Ohio State Postgame Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Didn't fit the narrative

I remember the one time Jimmy Jackson decided to comment on a potential travel one of our guys had down the stretch, he was conveniently quiet the rest of the game through the innumerable drags of pivot feet and feet shuffling into shots of the OSU.

I literally lost my marbles at that point.

I don’t think these guys should be allowed to comment on games in which their Alma Mater is involved.

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I remember the one time Jimmy Jackson decided to comment on a potential travel one of our guys had down the stretch, he was conveniently quiet the rest of the game through the innumerable drags of pivot feet and feet shuffling into shots of the OSU.

I literally lost my marbles at that point.

I don’t think these guys should be allowed to comment on games in which their Alma Mater is involved.

The two guys who don’t show bias are Bardo and Hummel. Sean Morris doesn’t either, but NW rarely gets overly favorable officiating 

17 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Look I wasn’t meaning to be rude and didn’t mean to imply you haven’t been a long time fan who has watched our last 3 titles.  So are you agreeing with me about guard play and just saying I should enjoy the win and not critique or do you disagree with me about guard play and think it’s where it needs to be ?

What I am saying is watch it as a fan and don't think you are a coach.  You don't have to critique every little aspect of the game or watch film for all the problems we have.  I used to worry to much about how we played instead  of the results and to me it made it less fun as a fan.  Now I am happy with a win and expect the coaches to fix the problems we are having because I have no say in it as a fan.

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The two guys who don’t show bias are Bardo and Hummel. Sean Morris doesn’t either, but NW rarely gets overly favorable officiating 

I had a chance to meet and talk to Shawn Morris for a couple of minutes before an IU game I traveled back for in Nov. Really nice guy.

Told him I enjoyed his "work". He said: "Believe me. I have a job, and I do this. This... isn't work!"

The guys like Morris, Bardo, Kellogg, have been removed from playing the game for long enough to lose most of their bias

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Which I think is what is frustrating...we aren’t a great team that’s clear...but given the level has come down this year in college basketball we have an opportunity to move the program forward...make a tournament and it would be a huge momentum for recruiting. Heck get in the tournament and I could easily see us make a S16 as get knocked out in the first. Anything can happen...but to miss this opportunity would be frustrating this year when the level is down so much. We just need a little consistency when everyone else isn’t playing consistent and we can win more than we lose even when we are out talented.

Right now we are 13-3 and have put ourselves in position to do that

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is watch it as a fan and don't think you are a coach.  You don't have to critique every little aspect of the game or watch film for all the problems we have.  I used to worry to much about how we played instead  of the results and to me it made it less fun as a fan.  Now I am happy with a win and expect the coaches to fix the problems we are having because I have no say in it as a fan.

Well that is true ..and would probably be better for my blood pressure but I have a hard time separating the two in our current circumstance.  If this was early to mid 90’s I think I’d have that confidence level to do that because we had all three ( coach, program , and players ) .  To Kinda follow up on bob s previous comment the Ohio state game was finally one to feel proud of the program for because it seemed like we had all three phases ...I would have been proud of this game even if we lost.  It used to be that’s how it ALWAYS was and maybe once in a rare while we’d be out couched or out hustled or out played but definitely never all three.  The last 6 or so years it’s been more common to be out hustled or have our opponents play smarter.  I really want us to do what we did yesterday consistently ( win or lose ) but to do that I think we have work in our backcourt and I haven’t seen much to show it’s better even yesterday so I don’t wanna pretend it doesn’t exist 

3 hours ago, HoagieRoll said:

Good win. Caught the recap. Good things happen when we drive the ball and go up with a purpose or kick out to open guys. 

I think hitting some early 3's helped with those driving lanes a bit too.  When Rob hit those 3 early, it makes the defense have to step out and respect that you can hit them.

a couple of random thoughts on the game.

• I didn't think Davis traveled. Saw that same play about 50 times in the game
  • didn't think it was goal tend either,
  • a couple of "listen ins" on the coaches were really cool.  Hartmann telling his team to be tougher on the ball and IU goes on a scoring drought.  Miller explaining where to attack and IU starts getting to the basket.  Oh, and Miller telling the team that getting beat down the floor is unacceptable.
  • and, well, free throws for crying out loud.  The basket doesn't move, no one is guarding you, and "they're free". (and if J Hulls wants to come back to the US, I'd have him on the bench the next day as a shooting coach.)

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Here’s the thing you’re just missing, he did not say I am now going to shorten the bench and play 8 players, or whatever (who would?).

He said he COULD play 5 players — he used that as motivation. He specifically responded to that question in the presser — I told them I could play 5 guys, and they responded. He talked about how guys weren’t practicing hard enough, not just playing, practicing, and how they responded.

That is exactly what a good coach does, he motivates / cajoles the players to play the way he demands, including using the bench (which CAM obviously had done on multiple occasions including with Green).

And it obviously worked, we got a committed team, with Green coming off the bench (about as obvious a change as could be), and we won handily, and obviously would’ve won in a blow out had they hit FTs, but you can’t find good or enjoyment in that? Oh well 

Why can't I just have my opinion and still enjoy the win.  Jesus guys.  Just because I have issues with things doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching us play better and win.  Just let it go.  I have tried to not make these post about what I think is wrong but just make some statements about what his saying he was going to shorten the bench.  I am happy we won.  I liked how we played.  Just let me have my opinions with hammering me for still seeing things I don't like

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Why can't I just have my opinion and still enjoy the win.  Jesus guys.  Just because I have issues with things doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching us play better and win.  Just let it go.  I have tried to not make these post about what I think is wrong but just make some statements about what his saying he was going to shorten the bench.  I am happy we won.  I liked how we played.  Just let me have my opinions with hammering me for still seeing things I don't like

How dare you not lile things!    ;)

47 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh hey you’re entitled to your opinion no worries and didn’t say you weren’t, but when you post an opinion about CAM not shortening the bench as a problem, I have an opinion about that myself 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh hey you’re entitled to your opinion no worries and didn’t say you weren’t, but when you post an opinion about CAM not shortening the bench as a problem, I have an opinion about that myself 

We hashed this out last night. It wasn’t so much him having an opinion as it was him basing it on something CAM never said. 

Archived