Don Fischer named Indiana Sports Caster of the Year

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve never known IU sports without him. That will be a strange day to hear another voice after he retires. 

Yep. Hope he gives years to come but you know the day will come when he's going to probably walk. He's as much of IU history as anyone. 

20 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve never known IU sports without him. That will be a strange day to hear another voice after he retires. 

Not just strange, but terribly sad as well. Based on his comments about "not being any money in doing radio" I hope his retirement doesn't come until the day the good Lord calls him.

What we should be demanding is a replacement for Suhr on the mic. Capt Obvious just really turns my crank. It's almost a toss up of who is worse, Suhr, or Dakich? Neither are good choices IMO.

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Before Don.  There was Chuck Marlowe.  I grew up with him.

Chuck Marlowe, retired IU basketball announcer, dies

The early years of my IU fandom included Chuck Marlowe on tv and doing the RMK show. I think he was still making short appearances on the IMS radio network during the 500 when I started attending as well. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Most definitely.  I also feel that way about Chuck Crabb.  Just won’t be the same to hear a different voice in Assembly Hall announce “personal foul, number __” without that perpetual head cold it always sounds like he has, lol.  Icons.

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The early years of my IU fandom included Chuck Marlowe on tv and doing the RMK show. I think he was still making short appearances on the IMS radio network during the 500 when I started attending as well. 

Chuck Marlowe did a ton of things back in the day. The Indy 500.  And he was a fixture on Chicago tv.... doing wrestling, with the likes of "Dick the Bruiser", and his cousin " The Crusher"

WWA Championship Wrestling (May 17, 1969)

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not just strange, but terribly sad as well. Based on his comments about "not being any money in doing radio" I hope his retirement doesn't come until the day the good Lord calls him.

What we should be demanding is a replacement for Suhr on the mic. Capt Obvious just really turns my crank. It's almost a toss up of who is worse, Suhr, or Dakich? Neither are good choices IMO.

I don't have any complaints about Suhr.  What am I missing?

15 hours ago, DWB said:

Suhr isn't an arrogant self-promoting chrome-domed twit.  He wins by default.

Archived