Ohio State Postgame Thread

8 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I’m calling BS, guys. Basketball, hell sports, are about what ACTUALLY happened, not what COULD HAVE happened. 

I have been one of DG’s toughest critics on this board recently (see my thread: Conspiracy Theory: Devonte Green). I watched the game, now I am looking at his line. Can you back your criticism up with stats?

Yes I can ...stats and observation ( at the risk of being accused of being negative) ....I agree it’s about what happened and today we are all very happy because those did fall ....the issue craster was pointing out is since FSU his shot selection has been questionable his assists are low and he can be careless with the ball ...today he had no turnovers and played with as much effort as I’ve seen him play with he hit big shots ...I think what craster was saying is that his shot selection was similar to what it’s been the last 4-6 games people have complained about his play during.  Sometimes when you’re as talented as he is you overcome deficiency and I think he did ...from an effort and turnover standpoint it’s a huge step in the right direction if he maintains it ...I would love to see the forced or low percentage shots turn into hard drives and kicks or ball swinging 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I’m calling BS, guys. Basketball, hell sports, are about what ACTUALLY happened, not what COULD HAVE happened. 

I have been one of DG’s toughest critics on this board recently (see my thread: Conspiracy Theory: Devonte Green). I watched the game, now I am looking at his line. Can you back your criticism up with stats?

Agree about Devonte. He is the only guy on this team that can create his own shot really. He is the only one that can make contested shots. He is the guy that can bail us out of a poor possession or late shot clock. He is going to take more “bad” shots than anyone because of this. He is also going to make more. He has to be that guy for us...and that is just who he is. I’d venture to say 90% of us are typically more upset with his turnovers than his shot selection most games. The shots he made were not bad shots for him.....Al...sure but those Devonte can and needs to make those. I wish the team was good enough not to need that from him....and we didn’t need all of them but we need 14-15pts from him. He is good enough to make that.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes up until the mid 80s I’d say it was equal or even big dominant game...then you had the late 80s through mid 90s that just had some loaded teams that every position was important etc but since the 2000s....if you had some bigs to rebound protect the paint and had an incredible backcourt you could make the final four. We don’t have that back court...not close. That said with better effort and play we can win enough games to make the NCAA.  We got it today...just hope it continues!

Amen

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I really don't want to get this thread into that.  I really just haven't liked our product over the floor.  It's going to take more than one game to change my mind.  Glad we won.  Go hosier's

I didn’t mean to imply to expound on coaching if you didn’t like it I was just wondering if that was the only element or if other areas ( effort, positional play, defense , etc ) were of concern 

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When a coach says he is going to shorten the bench and then plays every scholarship player except the one who was sick annoys me.  I also do like the substitution and line ups at times.  But I am happy we won today.  Go Hoosiers

Did he say that? Or, did he say something to the effect of “I’ll play five guys” in order to get the effort we need? Because, I thought it was something like what just mentioned. Which, is basically a hyperbolic way of shooting across the bow.

Here is what he said: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjDxK7l__zmAhVBm-AKHYwNCF0QtwIwAHoECAcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJVXvpQmmsZs&usg=AOvVaw0D1ZuQhLdAk1Q4tZzT8wtO

2:43

”I don’t know if the eleven man rotation will work...it might be five...I don’t know.”

You peeved about anything else Archie related? 

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When a coach says he is going to shorten the bench and then plays every scholarship player except the one who was sick annoys me.  I also do like the substitution and line ups at times.  But I am happy we won today.  Go Hoosiers

I was surprised too...and I think Archie meant during the game he would shorten the bench. I mean what point does it make to predetermine before the game you aren’t going to play guys. To me it’s more important how you adjust during the game in shortening the bench by what you see happening. Who today should have been benched? Everyone gave good energy and good minutes...and I might say it was because they knew if they didn’t play with energy and attention they WOULD be on the bench. Now if next week we got guys still not giving energy and playing...that’s a problem. They came to play today though and Archie played everyone. We haven’t seen that all year really.

1 minute ago, zerawkid said:

Did he say that? Or, did he say something to the effect of “I’ll play five guys” in order to get the effort we need? Because, I thought it was something like what just mentioned. Which, is basically a hyperbolic way of shooting across the bow.

Here is what he said: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjDxK7l__zmAhVBm-AKHYwNCF0QtwIwAHoECAcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJVXvpQmmsZs&usg=AOvVaw0D1ZuQhLdAk1Q4tZzT8wtO

2:43

”I don’t know if the eleven man rotation will work...it might be five...I don’t know.”

You peeved about anything else Archie related? 

Why does it bother you so much that I don't particularly like the product we have put on the floor or if I just don't like CAM. Maybe I interpreted his remarks differently.  I also said I an happy with the win.  One game isn't going to change my mind yet.  I also have not in this thread attacked CAM or Green or anyone else.  I made generic statements that didn't derail the thread and said good game, we needed it.

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Yes I can ...stats and observation ( at the risk of being accused of being negative) ....I agree it’s about what happened and today we are all very happy because those did fall ....the issue craster was pointing out is since FSU his shot selection has been questionable his assists are low and he can be careless with the ball ...today he had no turnovers and played with as much effort as I’ve seen him play with he hit big shots ...I think what craster was saying is that his shot selection was similar to what it’s been the last 4-6 games people have complained about his play during.  Sometimes when you’re as talented as he is you overcome deficiency and I think he did ...from an effort and turnover standpoint it’s a huge step in the right direction if he maintains it ...I would love to see the forced or low percentage shots turn into hard drives and kicks or ball swinging 

He shot 5/8, 2/3 from 3, hit his freebies, grabbed some boards and didn’t turn the ball over. This is the post game thread for today’s game against OSU. I think the intimation is that we discussed what actually happened in today’s game. 

I asked specifically for you guys to show me with stats how we won DESPITE Devonte’s play rather than because of it. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I was surprised too...and I think Archie meant during the game he would shorten the bench. I mean what point does it make to predetermine before the game you aren’t going to play guys. To me it’s more important how you adjust during the game in shortening the bench by what you see happening. Who today should have been benched? Everyone gave good energy and good minutes...and I might say it was because they knew if they didn’t play with energy and attention they WOULD be on the bench. Now if next week we got guys still not giving energy and playing...that’s a problem. They came to play today though and Archie played everyone. We haven’t seen that all year really.

I never said they didn't come to play.  Didn't day I wasnt happy with the win.  Just made a couple comments about what I thought shortening t bench meant to me.  When I hear shorten bench, I think 7  players but that is just my interpretation of the comments.  I am not trying to be negative, just some thoughts.  Again, happy for the win!

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Why does it bother you so much that I don't particularly like the product we have put on the floor or if I just don't like CAM. Maybe I interpreted his remarks differently.  I also said I an happy with the win.  One game isn't going to change my mind yet.  I also have not in this thread attacked CAM or Green or anyone else.  I made generic statements that didn't derail the thread and said good game, we needed it.

“Interpreted his remarks differently?” Buddy, to be completely fair, Archie doesn’t leave a lot to interpretation. He’s pretty clear with his words. Watch the video and tell me how you get what you clearly thought he said from what he actually said.

It doesn’t bother me, per se, but, I think it’s important to stay true to facts. They matter. What you claim he said, he unequivocally did not say. You were annoyed because you believe he said something and didn’t follow through, wherein, that just wasn’t the case.

Criticize things until the cows come home, just make sure you get it right. That’s all I’m saying.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I never said they didn't come to play.  Didn't day I wasnt happy with the win.  Just made a couple comments about what I thought shortening t bench meant to me.  When I hear shorten bench, I think 7  players but that is just my interpretation of the comments.  I am not trying to be negative, just some thoughts.  Again, happy for the win!

I got it.,.i see where you are coming from just glad Archie didn’t NEED to shorten the bench. I wasn’t disappointed he didn’t. In fact if he did we probably don’t win the game because I think it was the constant wave of energy brought by the deep bench that overwhelmed OSU. I would be disappointed in the future though if Archie doesn’t sit guys that aren’t bringing energy and heart in the future and will watch for it.

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When a coach says he is going to shorten the bench and then plays every scholarship player except the one who was sick annoys me.  I also do not like the substitution and line ups at times.  But I am happy we won today.  Go Hoosiers

We ended the game with Brunk & TJD with 4 fouls and RP & AD with 3 we needed everyone who played today to manage fouls and fatigue. Something that CAM does really well is use TV timeouts to give guys extended breaks 

7 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

He shot 5/8, 2/3 from 3, hit his freebies, grabbed some boards and didn’t turn the ball over. This is the post game thread for today’s game against OSU. I think the intimation is that we discussed what actually happened in today’s game. 

I asked specifically for you guys to show me with stats how we won DESPITE Devonte’s play rather than because of it. 

Oh then you apparently didn’t read my posts where I said he took care of the ball and gave good effort and that he hit his shots especially big ones we needed I just wasn’t thrilled with his shot selection as it is similar to the last 5 games that he hasn’t played well ....I’m as pumped as anyone about today but I’m also not the type to say “ oh d green has played the exact same as he has the last 5 games except his shots fell so that makes everything fine”  that’s not how it works  he showed my effort consistently start to finish tonight which I loved but I still think he makes poor decisions ....if you want me to post the states for the last five games it will be tough to argue otherwise.  With his talent if he would be smarter on offense and choose his shots and spots he would be more efficient and we would win more games ...again today was great but I also am not going to live in a world where I can count on him ( or anyone for that matter ) regularly make some of the shots he did today just like craster said 

16 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I'm Craster!!! The guy with a million posts!  I have a new identity!  😁😁😁

I am loving this!

And yes, that's what I have said. Green's shot fell today. The crazy, leg scissoring shots fell. It still doesn't make it a good shot. I am glad we won, I am a supporter of the team and coach.  I still claim that while DeVonte's numbers looked good today those exact same shots won't fall the next 4 games and we will be back to complaining about him. Instead of praising him for overcoming poor decisions I wish he would just stop making poor decisions. Just my opinion. Go Hoosiers!

6 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

They knocked down the White Castle???? I was there when it opened. They had to have police directing traffic on 46 for weeks!

Also, that's the way it was when the Chipotle on Kirkwood opened. Only time I've ever seen a line LITERALLY around the block.

1 minute ago, Colonialcrester said:

I'm Craster!!! The guy with a million posts!  I have a new identity!  😁😁😁

I am loving this!

And yes, that's what I have said. Green's shot fell today. The crazy, leg scissoring shots fell. It still doesn't make it a good shot. I am glad we won, I am a supporter of the team and coach.  I still claim that while DeVonte's numbers looked good today those exact same shots won't fall the next 4 games and we will be back to complaining about him. Instead of praising him for overcoming poor decisions I wish he would just stop making poor decisions. Just my opinion. Go Hoosiers!

Sorry 😬 it’s crester and a bajillion posts ...but either way ...you’re exactly on point ...I yelled as a couple of the shots were taken and I know arch had to be cursing as they went up 

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Oh then you apparently didn’t read my posts where I said he took care of the ball and gave good effort and that he hit his shots especially big ones we needed I just wasn’t thrilled with his shot selection as it is similar to the last 5 games that he hasn’t played well ....I’m as pumped as anyone about today but I’m also not the type to say “ oh d green has played the exact same as he has the last 5 games except his shots fell so that makes everything fine”  that’s not how it works  he showed my effort consistently start to finish tonight which I loved but I still think he makes poor decisions ....if you want me to post the states for the last five games it will be tough to argue otherwise.  With his talent if he would be smarter on offense and choose his shots and spots he would be more efficient and we would win more games ...again today was great but I also am not going to live in a world where I can count on him ( or anyone for that matter ) regularly make some of the shots he did today just like craster said 

I think he made mainly good decisions today. A vast majority of his decisions (and shots) were good, within the rhythm and flow of the offense. I’m not saying all, but most.

We aren’t generally disagreeing, it seems.

19 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

“Interpreted his remarks differently?” Buddy, to be completely fair, Archie doesn’t leave a lot to interpretation. He’s pretty clear with his words. Watch the video and tell me how you get what you clearly thought he said from what he actually said.

It doesn’t bother me, per se, but, I think it’s important to stay true to facts. They matter. What you claim he said, he unequivocally did not say. You were annoyed because you believe he said something and didn’t follow through, wherein, that just wasn’t the case.

Criticize things until the cows come home, just make sure you get it right. That’s all I’m saying.

When I listened to the post game it sounded to me and others I believe that he was going to shorten the bench.  Sorry if what I think doesn't meet with your standards or opinions.  I am done explaining myself.  Please let it go and I will stop responding to you

Thanks

4 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Sorry 😬 it’s crester and a bajillion posts ...but either way ...you’re exactly on point ...I yelled as a couple of the shots were taken and I know arch had to be cursing as they went up 

All good. I looks like it was just you and I that were yelling. The game is being replayed right now on Fox sports and I am still thinking the same thing. But HoosierHoopster could be right that I am looking at it from a biased view. 

11 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I think he made mainly good decisions today. A vast majority of his decisions (and shots) were good, within the rhythm and flow of the offense. I’m not saying all, but most.

We aren’t generally disagreeing, it seems.

DG is IU’s Trent Frazier. He’s a 40% shooter. Today he was 0-8 from 3 against Rutgers. Next game he may be 5-6. Just who they are. Coaches just have to figure out how to best use them when on and limit damage when not

Archived