Let's take a shot at Rutgers. Pre-game thread.

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Penn State was a reach. But accepted. Just out side of the Midwest footprint.  I will give them that. As I will accept Nebraska. But there are other schools, well within the Midwest footprint, that as far as I am concerned deserve an B1G admission over Rutgers.

I know I am old school but I would have preferred to stick with the 10 team league.  I know it is not economically feasible in today's sports world but a conference should be schools in the same region.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rutgers is very solid defensively in the half court. ILL beat them at home 54-51 despite shooting 28% overall and 14% from 3. Won at FT line 16 to 3.

Pikiell's teams are always physical and play hard. Have held last seven opponents to 65 or below. Held Seton Hall, who currently leads the BE, to 48.

Can't let them score in the 70s as they did in wins against Wisky, Neb & Penn St. For IU to win, it will likely have to be a Uconn type game. Ugly and in the 50s or 60s.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

ND gets $7.9 mill from the  ACC. Long standing  B1G schools get $54 mill from the Big Ten.  You are correct. But,  ND  eventually would stand to get more if they were in the Big Ten.

ACC revenue reaches $465 million but distributions lag behind other power conferences - CollegeFootballTalk | NBC Sports

You don't think the ACC would make a HUGE payout to ND to get their football into the conference? I'm thinking they would offer close to 100 million to get them to join. Didn't we pay Nebraska 60 million. It might be less since ACC already has their other sports but ND could make a huge pay day if they wanted...or continue to operate as is until they decide it's in their best interest. As long as ND can continue to remain in the playoff system without needing a conference championship etc they don't need the ACC so much. ACC needs them more...with Clemson having no competition and the threat of not sending any team to the playoffs if Clemson even loses 1 game. ND would bring relevance to the schedule. If ACC gets strong again with say Virginia Tech and Miami making it back to relevance again the story might change. Thing is...the landscape changes so much...Notre Dame could go back to 8-9 win seasons for a decade or Clemson fall off or the playoffs expand everything goes out the window. That uncertainty brings us back to the status quo...and unlikely to see a change on either side. IMO ND could easily keep its out of conference rival USC on it's schedule and the NAVY game. I don't see Stanford as rivalry game and I doubt the fans do either. BC would be a much bigger rivalry game for ND. Schedule doesn't matter it can be made to work...it's the money as with everything!

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It was reported earlier in the year that Rob had a "lower abdominal" injury. There was some conjecture that it was a "sports hernia."

"A sports hernia is a strain or tear of any soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) in the lower abdomen or groin area."

May still be an issue. If they go the surgical route, it's a 6-12 week recovery period...

I don't know -- but doesn't look to be the same area, hip or lower back. We'll see soon.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well Butler does not have D1 football so they couldn't join.

Yes and Butler does nothing to garner MARKET/TV revenue which would be all the B1G cares about. We have plenty of good teams in the B1G...it isn't about the quality of opponent as much as expanding the foot print of the B1G and bringing in TV dollars. I don't see us expanding West as that part of the country would only marginally create tv revenue. It definitely would be East coast imo if we were to see a change and definitely a school that plays football as well like you said.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Want to talk about parity and doing nothing but beating each other up? At the moment, Pomeroy's projections have 10 out of 14 B10 teams finishing between 11-9 and 9-11. The exceptions, MSU at 14-6, Maryland at 12-8, Nebraska and Northwestern at 5-15.

That's just a projection, but I'd say it falls in line with what we've seen so far this year.

Now, out of that big muddled mess, how many of those 10 teams would have 20 wins overall? Two. And here's a hint, they played each other Saturday and Gus Johnson called the game.

That would be a total of 4 B10 teams with 20 wins: MSU, Maryland, OSU and Indiana. That doesn't include the BTT, so likely another team will hit 20 but still, based on our season to date, we're not in terrible shape.

Good stuff.

We have a hell of a remaining schedule, major gauntlet, pretty much every game will be a battle and all will matter. 

Rob's health is going to be the key. 

Biggest change against OSU -- Rob started, and then played major minutes, and of course had a heck of a game. First time all season, and look at the difference it made for the whole team.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know -- but doesn't look to be the same area, hip or lower back. We'll see soon.

I hope it was just a tweak but sometimes when you have abdominal issue it can cause you to double over/ or grab an area to relieve it that isn't necessarily the spot that's hurt. He is so important....I mean let's be real PG is so important...it's why we are all clammering for Lander or a high caliber one. We can ill afford to lose Rob. Next to Trayce he is probably the most important player to our team.

Just now, dgambill said:

I hope it was just a tweak but sometimes when you have abdominal issue it can cause you to double over/ or grab an area to relieve it that isn't necessarily the spot that's hurt. He is so important....I mean let's be real PG is so important...it's why we are all clammering for Lander or a high caliber one. We can ill afford to lose Rob. Next to Trayce he is probably the most important player to our team.

I know Paul George is so important, but that's irrelevant here.

😁

11 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Got hurt at the end of the Ohio Stare game. No one knows what the injury is or the severity of it 

Yep,

In his press conference Archie mentioned Rob being “uncomfortable” at the end and having an issue with his hip. Hopefully he was just sore for a day or two. (others posted photos of him getting kicked in the gonads...Maybe “hip” was Archie’s code/polite word for the injury).

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yep,

In his press conference Archie mentioned Rob being “uncomfortable” at the end and having an issue with his hip. Hopefully he was just sore for a day or two. (others posted photos of him getting kicked in the gonads...Maybe “hip” was Archie’s code/polite word for the injury).

I'm just glad he specifically said hip. Could have been a hip pointer....a knee to the hip on a screen can really be sore but usually only lasts a couple days.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am old school but I would have preferred to stick with the 10 team league.  I know it is not economically feasible in today's sports world but a conference should be schools in the same region.

I bet you are so old school that you remember when the Big 10 only had 9 teams?  

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is not economically feasible in today's sports world but a conference should be schools in the same region.

Define "region".  I can hop on a plane in Philadelphia at 8AM and be in Omaha before 1PM.  Yes, I know that's not State College and Lincoln, but my point is that the concepts of "regions" are greatly expanded since the days when such travel was more limited.

I think we can pull off a win Wed and, as has become customary, predict it will be an ugly win. Ugly Ws count just as much as the Ws vs Fl St and Oh St.

As for the conference realignment stuff, I think we will add 2 more in a few years. I'd love to get VA (close to MD) and GT (Atlanta market).  IU then gets pushed into the West division!

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Define "region".  I can hop on a plane in Philadelphia at 8AM and be in Omaha before 1PM.  Yes, I know that's not State College and Lincoln, but my point is that the concepts of "regions" are greatly expanded since the days when such travel was more limited.

For me the big ten is a Midwest conference and I think all the teams should be in the mid west.  Just like the ACC is an Atlantic coast conference and those teams should be from that region.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

nope and I don't remember the University of Chicago being in the big ten either

Chicago won 7 conference championships before pulling out of the B1G.  Their all time FB record against IU stands at 20-4-1.

It was several years ago that I floated the idea of Chicago rejoining the B1G.  Unlike Butler, Chicago does have a FB team and program. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Chicago won 7 conference championships before pulling out of the B1G.  Their all time FB record against IU stands at 20-4-1.

It was several years ago that I floated the idea of Chicago rejoining the B1G.  Unlike Butler, Chicago does have a FB team and program. 

Butler has a football team but it is not at the D1 level just like Chicago does not have a D1 level football.

Archived