Devonte Green

So we all know about the wide world of Devonte Green. He is essentially his own reality tv show on the court. Sometimes he’s fun to watch and sometimes he’s a train wreck that we yell at the tv but can’t stop watching. My question for y’all is why do you think he is so inconsistent like this when he is a senior. He clearly has the tangibles to be a good player and he has a coaching staff who watches film with him on top of having an NBA player brother. Him being a headcase to me isn’t an acceptable reason because of al of the reasons listed above. How can a 4 year player still be so inconsistent/ a headcase if that’s what your answer would be.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think his  adrenaline get the best of him. Even when he is play well you can see him getting faster and faster until he is out of control. You would think as a senior in college he would have matured enough to control that, but he hasn’t. Even yesterday he got that put back after a missed free throw. The crowd got fired up next time he came down the court with the ball he started shaking and baking before the offense even started to run it’s play. The result was a unforced turnover. 
I believe in his mine he feels no one can guard him and he is our best chance to score. His mind stops think of how the play is set to run it only thinks of his next move. You know that every coach he ever had tried to get him out of that play ground mode,but I think that’s the only style that gets him engaged in the game. 

He kinda reminds me of Jay Cutler, and i hate saying that because i cant stand Jay Cutler.  Cutler once said he had a better arm than Brett Favre.  He thought he could make any throw any time in any situation (sorta like Mahomes other than the fact Mahomes can).  The only problem is even with his incredible arm, he couldnt pass up the big downfield pass when the 4 yard check down was the right play.

Now i honestly think DG is the best shooter and passer we have on the team, he just doesnt know when to check down or throw the go route into double coverage.

He is a good shooter, but where I think he has major problems is in his passing.

He has the ability, and can make a great pass, but he doesn't consider the quality of the "hands" of the guy he's passing TO. A great pass is only as good as the guy catching the ball.

And he forgets way too often that he's on a team. He doesn't need to beat everybody, every time, 1 on 1. If they run a clear-out for him, that's one thing, but if they don't run the clear out, that's quite another.

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

He kinda reminds me of Jay Cutler, and i hate saying that because i cant stand Jay Cutler.  Cutler once said he had a better arm than Brett Favre.  He thought he could make any throw any time in any situation (sorta like Mahomes other than the fact Mahomes can).  The only problem is even with his incredible arm, he couldnt pass up the big downfield pass when the 4 yard check down was the right play.

Now i honestly think DG is the best shooter and passer we have on the team, he just doesnt know when to check down or throw the go route into double coverage.

Damn if that isn't accurate.

Favre was in that category early in his career, but he finally learned to *occasionally* make that check down instead of uncorking one.

9 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So we all know about the wide world of Devonte Green. He is essentially his own reality tv show on the court. Sometimes he’s fun to watch and sometimes he’s a train wreck that we yell at the tv but can’t stop watching. My question for y’all is why do you think he is so inconsistent like this when he is a senior. He clearly has the tangibles to be a good player and he has a coaching staff who watches film with him on top of having an NBA player brother. Him being a headcase to me isn’t an acceptable reason because of al of the reasons listed above. How can a 4 year player still be so inconsistent/ a headcase if that’s what your answer would be.

Maybe having that NBA brother who made it isn't so easy to carry around with you...especially if you don't quite have the same abilities.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Seriously, though...Devonte's problem is decision making...yes, he can shoot...yes, he can pass...and he's a good on the ball defender...

But the great ones make the good decisions most of the time...and Devonte struggles with that game to game...

Can't disagree with you here.  Seems his head at times gets in the way of his talent. Though, I thought he managed his decision making process better against OSU.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Can't disagree with you here.  Seems his head at times gets in the way of his talent. Though, I thought he managed his decision making process better against OSU.

He did...big question is, can it carry over even to the next game?

Even after his brilliant 30 against FSU, he had 10, 6, 5, and 11...

His high since then and before yesterday was 18 against Maryland, but most of those were when the priest was already hovering over us saying a few choice Latin words...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He did...big question is, can it carry over even to the next game?

Even after his brilliant 30 against FSU, he had 10, 6, 5, and 11...

His high since then and before yesterday was 18 against Maryland, but most of those were when the priest was already hovering over us saying a few choice Latin words...

Consistently, Inconsistent.  A phrase I have been using in terms of our team over all. But applies to Devonte.   Just would love to see him game after game, knowing he is one we can depend on from game to game. Just be consistently ..... the good Devonte. 

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Consistently, Inconsistent.  A phrase I have been using in terms of our team over all. But applies to Devonte.   Just would love to see him game after game, knowing he is one we can depend on from game to game. Just be consistently ..... the good Devonte. 

I was in the camp for promoting DG to assistant coach sitting next to CAM knowing full well that we would probably be sacrificing the season.  However, it is also inarguable, that good DG is the key to making this team an upper echelon possibly top 10 team as well.  DG is CAM's worse coaching canundrom.

On 1/12/2020 at 2:36 PM, IU Scott said:

Sounds to me he sometimes lacks work ethic and does not play hard all the time,  Archie said in practice lately he has been playing soft and Archie told him you can't practice soft and expect to play hard in games.

That may be right. From all we have read he has a very guarded personality and has a hard time trusting people. I am not surprised at that given some of the difficulties of his childhood. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have some of the same emotions as someone who had been orphaned or abandoned. In that case, I can take a guess that he sometimes has a hard time fully investing himself because he may feel like he is only going to be abandoned by the coaching staff or others who he has a hard time trusting. 

Probably I shouldn't take such liberty in psychoanalyzing people who I don't know (or even those I do know) but I do think you could easily make a connection between someone having a hard time trusting those around them and not being able to play in a fully invested manner at all times.

33 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

That may be right. From all we have read he has a very guarded personality and has a hard time trusting people. I am not surprised at that given some of the difficulties of his childhood. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have some of the same emotions as someone who had been orphaned or abandoned. In that case, I can take a guess that he sometimes has a hard time fully investing himself because he may feel like he is only going to be abandoned by the coaching staff or others who he has a hard time trusting. 

Probably I shouldn't take such liberty in psychoanalyzing people who I don't know (or even those I do know) but I do think you could easily make a connection between someone having a hard time trusting those around them and not being able to play in a fully invested manner at all times.

He’s from Brooklyn, right? This seems to just be a big city MO. Lots of native New Yorkers are raised to feel that most folks are out to take advantage of them. Might be a big reason Devonte decided to give the Midwest a shot for college.

25 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

He’s from Brooklyn, right? This seems to just be a big city MO. Lots of native New Yorkers are raised to feel that most folks are out to take advantage of them. Might be a big reason Devonte decided to give the Midwest a shot for college.

He grew up in North Babylon, NY, out on Long Island. Went to Long Island Lutheran HS.

This is a good article on Devonte and his mindset

He's had some rough times...

So, poking around some numbers this morning, and I came across something I found fascinating.  Against the last three ranked teams on our schedule (OSU, MD, and FSU) Devonte shot 10/17 from 3 and scored 67 points.  Against the last three non-ranked teams (Neb, Rutgers, and NW), he shot 1/9 from 3 and scored 4 points.  I guess that is the definition of playing to your competition (or inconsistency).  I hope this pattern holds true as we get into the thick of the B1G schedule.

7 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So, poking around some numbers this morning, and I came across something I found fascinating.  Against the last three ranked teams on our schedule (OSU, MD, and FSU) Devonte shot 10/17 from 3 and scored 67 points.  Against the last three non-ranked teams (Neb, Rutgers, and NW), he shot 1/9 from 3 and scored 4 points.  I guess that is the definition of playing to your competition (or inconsistency).  I hope this pattern holds true as we get into the thick of the B1G schedule.

Yeah, holds true or, I dare say, evens out. I would take a consistent Devonte over any other type of Devonte at this point.

53 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Glad you found these. It does seem that Devonte ups his play vs better competition. Hope it rings true this week. Can't wait for Thursday.

Archived