Ohio State Postgame Thread

10 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Lol they played last night and their game tonight was cancelled by the opponents for flu ....it may be exhaustive for you to go back and look but if you check this thread i made nothing but Positive  comments with the exception of our guard play ( particularly over the last 4 game stretch ) ....craster made a point about D Green being the first kid he’s railed on in forever and that his shot selection or decision making was poor even in the shots he made  and that other dude disagreed.  I would like to stress that I’m thrilled about today and ...in particular ...about the noticeable change in consistent effort because that is the one thing that translates even on bad shooting nights but if you want me to ignore any issues we have based on a win all I can say is I sure hope that’s not what our coaching staff does ...if you’re cool with beating 3-4 top 25 times a year and finishing in top half of big ten and fighting to make the tournament then yes our Inconsistent guard play is fine ...if you want to consistently contend for our conference title and be a tournament given who is expected to make runs then we can’t have four games stretches where out assist to turnover ratio is 40-57 and we shoot under 30% from outside 

Man where did I say I would be satisfied with that but go ahead and make a fool of yourself go ahead.  Man I know what it takes for IU to be champions since I have witnessed 3 national championships and a few other final four appearances.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Man where did I say I would be satisfied with that but go ahead and make a fool of yourself go ahead.  Man I know what it takes for IU to be champions since I have witnessed 3 national championships and a few other final four appearances.

Look I wasn’t meaning to be rude and didn’t mean to imply you haven’t been a long time fan who has watched our last 3 titles.  So are you agreeing with me about guard play and just saying I should enjoy the win and not critique or do you disagree with me about guard play and think it’s where it needs to be ?

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

You can enjoy an imperfect win. It's allowed. You can be happy we won and still admit we need work in certain areas. On this day, we scored more than a pretty talented team. That's all that matters.

Yes, who do we think this is? The 76 Hoosiers?😁

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Why do you not like Archie? Do you honestly think anyone could do better with this roster right now? Look at Roy Williams when he doesn’t have a bunch of 5 stars and high end 4 stars.. not pretty 

Just my personal opinion of him. They are lots of threads concerning this abs I don't want to start this one down that path.  We won and I an happy.  We needed it badly.  

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You can enjoy an imperfect win. It's allowed. You can be happy we won and still admit we need work in certain areas. On this day, we scored more than a pretty talented team. That's all that matters.

Which has been my sentiment ...as I would like to see more “ todays” ...preferably many more dare I say enough to risk getting used to them 

21 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I agree and I want to have a chance to win those games where we don’t shoot the lights out which effort will help more than anything ....to that point give me your thoughts on robs assist numbers...I agree when healthy he’s our motor so is he not being aggressive enough or is the team not moving without the ball because his season average is lower than it should be dramatically for his ability ....you can tell he’s not a selfish player 

Imo Rob is and hasn’t been healthy enough to play significant minutes at all this year to judge his play. He’d get an incomplete if I graded him. He just hasn’t been able to get into the flow of the game. Combine that with lack of movement and cutting when he drives is a problem. Honestly it’s a continuity issue. He hasn’t practiced etc so guys like Trayce and Justin and Jerome don’t know where he is going with the ball or wants to do. That’s why I’m worried he left the game hurt at the end. He is driving this car. If we are going some place it’s he who will guide us. Hope he is ok.

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Which has been my sentiment ...as I would like to see more “ todays” ...preferably many more dare I say enough to risk getting used to them 

The way this season has gone for all of college basketball, only one thing is guaranteed: nobody knows WTF is going to happen next.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who doesn’t “like” Archie has only proven they’ve lost all capacity for reason and are completely over the top. That guy is a class act and has done nothing but show that. Give me a break. 😡

Sorry I just don't like what I see, even today.  Glad we won though.  Go Hoosiers

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yes...there was improvement....that’s all I want to see....well and a win but improvement is important. We don’t have to get there all in one week. We can’t win all the games on our schedule in one day. I can’t say enough of the effort and focus. If we play with that we can over come a lot. If we want to win a B1G championship and contend for banners...well yes we have a ways to go....specifically starting with our guards. Bigs are important...every player is...but it’s hard to remember a really good IU team that wasn’t lead by our guards. Maybe Ricopedia can help me with that. But I’ll still go out on a limb and say most would agree that our best teams had really good guard play. Until we get a backcourt to those levels again...I’d venture to say we will remain mediocre. Now it takes a complete team bigs and all to win a championship but I’m just saying our good to great teams had excellent guards.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The way this season has gone for all of college basketball, only one thing is guaranteed: nobody knows WTF is going to happen next.

Which I think is what is frustrating...we aren’t a great team that’s clear...but given the level has come down this year in college basketball we have an opportunity to move the program forward...make a tournament and it would be a huge momentum for recruiting. Heck get in the tournament and I could easily see us make a S16 as get knocked out in the first. Anything can happen...but to miss this opportunity would be frustrating this year when the level is down so much. We just need a little consistency when everyone else isn’t playing consistent and we can win more than we lose even when we are out talented.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry I just don't like what I see, even today.  Glad we won though.  Go Hoosiers

I get it...but it isn’t likely to get any better than today. Honestly you should save yourself the anxiety if you can’t be happy with today’s effort. I know I’m going to be disappointed several more times this year but if you get no joy out of even the good games why subject yourself to watching at all. Does someone got you tied up in their basement eyes taped open forcing you?? If so it’s weird that you go onto this forum to complain about the game instead of messaging the police for help!

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes...there was improvement....that’s all I want to see....well and a win but improvement is important. We don’t have to get there all in one week. We can’t win all the games on our schedule in one day. I can’t say enough of the effort and focus. If we play with that we can over come a lot. If we want to win a B1G championship and contend for banners...well yes we have a ways to go....specifically starting with our guards. Bigs are important...every player is...but it’s hard to remember a really good IU team that wasn’t lead by our guards. Maybe Ricopedia can help me with that. But I’ll still go out on a limb and say most would agree that our best teams had really good guard play. Until we get a backcourt to those levels again...I’d venture to say we will remain mediocre. Now it takes a complete team bigs and all to win a championship but I’m just saying our good to great teams had excellent guards.

This is so true ...maybe now more than ever the game is increasingly guard driven 

17 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Is it just me or does Rob have text book form and lift on his jumper? Even his misses look like the should go in. Seriously, no sarcasm included. The kid can shoot the rock.

I noticed his misses are usually a little short or long but I see few bad misses when he is in rhythm. I want him to shoot more. He has a good stroke and I’m usually surprised when he misses because it looks so lined up.

Just finished re-watching the game again. Wanted to see how bad the officiating really was.

I kept track of blatant calls for both teams, not questionable calls, but blatant ones. Tried to be as objective as I could.

In the first half, I counted 6 absolutely horrible calls against IU. None for OSU. In the second half, I counted 2 blatant calls, vs 1 for OSU. Refs evidently thought they were in Columbus.

If three of those are called in IU's favor, it's probably 4 extra points, and more momentum. Plus we missed 16 free throws. Hit 50% of those misses (from good FT shooters, by the way), we beat them by 20.

3 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

This is the exact observation I had and it drove me absolutely nuts ...I’m absolutely thrilled they fell and we won but as I said earlier we won IN SPITE of our guard play which has been atrocious over a four game stretch ...it’s kinda like a live by green die by green approach at this point 

I’m calling BS, guys. Basketball, hell sports, are about what ACTUALLY happened, not what COULD HAVE happened. 

I have been one of DG’s toughest critics on this board recently (see my thread: Conspiracy Theory: Devonte Green). I watched the game, now I am looking at his line. Can you back your criticism up with stats?

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

This is so true ...maybe now more than ever the game is increasingly guard driven 

Yes up until the mid 80s I’d say it was equal or even big dominant game...then you had the late 80s through mid 90s that just had some loaded teams that every position was important etc but since the 2000s....if you had some bigs to rebound protect the paint and had an incredible backcourt you could make the final four. We don’t have that back court...not close. That said with better effort and play we can win enough games to make the NCAA.  We got it today...just hope it continues!

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get it...but it isn’t likely to get any better than today. Honestly you should save yourself the anxiety if you can’t be happy with today’s effort. I know I’m going to be disappointed several more times this year but if you get no joy out of even the good games why subject yourself to watching at all. Does someone got you tied up in their basement eyes taped open forcing you?? If so it’s weird that you go onto this forum to complain about the game instead of messaging the police for help!

I never really complained.  I said it was a good win and we needed it.  I also said I didn't like a few things.  It's ok to be happy with a win an still find fault in things.  I can compartmentalize

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

A dozen White Castles for a kid that age should be no problem.

Hell, I could probably clear a dozen white castles if I wasn't worried about the cloud of poison gas that would be emitting from my sphincter the next day.

Pretty sure that’s why they knocked down the old White Castle on 46 and 3rd st.  The EPA couldn’t let the pollution go on any longer.

Archived