Notre Dame and the B1G

rico

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They don’t want to play a real schedule IMO.  The SEC teams will play 3-4 elite teams almost every year.  B1G schedules are close to that. ND maybe plays 1 plus a bunch of mediocre teams.  

When they schedule I think they had a good schedule in mind. USC, georgia, Michigan, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Stanford, Navy...that ain’t a bad schedule on paper honestly. Next year they have USC, Wisconsin, Clemson, Louisville, Stanford, Arkansas, Pitt...those aren’t cupcakes. It’s just where they play them that bothers me more.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

If it's about expanding territory, go big or go home.

Texas

Notre Dame lite. Technically in the B12, but control a lot of their own media contracts. Plus in the B12, they're clearly the big swinging....unit. Put them up against OSU or Michigan and that isn't as clear anymore.

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really think Missouri and Iowa State would fit in the B1G and hell of a lot better than Rutgers and Maryland.  We already have Nebraska and Iowa

And I would kick Penn State out and keep Maryland.

The Ames, Iowa or the NYC television market.  I think I understand the B1G's decision.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really think Missouri and Iowa State would fit in the B1G and hell of a lot better than Rutgers and Maryland.  We already have Nebraska and Iowa

And I would kick Penn State out and keep Maryland.

Not happening, see above post about Benjamin$$$

Iowa st brings nothing that Iowa isn't already.  Dropping a top 10 football program?  So confused.  Sure,  I still think they deserve death penalty after showergate but 

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not happening, see above post about Benjamin$$$

Iowa st brings nothing that Iowa isn't already.  Dropping a top 10 football program?  So confused.  Sure,  I still think they deserve death penalty after showergate but 

I guess I was thinking geographically and not about the $$$.  

Everybody forgets that Notre Dame at one point agreed to join the Big 10.  With Notre Dame in hand, the conference then went out and brought in Penn State at the same time in order to provide an even number and balance out the schedule.  Everybody thought everything was a done deal until the last second when the trustees at Notre Dame refused to go along with the deal and thus left the Big Ten with that odd 11 team configuration that we had for quite some time.  Story at the time was that, as a result the Big 10 told Notre Dame don't ever come calling again.

5 hours ago, BottomLine said:

Everybody forgets that Notre Dame at one point agreed to join the Big 10.  With Notre Dame in hand, the conference then went out and brought in Penn State at the same time in order to provide an even number and balance out the schedule.  Everybody thought everything was a done deal until the last second when the trustees at Notre Dame refused to go along with the deal and thus left the Big Ten with that odd 11 team configuration that we had for quite some time.  Story at the time was that, as a result the Big 10 told Notre Dame don't ever come calling again.

Hmmmmm......

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/standings.php?conf=10

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

When they schedule I think they had a good schedule in mind. USC, georgia, Michigan, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Stanford, Navy...that ain’t a bad schedule on paper honestly. Next year they have USC, Wisconsin, Clemson, Louisville, Stanford, Arkansas, Pitt...those aren’t cupcakes. It’s just where they play them that bothers me more.

LSU played 5 top 15 teams in the regular season this season.  I believe ND played 1 in Georgia.  They seem to play a whole lot of solid teams in that 20-50 range but almost never the elite teams.  That’s why they occasionally sneak into the final 4.  It’s not because they are that good.

There is not going to be any replacing of schools in the near future.  Expansion is where it is at.  The B1G is pretty picky about a member school being a member of the AAU(Association of American Universities).  So that would probably be a must for anybody incoming.  Add to that, like it or not, the TV market will come into play.  @5fouls was speaking the truth when saying Georgia Tech and the Atlanta market.  They fit both criteria.  

11 hours ago, IUaic said:

Get Texas and UCLA or USC and call it a day!

And change the name from the B1G to the Coast to Coast and Gulf Conference.  I remember when Bobby Knight opposed the addition of Penn State, due to travel time. He was concerned about the time taken away from classes for his student/athletes.  Can you imagine IU playing a game in Maryland, and then having to travel a couple of days later to California ?

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

LSU played 5 top 15 teams in the regular season this season.  I believe ND played 1 in Georgia.  They seem to play a whole lot of solid teams in that 20-50 range but almost never the elite teams.  That’s why they occasionally sneak into the final 4.  It’s not because they are that good.

It worked out that way this year....when you schedule 5-10 years out...who knows...you just schedule the best programs you can...especially if you aren’t in a conference. I mean they played a better schedule than Clemson correct?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

It worked out that way this year....when you schedule 5-10 years out...who knows...you just schedule the best programs you can...especially if you aren’t in a conference. I mean they played a better schedule than Clemson correct?

By all metrics used, yes they played a tougher schedule than Alabama and Clemson this year. They also were better than Alabama, Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan versus top 30 teams this year, and had an identical record to penn state against top 30. 

Archived