Set Your 5 Game Stretch Lineup

We have two more games until a brutal 5 game strecth against Duke, Louisville, ND, Iowa, and Michigan. If that started today, who's your string five and who's coming off the bench first? I think in these two games Archie should play Clifton Moore a decent amount to see what he is capable of because I just don't trust McSwain. Here's mine (let's assume we don't have Hartman)

1. Al Durham

2. Robert Johnson

3. Devonte Green

4. Juwan Morgan

5. De'Ron Davis

First off the bench- Justin Smith

Second off the bench - Josh Newkirk

Curtis Jones and McSwain mixed in but not playing hugely significant minutes

13 minutes ago, CampHoosier said:

We have two more games until a brutal 5 game strecth against Duke, Louisville, ND, Iowa, and Michigan. If that started today, who's your string five and who's coming off the bench first? I think in these two games Archie should play Clifton Moore a decent amount to see what he is capable of because I just don't trust McSwain. Here's mine (let's assume we don't have Hartman)

1. Al Durham

2. Robert Johnson

3. Devonte Green

4. Juwan Morgan

5. De'Ron Davis

First off the bench- Justin Smith

Second off the bench - Josh Newkirk

Curtis Jones and McSwain mixed in but not playing hugely significant minutes

Durham/Newkirk

Johnson/Green

Hartman(hopefully)

Morgan/Smith

Davis

These 8 would get the majority of the minutes

2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Al, Green, ROJO, Smith, Davis

I think Morgan is such a plug and play guy that he could fill any need and make our bench MUCH more versitile. End of the game Morgan is for sure on the floor though with a combo of the starting 5. 

I'm not opposed to this 

25 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Al, Green, ROJO, Smith, Davis

I think Morgan is such a plug and play guy that he could fill any need and make our bench MUCH more versitile. End of the game Morgan is for sure on the floor though with a combo of the starting 5. 

Against better teams, I think you need one of Davis / Morgan on the floor at all times. I think we will see Morgan start and slide over to the 5 when Davis goes out. If he cannot maintain his production when Collin is back, he'd be a candidate for the bench (along with Green). I see Green and Morgan battling for one spot when Collin is healthy enough to start. Maybe it will vary depending on matchups and/or who does better in practice.

19 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd stick with (until Collin is back, then away from the 3-guard lineup)

Davis - Moore / McSwain

Morgan - Smith, get him time

Green - Durham first off the bench, getting heavy minutes

Rob - McRoberts

Newkirk - CuJo (CuJo will come along, get him floor time)

I agree on CuJO. Would love to see him play more and get more comfortable. 

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

CuJo didn’t do anything in the 17 minutes he got last night.  Not really sure what he does well.

I really do think he is a good outside shooter, he just needs to get a couple to fall and then build off of that.  Once he gets some confidence I think he will be closer to what we saw against Kansas. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd stick with (until Collin is back, then away from the 3-guard lineup)

Davis - Moore / McSwain

Morgan - Smith, get him time

Green - Durham first off the bench, getting heavy minutes

Rob - McRoberts

Newkirk - CuJo (CuJo will come along, get him floor time)

Gotta question having Green over Durham.  Al has a 5:1 assist to turnover percentage, and is shooting 52.2% from the floor versus DeVonte's 37.9%.

Player Efficiency ratings through 4 games.

Davis - 26.8

Morgan - 19.3

Durham - 17.2

Smith - 15.9

McSwain - 14.4

Johnson - 14.3

Jones - 12.2

Newkirk - 9.9

Green - 7.3

Moore - 6.4

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Gotta question having Green over Durham.  Al has a 5:1 assist to turnover percentage, and is shooting 52.2% from the floor versus DeVonte's 37.9%.

Davis - 26.8

Morgan - 19.3

Durham - 17.2

Smith - 15.9

McSwain - 14.4

Johnson - 14.3

Jones - 12.2

Newkirk - 9.9

Green - 7.3

Moore - 6.4

I think Durham's doing great. (Understatement.) Green has been playing somewhat out of control, but I wouldn't pull him from the starting lineup, at this point. I think he also is getting accustomed to the new system and redefining his role. He's the experienced returning soph who has shown great play at times. You don't just forget that because of early struggles. Hell, many on here wanted Green in place of Rob. It's early.

Would add that as much as Iike Durham, I expect a falloff game. If he doesn't fall flat in a game or two soon as the competition increases that would be something special. He's a frosh. The frosh wall is coming.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

KU game? There were others. Judging on 17 minutes isn't warranted. He fell off as a frosh, but he's a talented player. 

Yeah, I’m gonna say it seems pretty clear the KU game was the outlier here, not last night’s game.  He’s scored double digit points twice since then, with 11 against Houston Baptist last season and 11 against Indiana State this season.  And he’s hit more than one three in only 5 games since the KU game, never hitting more than 2 in a game.  

So he’s pretty much had 0 impact since the KU game.  But luckily for us, now that I’ve said this, he should go nuts next game.  Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Davis - 26.8

Morgan - 19.3

Durham - 17.2

Smith - 15.9

McSwain - 14.4

Johnson - 14.3

Jones - 12.2

Newkirk - 9.9

Green - 7.3

Moore - 6.4

Those numbers tell a lot.

I'd like to see those first 4 + Hartman play together for a stretch.

2 minutes ago, BTown24 said:

Durham

Rojo

Smith

Morgan

Davis

Bench: Hartman (if healthy), Green, McRoberts (why the hell isn't he playing?), McSwain, Cujo; in that order.

I don't know why McRoberts isn't playing, had the same question. Can only assume he's not showing what he needs to show in practice. But he can certainly add to the team, imo.

I really think Cujo will contribute.  You do not score the way he did in high school and AAU and not have talent.  Watching some of his tapes from AAU and he was a dead eye knock down shooter.  That is not something you lose unless someone decided to change his shooting form, or something is going on upstairs in the confidence department.

22 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I really think Cujo will contribute.  You do not score the way he did in high school and AAU and not have talent.  Watching some of his tapes from AAU and he was a dead eye knock down shooter.  That is not something you lose unless someone decided to change his shooting form, or something is going on upstairs in the confidence department.

Agree, and I think it's just confidence and timing, fwiw. Kid can score. He's a young soph. Really don't get why some just give up on young players or say there's nothing there to believe in them. He's developing, but he absolutely has the talent.

I can't think of a kid that I'd be happy to see crowded off next year's team.  The senior class isn't contributing what it should and some of the underclassmen have not really shown their potential, but I don't wish for anyone to transfer, even though I understand it's kind of inevitable.  I hope every one of them earns their scholarship next year.

I don't know what has happened to Newkirk but he's graduating anyway. Maybe he catches fire and plays better like he did toward the end of last year.  Thus far this year, he's shown almost no touch from the outside and has made some decisions that I wouldn't expect from a 5th year senior, but I'm hoping he gets it back together and goes out on a high note.

...as for Priller...hats off to him for getting a free IU education.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I can't think of a kid that I'd be happy to see crowded off next year's team. 

The thing about Archie's team is that he plays a tighter rotation than Crean, so players 11 & 12 probably aren't going to get any more time than #13.  And, #10 with Archie is probably like being #12 for Crean.  

Archived