Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

DG has given 4 years to IU and he’ll always be a Hoosier, I respect that he came to play in Bloomington.I also very much appreciate his tougher than most upbringing, something I can never fully comprehend. But last night was the last straw for me. His very first possession told me all I needed to know about what we were going to get from him last night. You could feel an immediate change in flow and tempo. He nonchalantly dribbled around up top with no purpose, tried to make a pass that got blocked, got the ball back and dribbled around aimlessly for another 7-8 seconds and heaved up a prayer. I’ve seen that movie for the last time. Hope he is very successful wherever life takes him after IU but if I’m Archie, and my job depends on it, he’s on the bench save for a few minute spurts of rest for Rob, Al or Franklin from here on out. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

DG has given 4 years to IU and he’ll always be a Hoosier, I respect that he came to play in Bloomington.I also very much appreciate his tougher than most upbringing, something I can never fully comprehend. But last night was the last straw for me. His very first possession told me all I needed to know about what we were going to get from him last night. You could feel an immediate change in flow and tempo. He nonchalantly dribbled around up top with no purpose, tried to make a pass that got blocked, got the ball back and dribbled around aimlessly for another 7-8 seconds and heaved up a prayer. I’ve seen that movie for the last time. Hope he is very successful wherever life takes him after IU but if I’m Archie, and my job depends on it, he’s on the bench save for a few minute spurts of rest for Rob, Al or Franklin from here on out. 

I have to agree! There was no doubt after he came in that the offense went haywire. Guys we’re moving but he just kept dribbling. Everyone knew he was going to shoot so they just stopped and stood. The shot he ended taking was a force heave that he had almost no chance of hitting. Not even sure what he was trying to do. It didn’t even look like he was trying to drive. Just wait for the clock to run down then shoot this crazy three. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at this point we can trust the coaching staff to get as much from the last couple months of Devonte's College career as will help the team. I think that at a certain point we have said our piece and now all we have left to do if cheer for the team. I think that we will see him hit a few more big shots, and I think that we may feel like the way things have unfolded will be one giant "what if"? with him....but I don't see any good coming out of crushing him any more than has already happened. 

Deron was getting shredded to pieces two weeks ago and has had a really solid two week stretch of play. 

We don't know everything that goes on and aren't omniscient narrators of the thought processes for Devonte. I think that we can observe that the coaching staff has a handle on it though and have rotations working that have gotten a good amount out of a fairly thin (in terms of numbers) guard corps...

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think Green will be big for us down the stretch. He is a strong scorer / outside shooter, and a strong defender. He has, and can be a major plus / x factor / offensive weapon. I tend to think he'll get focused again, and will get comfortable in a 6th-man role. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't understand a player like Green who has all the tools to be a very good player but just don't seems like he cares about being that good player.  It just seems like lately when he comes in he is just to laid back and he is just out there going through the emotions.  I just get tired of the lazy passes or his just trying to dribble around through his legs and not getting anywhere while doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he would dribble more tightly to his body, and not so flamboyantly, he could be so much better - he gets pressured intensely by opposing defenders and he has to turn his back, which slows down our offense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoosier76 said:

Fair enough. I’d just as soon he stop doing it at all lol

I'll take one bad shot per game in exchange for the defense he brings.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mchenry34 said:

I think at this point we can trust the coaching staff to get as much from the last couple months of Devonte's College career as will help the team. I think that at a certain point we have said our piece and now all we have left to do if cheer for the team. I think that we will see him hit a few more big shots, and I think that we may feel like the way things have unfolded will be one giant "what if"? with him....but I don't see any good coming out of crushing him any more than has already happened. 

Deron was getting shredded to pieces two weeks ago and has had a really solid two week stretch of play. 

We don't know everything that goes on and aren't omniscient narrators of the thought processes for Devonte. I think that we can observe that the coaching staff has a handle on it though and have rotations working that have gotten a good amount out of a fairly thin (in terms of numbers) guard corps...

Very true comment regarding De'Ron...and I wasn't positive in some of my comments earlier, as you said.  But he's been pretty good the last couple of games.  He can really help in certain situational matchups.  It's great to see him contribute.   👍👍

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DG (to me) has developed a couple canned, auto-response moves. Behind the back dribble upon .01” of a second pressure, dribble dribble dribble step backwards SHOOT, sulk. 
 

there’s zero doubt in my mind that he himself, on a personal thought level, doesn’t realize that these moves don’t work. I honestly think he understands this. But no matter how much prep and planning, when the lights turn on and the crowd is cheering, his motor goes much faster than the car can stick it to the ground. 
 

It may be a form of Autism? His brain runs about .7 seconds faster than his body. 
 

like everyone else, throwing some pasta  against the wall. He’ll figure it out I am sure, but it will be far to long to be consistent enough for us fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Devonte is we are saying the same thing’s his senior year as we did his freshmen year. There is no improvement in his game that I can tell. Yes we will cheer when good Devonte shows up to play. We will shake our heads an scream GET HIM out of there when bad Devonte shows up to play. 
You can see the improvement in the other players. So it’s Devonte,s issues. What ever that may be. A refusal to change are just plain not being able to change. It is what it is. We will need him at some point I just hope it’s when it really counts. Not against the mop up crew at the end of a game that’s done been decided. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't understand a player like Green who has all the tools to be a very good player but just don't seems like he cares about being that good player.  It just seems like lately when he comes in he is just to laid back and he is just out there going through the emotions.  I just get tired of the lazy passes or his just trying to dribble around through his legs and not getting anywhere while doing it.

My old lady is in menopause. She is going through the emotions too. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:52 PM, IUFan4Life said:

I've been saying the same thing to my Fiancee all year! I think I remember some guys saying that late last year as well. He is SO much better on the catch & shoot. Now, that step back....🙄

I do hope the kid can finish the year strong. As much as he frustrates me at times, he's a Hoosier and deserves my support, not condemnation.

AMEN, I hope the rest of HSN gets it!  Future recruits will see how HN treat their faithful, especially with a hi profile name like Green.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 7:49 PM, Bob said:

The thing about Devonte is we are saying the same thing’s his senior year as we did his freshmen year. There is no improvement in his game that I can tell. Yes we will cheer when good Devonte shows up to play. We will shake our heads an scream GET HIM out of there when bad Devonte shows up to play. 
You can see the improvement in the other players. So it’s Devonte,s issues. What ever that may be. A refusal to change are just plain not being able to change. It is what it is. We will need him at some point I just hope it’s when it really counts. Not against the mop up crew at the end of a game that’s done been decided. 

His numbers do not back up the idea that there has been no improvement, he went from 4ppg to nearly 11. He would have been a good fit with Crean: he loves 3's and doesn't mind turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, mchenry34 said:

I think at this point we can trust the coaching staff to get as much from the last couple months of Devonte's College career as will help the team. I think that at a certain point we have said our piece and now all we have left to do if cheer for the team. I think that we will see him hit a few more big shots, and I think that we may feel like the way things have unfolded will be one giant "what if"? with him....but I don't see any good coming out of crushing him any more than has already happened. 

Deron was getting shredded to pieces two weeks ago and has had a really solid two week stretch of play. 

We don't know everything that goes on and aren't omniscient narrators of the thought processes for Devonte. I think that we can observe that the coaching staff has a handle on it though and have rotations working that have gotten a good amount out of a fairly thin (in terms of numbers) guard corps...

Well said, thank you!  At this point, you can arguably state the entire team has its good games vs bad games but at the end of the day we’re all Hoosiers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devonte certainly has value on this team, but I don't know that we necessarily "need" him at this point. I will say that he made a couple of really nice no look entry passes to the post on Sunday, which seems to be a struggle for our guards in general, and we got to see "good" Devonte for the most part (and, to be fair, he got stuck taking a couple of shots with the shot clock running down). But, with the continued improvement of AF and JH, I'm ok with those guys getting more of Devonte's minutes, especially when we're seeing signs of "bad" Devonte early on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Devonte certainly has value on this team, but I don't know that we necessarily "need" him at this point. I will say that he made a couple of really nice no look entry passes to the post on Sunday, which seems to be a struggle for our guards in general, and we got to see "good" Devonte for the most part (and, to be fair, he got stuck taking a couple of shots with the shot clock running down). But, with the continued improvement of AF and JH, I'm ok with those guys getting more of Devonte's minutes, especially when we're seeing signs of "bad" Devonte early on. 

I'd say we need him for depth, but I think I know what you're saying...We don't necessarily need him to win...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Devonte certainly has value on this team, but I don't know that we necessarily "need" him at this point. I will say that he made a couple of really nice no look entry passes to the post on Sunday, which seems to be a struggle for our guards in general, and we got to see "good" Devonte for the most part (and, to be fair, he got stuck taking a couple of shots with the shot clock running down). But, with the continued improvement of AF and JH, I'm ok with those guys getting more of Devonte's minutes, especially when we're seeing signs of "bad" Devonte early on. 

That's a fair take.  He was very helpful in the Maryland game and I predicted prior to that game that at some point, he would make a lot of people eat their words.  Surprisingly, for all the good he did in that game, seems like a lot of folks are focused on the 2-3 things he did bad while ignoring that IU is not in a position to win without his earlier contributions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's a fair take.  He was very helpful in the Maryland game and I predicted prior to that game that at some point, he would make a lot of people eat their words.  Surprisingly, for all the good he did in that game, seems like a lot of folks are focused on the 2-3 things he did bad while ignoring that IU is not in a position to win without his earlier contributions.

Yeah, I'd say that kind of effort and production would be great going forward (obvs minus the last couple of minutes), but the problem is, you can't count on that happening on a consistent basis - the 3 games before Sunday, for example. That's why I'm fine with CAM giving him minutes, and then seeing which Devonte we're getting and acting accordingly. The other problem is you have a senior that you can't really count on down the stretch to make smart plays or to even lead by example, as we saw on Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, I'd say that kind of effort and production would be great going forward (obvs minus the last couple of minutes), but the problem is, you can't count on that happening on a consistent basis - the 3 games before Sunday, for example. That's why I'm fine with CAM giving him minutes, and then seeing which Devonte we're getting and acting accordingly. The other problem is you have a senior that you can't really count on down the stretch to make smart plays or to even lead by example, as we saw on Sunday. 

i like the idea that you sub him in fairly early.  you get a good idea of what you're going to get pretty quickly.  if he's lost his mind, don't play him any more.  if he's playing well, play him pretty good minutes, but if we get down to crunch time take him out the last 3-5 minutes.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...