Let's take a shot at Rutgers. Pre-game thread.

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Yep,

In his press conference Archie mentioned Rob being “uncomfortable” at the end and having an issue with his hip. Hopefully he was just sore for a day or two. (others posted photos of him getting kicked in the gonads...Maybe “hip” was Archie’s code/polite word for the injury).

I honestly think it was more than that. I was at the game. It happened right in front of me.. looked to be Groin/Hip area that was in pain. He was really uncomfortable after that. Hope a few days rest is all that’s needed 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dgambill said:

You don't think the ACC would make a HUGE payout to ND to get their football into the conference? I'm thinking they would offer close to 100 million to get them to join. Didn't we pay Nebraska 60 million. It might be less since ACC already has their other sports but ND could make a huge pay day if they wanted...or continue to operate as is until they decide it's in their best interest. As long as ND can continue to remain in the playoff system without needing a conference championship etc they don't need the ACC so much. ACC needs them more...with Clemson having no competition and the threat of not sending any team to the playoffs if Clemson even loses 1 game. ND would bring relevance to the schedule. If ACC gets strong again with say Virginia Tech and Miami making it back to relevance again the story might change. Thing is...the landscape changes so much...Notre Dame could go back to 8-9 win seasons for a decade or Clemson fall off or the playoffs expand everything goes out the window. That uncertainty brings us back to the status quo...and unlikely to see a change on either side. IMO ND could easily keep its out of conference rival USC on it's schedule and the NAVY game. I don't see Stanford as rivalry game and I doubt the fans do either. BC would be a much bigger rivalry game for ND. Schedule doesn't matter it can be made to work...it's the money as with everything!

A lot of good common sense in what you’re conveying. Take your mind off of the money for just a second here. ND has set it up to play Stanford every year because it then gives them California every year, which is norther cal. One year and southern cal. The next. They always move the Navy away games around the country(sometimes international) every other year. Point is, ND wants to be in key recruiting areas  as much a possible while also dealing with scheduling constraints. People overlook how important that is to ND and their alumni, and the very fact that certain higher ups over the years have pointed to what joining the Big Ten would do over time as far as regionalizing them. 
i can’t stand the thought of Rutgers in the Big Ten and see it as a crap addition other than the academic side of the equation, and yes, ND would be a great fit for the Big Ten, but ND is not in the business of looking out for what is best for the Big Ten, they’re looking out for themselves and 20-50 years down the road. ND’s endowment is massive, and many of the coaching positions in various sports are endowed positions now, so ND is not looking to make 54 mil by joining the B10 while giving up their independence in football until it is absolutely necessary.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Butler has a football team but it is not at the D1 level just like Chicago does not have a D1 level football.

Scott. In terms of Butler..... I was going by what another member posted.  Was too lazy to check it out for myself.   And yes, Chicago is not D1.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Scott. In terms of Butler..... I was going by what another member posted.  Was too lazy to check it out for myself.   And yes, Chicago is not D1.

I said the reason that Butler could not join was because of football but should have said they did  have a team but it is not a D1 level.  That is also probably the reason it would be hard for Gonzaga to go to the Pac 10 or Mountain West conference because of football.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I said the reason that Butler could not join was because of football but should have said they did  have a team but it is not a D1 level.  That is also probably the reason it would be hard for Gonzaga to go to the Pac 10 or Mountain West conference because of football.

It's all good. 

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Rutgers is very physical.....but they foul....a lot.

And IU draws a lot of fouls.

IU gets to the line close to 20 times, they win a close one.

If we shoot better than we have at the FT lately.  We need to be shooting in the mid 70's at the FT as a team.  It always kills me to watch Indiana teams that cannot shoot free throws.  I don't know why it bothers me, but something ingrained in my Indiana upbringing says you should hit free throws 

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Yep,

In his press conference Archie mentioned Rob being “uncomfortable” at the end and having an issue with his hip. Hopefully he was just sore for a day or two. (others posted photos of him getting kicked in the gonads...Maybe “hip” was Archie’s code/polite word for the injury).

Oy...

Screenshot_20200113-120314.png

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If we shoot better than we have at the FT lately.  We need to be shooting in the mid 70's at the FT as a team.  It always kills me to watch Indiana teams that cannot shoot free throws.  I don't know why it bothers me, but something ingrained in my Indiana upbringing says you should hit free throws 

As a team IU is 68% on the season, but it is pulled down by four players. Davis is 42%. Should be better, but probably all he'll be. Only 5% of attempts. Brunk is 55%. Like DeRon, he's a veteran big man without great mechanics. Unlikely to improve much. 8% of attempts. But both JS and DG should be better than 63-65%. I think that comes down to focus and concentration. Combine for 25% of attempts.

Only other player below 70% is Franklin at 64%, but I expect him to improve.

Durham was 1-4 and RP was 0-2 against OSU, which were outliers.

Most of the poor shooting is concentrated in the older players. I Expect the team average to improve next year and after.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

For me the big ten is a Midwest conference and I think all the teams should be in the mid west.  Just like the ACC is an Atlantic coast conference and those teams should be from that region.

Rutgers and Miami are both in states that have an Atlantic coast. That's actually farther than State College to Lincoln.

Really hard to win on the road in the BIG this year.  Until we know if Rob is good to go I just have to go with the stats and say we lose a close one:

IU:67

RU:70

Definitely prefer to be wrong on this and see IU win, just so hard to win on the road and we don’t have enough true road games to gauge.  But I just keeping having flashes of Wisconsin in my head unfortunately.

55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i still like carton.  I think he is a freshman but talented

OSU plays the wrong offense for Carton.

He was easily the fastest player out there Saturday but OSU doesn’t push the ball.

Carton can get around anyone, but when he gets to the lane, there are multiple OSU players in there clogging the lane.

OSU is in must win mode. Be interesting to see where they are when we go to Columbus in early February 

This next six game stretch is so difficult and challenging, and only gets more difficult if IU doesn't find a way to at least split these next two road games (@Rut & @Neb). I understand the road is really, really hard to get wins in the Big Ten, but you just have to find a way to split or even win these next two. 

Ultimately, every win counts and beating the top tier teams in the conference is great, but the real separation is going to be in performing well against the teams like Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue etc. You need to beat those teams at home and split the road games against them.  

Rutgers has been really good this year and extremely tough to beat at home, but this is the type of game that 'old Indiana' would win, but current Indiana (the last 4-6 years) seems to always not show up for. I'll be looking more at the effort, intensity and passion as opposed to actual numbers, system, etc. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This next six game stretch is so difficult and challenging, and only gets more difficult if IU doesn't find a way to at least split these next two road games (@Rut & @Neb). I understand the road is really, really hard to get wins in the Big Ten, but you just have to find a way to split or even win these next two. 

Ultimately, every win counts and beating the top tier teams in the conference is great, but the real separation is going to be in performing well against the teams like Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue etc. You need to beat those teams at home and split the road games against them.  

Rutgers has been really good this year and extremely tough to beat at home, but this is the type of game that 'old Indiana' would win, but current Indiana (the last 4-6 years) seems to always not show up for. I'll be looking more at the effort, intensity and passion as opposed to actual numbers, system, etc. 

I tend to think we'll lose at Rutgers and will win it at Neb. Rutgers is extremely good this season at home and, well, 11-0 at home. Like you I'll be hoping to see the kind of intensity and attacking play we saw against OSU -- but it also depends on a healthy Rob. So much depends on a healthy Rob, lol.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I tend to think we'll lose at Rutgers and will win it at Neb. Rutgers is extremely good this season at home and, well, 11-0 at home. Like you I'll be hoping to see the kind of intensity and attacking play we saw against OSU -- but it also depends on a healthy Rob. So much depends on a healthy Rob, lol.

I like our shot to win both with a healthy Rob without him will probably lose both. He is thst important 

Archived