Notre Dame and the B1G

rico

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And change the name from the B1G to the Coast to Coast and Gulf Conference.  I remember when Bobby Knight opposed the addition of Penn State, due to travel time. He was concerned about the time taken away from classes for his student/athletes.  Can you imagine IU playing a game in Maryland, and then having to travel a couple of days later to California ?

Think outside the box. It is adding 2 enormous TV markets. Maryland or Rutgers to California is what, a 4 hour plane ride?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Think outside the box. It is adding 2 enormous TV markets. Maryland or Rutgers to California is what, a 4 hour plane ride?

flight time maryland to california five hours 11 minutes

That's not the hard one.  Going from West to East is the one that taxes more energy out of the body.  At least that has always been the case for me.

Oh. Don't get me wrong.  I like the idea, of a coast to coast conference, seeing as how we no longer have a truly Midwest footprint.  If we're going to keep those teams on the East Coast, why not expand to the Pacific, and the Gulf Coast as well.  Wouldn't it be something if Kelvin Sampson wound back up in our conference ? 

48 minutes ago, IUaic said:

The thing is there are more than just two sports effected by this.  Most schools have 20+ sports to worry about and have travel plans for each one of them. 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is there are more than just two sports effected by this.  Most schools have 20+ sports to worry about and have travel plans for each one of them. 

Each team is getting $51 Mil from the TV contract. I would estimate that number going up at the very least another $15 Mil by adding those 2 markets. That is more than enough to cover the additional travel / planning expenses of all of the athletic teams.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, rico said:

And after Ga.Tech?  Need a 16th team.

In the thread that led to this one, I mentioned G Tech and Virginia. GT for the Atlanta (9th largest) market/ in roads to the SE. There was a lot of discussion about them prior to the last round of expansion. VA is not to far from MD and cements the Wash DC market (#6 market- Baltimore #21). 4.5 hrs to PSU. More East coast pull. 

I'd prefer 2 eastern teams so IU can move into the West division vs 2 west teams. Plus, while MO or KS would be solid, there just isn't the $ that can be derived elsewhere (Kansas City is #31). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

In the thread that led to this one, I mentioned G Tech and Virginia. GT for the Atlanta (9th largest) market/ in roads to the SE. There was a lot of discussion about them prior to the last round of expansion. VA is not to far from MD and cements the Wash DC market (#6 market- Baltimore #21). 4.5 hrs to PSU. More East coast pull. 

I'd prefer 2 eastern teams so IU can move into the West division vs 2 west teams. Plus, while MO or KS would be solid, there just isn't the $ that can be derived elsewhere (Kansas City is #31). 

I would love to have the Jackets and Cavs in the B1G...

The thing I've always felt with Virginia is that they're a somewhat entrenched ACC name....but I guess you could have said the same for Maryland.  Actually, for realistic possibilities, they'd work well.  They'd at least give another regional rival to PSU/Maryland/The Fightin' Snookis Rutgers.

One that doesn't get mentioned, probably because again, it's not a huge TV market, is Vanderbilt.  I always thought they'd be a good balance/rival for NW. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Does Maryland not bring in the dc market already?  They even played the B1G tourney out there in 2017

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does Maryland not bring in the dc market already?  They even played the B1G tourney out there in 2017

Partially, but UVa has a huge presence in terms of alumni inside the beltway.  You'd pick up a lot more active interest vs passing interest.

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The thing I've always felt with Virginia is that they're a somewhat entrenched ACC name....but I guess you could have said the same for Maryland.  Actually, for realistic possibilities, they'd work well.  They'd at least give another regional rival to PSU/Maryland/The Fightin' Snookis Rutgers.

One that doesn't get mentioned, probably because again, it's not a huge TV market, is Vanderbilt.  I always thought they'd be a good balance/rival for NW. 

I guess I would ask...Why did Maryland leave the ACC?  Was it about money?  Was it about academics?  Was it about the conference getting flooded from non-traditional ACC schools?  

37 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I like the idea of Vanderbilt as well.

According to the list from Wikipedia, Baltimore is a separate market from Wash DC/ VA. Not sure if the Big10 Netork is already in VA, adding VA would help boost its demand. 

18 minutes ago, rico said:

.Why did Maryland leave the ACC?  Was it about money?  Was it about academics?  Was it about the conference getting flooded from non-traditional ACC schools?  

MD joined the same time as Rutgers. I think geography/ markets were the key reason the Big 10 chose them. Not sure from the MD perspective but Zline probably right they went for the $. I wonder what % of MD fans are happy with move?

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

I like the idea of Vanderbilt as well.

According to the list from Wikipedia, Baltimore is a separate market from Wash DC/ VA. Not sure if the Big10 Netork is already in VA, adding VA would help boost its demand. 

Officially, yes, it's a separate market.

Unofficially, it's a blurry line. There's a ton of people that commute from Baltimore to Washington. It's only about a 30 minute express train ride away. And actually the only time I've been to Washington, I flew into Baltimore.

Regarding the ACC.  Early in the football season I was watching a pre-game show out of South Bend.  One announcer was talking about the rich tradition of the ACC.  The other announcer laughed and said it is hard to have a lot of tradition if only 7 original members remain and it is a 15 team conference.

Don't forget North Carolina was mentioned during the last realignment discussions and would add a growing market in Charlotte and The Triangle.  Those will both be major cities as time moves forward.  Some people even say eventually Charlotte and Atlanta will be one large megalopolis.

Additionally, don't underestimate how research $$$ plays into this.  This may not be a factor in other conferences, but it is for the B1G and it's collection of research institutions.   There is a reason why we have welcomed the likes of Johns Hopkins in Lacrosse, Notre Dame in Hockey, and still have academic ties to University of Chicago (an original B1G member). 

https://www.btaa.org/ 

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/10/1511330/big-ten-expansion-and-the-cic-are

11 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Don't forget North Carolina was mentioned during the last realignment discussions and would add a growing market in Charlotte and The Triangle.  Those will both be major cities as time moves forward.  Some people even say eventually Charlotte and Atlanta will be one large megalopolis.

Charlotte would be a great market...but do you think the B1G wants anything to do with UNC?  Or if the Tar Heels came calling that the B1G would overlook their transgressions?  I mean after all we do have Penn St. and Sparty...

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Charlotte would be a great market...but do you think the B1G wants anything to do with UNC?  Or if the Tar Heels came calling that the B1G would overlook their transgressions?  I mean after all we do have Penn St. and Sparty...

Not saying that is the play in the current state or even possible, but it was tossed around seriously at the time.  I think it was taken seriously because Delany was a UNC alum.  Also, in confirming Delany's ties to UNC on his wiki, I found it interesting to know that 25% of all US households. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Delany

2 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Not saying that is the play in the current state or even possible, but it was tossed around seriously at the time.  I think it was taken seriously because Delany was a UNC alum.

Oh, I know it was talked about seriously.  

43 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Not saying that is the play in the current state or even possible, but it was tossed around seriously at the time.  I think it was taken seriously because Delany was a UNC alum.  Also, in confirming Delany's ties to UNC on his wiki, I found it interesting to know that 25% of all US households. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Delany

What about 25% of all us households?

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here's a totally whacked out idea......University of Toronto.  They are an AAU member, you can't find a bigger media market available, and yes, they even compete in all major varsity sports, including (American) football. 

They don't use that funky 110 yard field?

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here's a totally whacked out idea......University of Toronto.  They are an AAU member, you can't find a bigger media market available, and yes, they even compete in all major varsity sports, including (American) football. 

Now that is some true thinking outside the box...I likey!

Archived