Ohio State Postgame Thread

12 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Cool post game story. Little Keet and I went down on the floor after the game. He got meet Gus Johnson, who he impersonates all the time, and I got a video of them saying, “The Carnegie Hall of college basketball,” together. 

That's awesome. Gus has been my favorite for years....the IU butchering of Illinois from 2002 on YouTube is a great 8 minute clip of Gus.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Screenshot_20200111-220213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d34c30e21e915cd5f5e207a8ec35c035.jpg

Caption this! Looks like we got another coach that makes good faces! 

I do believe that might have been the charge call og Al when he "ran over" Caleb Wesson.  "Are you kidding me!?!?!  He weighs 270 f@&!#*g pounds!!!!!"  Gota love live tv. 😁

Buckle up time. 4 of the next 6 on the road with our two home games being Sparty and Maryland. That's why yesterday was so important. Really need to get 1 of these next two at Rutgers or at Nebraska just to offset potential home loss to the other two. Who am I kidding though. I try to find an area of the schedule where we can start stacking wins and just don't see the "easy" part of it.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Man you finally decide to come over to the actual basketball board and you come out with this negative stuff after a big win.  Did Brown not have a game that you could have gone to watch.

...and you all beat the hell out of him as soon as he ventures over. I'm sure he'll be encouraged to do so again after this warm reception. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Buckle up time. 4 of the next 6 on the road with our two home games being Sparty and Maryland. That's why yesterday was so important. Really need to get 1 of these next two at Rutgers or at Nebraska just to offset potential home loss to the other two. Who am I kidding though. I try to find an area of the schedule where we can start stacking wins and just don't see the "easy" part of it.

IMO this game was important because of the aftermath of the NW game.  Archie had to take drastic measures and throw down the gauntlet.  If the team hadn't responded favorably, I think things could (would) unravel disasterously.

I, too, was pleased with the play and demeanor of Jerome Hunter yesterday.  He seemed really into the game and was having fun - both would seem indicative of gaining comfort and confidence on the floor.  I've thought several times about what Don Fischer mentioned yesterday on the broadcast about Jerome's shooting in practice.  While we've of past players that supposedly lit it up in practice, Hunter actually came in with that reputation and was showing it before his medical issue.  It seems like it's only a matter of time before things start to really "click" for him in game action. I desperately hope so.

12 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When a coach says he is going to shorten the bench and then plays every scholarship player except the one who was sick annoys me.  I also do not like the substitution and line ups at times.  But I am happy we won today.  Go Hoosiers

Here’s the thing you’re just missing, he did not say I am now going to shorten the bench and play 8 players, or whatever (who would?).

He said he COULD play 5 players — he used that as motivation. He specifically responded to that question in the presser — I told them I could play 5 guys, and they responded. He talked about how guys weren’t practicing hard enough, not just playing, practicing, and how they responded.

That is exactly what a good coach does, he motivates / cajoles the players to play the way he demands, including using the bench (which CAM obviously had done on multiple occasions including with Green).

And it obviously worked, we got a committed team, with Green coming off the bench (about as obvious a change as could be), and we won handily, and obviously would’ve won in a blow out had they hit FTs, but you can’t find good or enjoyment in that? Oh well 

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Especially proud of the Hoosiers extending their lead and pulling away from a darn good basketball team in OSU.  

Happy for Jerome Hunter.  He’s been through plenty in the last year and to see him contribute positively was excellent.  

Great win!

I think a few things played into Hunter’s good day, 1) Archie chewing out the team and laying down some demands, I think that obviously impacted everyone, 2) he got into the paint which got him easy shots and to the free throw line, that’s is where you build confidence, and finally 3) I really think not looking over his shoulder and splitting minutes with Anderson helped. 

It’s so much easier to get into a rhythm and get comfortable when you get 15-20 minutes instead of 7-10. 

2 hours ago, mookied39 said:

Me too as I now live in Fort Myers.  They WERE pretty difficult to deal with during the Urban years that is for sure.

There’s an IU bar somewhere either in or right around Ft Myers, right? I’ve been, decent bar food. Tons of IU decorations inside

Just looked it up: Hoosiers in Paradise

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think a few things played into Hunter’s good day, 1) Archie chewing out the team and laying down some demands, I think that obviously impacted everyone, 2) he got into the paint which got him easy shots and to the free throw line, that’s is where you build confidence, and finally 3) I really think not looking over his shoulder and splitting minutes with Anderson helped. 

It’s so much easier to get into a rhythm and get comfortable when you get 15-20 minutes instead of 7-10. 

I do think the one substitution pattern that could hurt us or help us is the Anderson/Hunter one. If Hunter keeps showing up then I would like to see him get the minutes but it’ll be interesting to watch going forward. 

Rewatching the game, the announcers made such a big deal about IU's no field goals the last 9:57 of 1st half, but made no mention of the fact that OSU had a scoring drought of 6:42 between the end of the 1st half and start of the 2nd. If you extend it further, OSU scored their 31st point with 3:32 remaining in 1st half so OSU scored 3 points in a 10 minute span.

1 minute ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Rewatching the game, the announcers made such a big deal about IU's no field goals the last 9:57 of 1st half, but made no mention of the fact that OSU had a scoring drought of 6:42 between the end of the 1st half and start of the 2nd. If you extend it further, OSU scored their 31st point with 3:32 remaining in 1st half so OSU scored 3 points in a 10 minute span.

Didn't fit the narrative

Given the the color guy (no pun intended) is from OSU, I'm certainly not surprised. Plus, we haven't played worth a hoot up until yesterday, since the FSU game.

They were just hyping the team with the better odds of winning, although you could make the argument that since OSU had lost 3 in a row, IU should have gotten equal promo time at least. But...it is what it is.

You rank 'em, we'll spank 'em !

Archived