Let's take a shot at Rutgers. Pre-game thread.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

even if they didn't they could join for basketball i think.  ND basketball is in one conference and their football in another.

Not sure

When BIG started adding teams I seemed to remember hearing if a school has no FB program, or like ND FB remaining independent,  they would not get an invite.

Home team in the B1G has over an 86% record of winning so far this season.  Far and away the largest home winning margin of any D1 conference in the country. I think, but don't hold me to it, that the PAC 12 is second at just over 60%.

Winning on the road in the B1G this season, can be done.  But it is hard.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Home team in the B1G has over an 86% record of winning so far this season.  Far and away the largest home winning margin of any D1 conference in the country. I think, but don't hold me to it, that the PAC 12 is second at just over 60%.

Winning on the road in the B1G this season, can be done.  But it is hard.

B1G refs know one thing and one thing only...home cooking.   How most of them still have jobs is beyond comprehension.

I’m very skeptical about the outcome of this game. Rutgers is good! I would be ecstatic if we won at their place. I loved how we played Sat, but this isn’t at home and I haven’t seen us play two consecutive games like Sat yet. I think you guys predicting an IU win are crazy, but I hope you’re right. 

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m very skeptical about the outcome of this game. Rutgers is good! I would be ecstatic if we won at their place. I loved how we played Sat, but this isn’t at home and I haven’t seen us play two consecutive games like Sat yet. I think you guys predicting an IU win are crazy, but I hope you’re right. 

Yeah no one should be predicting a win.  But we certainly should keep it close.  If it’s another Wisconsin or MD the mob will be out and rightfully so.  I just want us to play hard.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten will never expand into an existing TV market.  Butler would never get an invite.  Notre Dame is a national brand, so that is different.  If there is future expansion, Georgia Tech would be high on the list because it brings in Atlanta.

You do bring up a valid point.  Main reason we are stuck with Maryland and Rutgers.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten will never expand into an existing TV market.  Butler would never get an invite.  Notre Dame is a national brand, so that is different.  If there is future expansion, Georgia Tech would be high on the list because it brings in Atlanta.

So why swing for the double?  Why not Georgia?  Doesn't btn make more money than sec?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/02/01/sec-passed-big-ten-per-school-distribution-after-record-revenue/2743885002/

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah no one should be predicting a win.  But we certainly should keep it close.  If it’s another Wisconsin or MD the mob will be out and rightfully so.  I just want us to play hard.

Wisconsin giving the history & Maryland giving the ranking are understood somewhat but RUTGERS??  I don’t care who they got or what they done if IU loses to RUTGERS everything we believe in IU is IRRELEVANT!!!  I may change my mind if they make the elite 8 or final 4 but as a BORN HOOSIER, we can’t lose to Rutgers no matter what 

i know i am much more against Hunter and Anderson's role than most on here, but here's my main thing...not everyone has to be a 3 point shooter.  if they play good D and take it to the basket, that would be great.  right now they are a combined 12-55 from 3.  just under 22%.  for that matter Smith is shooting 25% and Franklin 19%.  i feel like the last 2 give us a lot more in other ways than Hunter and Anderson, but geez.  

36 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Feeling pretty good about this one. Every marathon started with a single step. Hopefully we just took that step. 

IU 68

RU 63

Like this post...I have stopped posting predicted scores for this reason (and if you don't care, stop reading now)...

I will never pick against IU. We all like to be right. And of I did pick against the Hoosiers, there would be 1/1,000,000th of me that would want to be right rather than faithful...

And we can't have that on my world...

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know i am much more against Hunter and Anderson's role than most on here, but here's my main thing...not everyone has to be a 3 point shooter.  if they play good D and take it to the basket, that would be great.  right now they are a combined 12-55 from 3.  just under 22%.  for that matter Smith is shooting 25% and Franklin 19%.  i feel like the last 2 give us a lot more in other ways than Hunter and Anderson, but geez.  

Hunter just had a strong game against OSU, defensively, and he got inside a couple times. Both have shown the ability to contribute well. We talk about depth, and haven't really had it. Having it makes a difference. Both likely will continue to get better throughout the season. He also went 5-6 from the stripe. Smith shot 2-11, and only took 4 free throws, hitting two, in that game.

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Smith shot 2-11, and only took 4 free throws, hitting two, in that game.

Justin took mostly good shots though...he just missed 5 or 6 in close...little jump hooks and such...

I can live with those shots...just wish he'd make them though

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Justin took mostly good shots though...he just missed 5 or 6 in close...little jump hooks and such...

I can live with those shots...just wish he'd make them though

I wasn't criticizing Justin, I was pointing out how having Hunter come in and contribute, and including spelling Justin, helped while Justin was having an off game offensively. Good or bad shots, he hit only 2 of 11 and wasn't contributing at the free throw line.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn't criticizing Justin, I was pointing out how having Hunter come in and contribute, and including spelling Justin, helped while Justin was having an off game offensively. Good or bad shots, he hit only 2 of 11 and wasn't contributing at the free throw line.

No, I knew you weren't...just injecting some commentary on the game he had Saturday...

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

honestly if we would stop expecting Hunter to be what Romeo said he was and just let him develop slowly like we do most incoming freshman, there wouldn't be so much pressure on him to perform.  Romeo saying what he did set that kid up as a let down for the rest of his career.  Everyone is looking for the one and done talent and it might take 4 years to get to what everyone expects.  He still has alot of growing and building to do and i like his upside more than Anderson but if he only get a few minutes here and there, i am perfectly fine with that.  Next year is where the climb starts

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

honestly if we would stop expecting Hunter to be what Romeo said he was and just let him develop slowly like we do most incoming freshman, there wouldn't be so much pressure on him to perform.  Romeo saying what he did set that kid up as a let down for the rest of his career.  Everyone is looking for the one and done talent and it might take 4 years to get to what everyone expects.  He still has alot of growing and building to do and i like his upside more than Anderson but if he only get a few minutes here and there, i am perfectly fine with that.  Next year is where the climb starts

Yes this is fair -- I'd add a couple points though --

Both Romeo and Morgan were effusive about how good Hunter is. Hunter then missed an entire season of basketball -- not just playing/scrimmaging, but practicing as well. He is both a 'true frosh' and a guy coming back after not being able to play for a year, and he's doing that at the highest level of DI ball.

Definitely takes time. On top of that, CAM's comments in his presser were revealing -- he said as a true frosh Jerome is on a "short leash" on minutes, and explained that if he makes a mistake defensively he will get pulled. That's CAM's philosophy for frosh, not just Jerome -- so his ability to get in and get into a flow offensively depends on his playing D to the level that CAM wants. And that takes time too.

Archived