25 times a year and finishing in top half of big ten and fighting to make the tournament then yes our Inconsistent guard play is fine ...if you want to consistently contend for our conference title and be a tournament given who is expected to make runs then we can’t have four games stretches where out assist to turnover ratio is 40-57 and we shoot under 30% from outside 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get what he is saying. I’m not going to get so picky after a win but clearly making shots and the defensive intensity still covers up some problems with the team that he has seen over the past month. I agree the problem isn’t solved but I do think we have the right formula to overcome our short comings especially if Rob starts and sees more minutes. I don’t think he is just trying to be negative but pointing out we still have a glaring problem in the backcourt. If we play this hard all year and continue to knock down shots we will be fine but if either of those start to slip we are going to go back to our struggles. 

That all said I want to focus on the positive for today! Big win against a coach that likes to recruit our state! Keep it up Arch!

I agree and I want to have a chance to win those games where we don’t shoot the lights out which effort will help more than anything ....to that point give me your thoughts on robs assist numbers...I agree when healthy he’s our motor so is he not being aggressive enough or is the team not moving without the ball because his season average is lower than it should be dramatically for his ability ....you can tell he’s not a selfish player 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

THIS is an amazing post because you’re right ..our effort level has been SO inconsistent it’s been frustrating to watch ...from an effort perspective I think I would have been happy with today’s game even if we lost by a couple possessions because it was a step in the right direction 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...I don’t know the numbers but if we hit 75% of our free throws we probably win going away. Still a good win but haven’t seen the best of this team.

I think every single player contributed positively.  And the whole attitude of energy etc that Archie demanded really worked. 

Young guys think it’s corny, but doing the little things is what gets you into position to win.  If you make a bad entry pass, the player thinks it’s just about the nanosecond of that play.  As you mature, you realize everything you do, how you carry yourself, your habits, etc.,  put you in a mindset to make the right plays.  It’s why Wooden made the point by going over tying shoelaces on the first day of practice   Corny, but the relentless pursuit of perfection—to borrow a slogan—puts you in the frame of mind and attitude to make the right plays.  Being energetic, being engaged with your teammates, that’s all part of it.  The team that’s playing it cool and just shows up is liable to get its rear end handed to it by a lesser talented team that does the little things and always prepares. 

That’s disciplined coaching and we saw the benefit of it today.  That’s what’s garnered positivity.  It’s this type of thing that has been lacking.  I think the players may have seen in action today how this mindset truly works and hopefully they will buy in.  You know vets like Davis and Green, and on down the line, don’t want to go through their entire careers undistinguished and never tasting March madness.. 

Archived