Davis Draft Stock

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, I saw him take one against OSU, I think.  First time I had seen him take one...and it looked pretty flat.  But I'm sure he has the ability to add one that's acceptable.  And I definitely agree that we need him back.

Even that one was still in the paint and pretty close to the rim, I don’t think he’s taken a shot outside the paint all season. 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am really liking watching TJD play.  Really reminds me of Henderson.  Really fun to watch.  He will most likely have another year at IU and if so good for him and IU. He will get his time the pros. 

I love TJD myself but he doesn't remind me of Al at all.  Henderson was great from 10-15 ft away with the jumper.  

As far as the NBA, TJD needs to develop a mid-range game.

If TJD doesn't care for the whole "college experience" (those pesky classes) then I think he might go. There are other places to develop your game.

I think the one Ace in the hole we might have is Brunk. I know it's a stretch, but he and Joey seem to really like each other and have good on the court chemistry. Joey only has 1 year left after this, so...

Another year in school would enable him to better hone his handles, his exit passes from the post (they aren’t bad, by any means, they just aren’t productive; they are nervous and rushed), as many have opined: develop a jumper, and, finally, put on a bit more bulk.

I mean, all that said, I am still a realistic guy, if he projects even close to lottery, he might be gone. He could go on a rampage the rest of the season and it could become a possibility. I doubt it, but it could.

TJD will not be a lottery pick this year, not even close. People keep talking about the NBA drafting for potential, and certainly they do, but TJD does not have it. In the NBA that means being tall/long for your position and being exceptionally athletic - he is neither of those things. That's why none of the mock draft sites are high on him.

Look at his numbers against the three ranked teams we have played this year: they aren't too impressive. It's not fair to say he struggled in those games, but he did not play like an NBA player in them either.

Being an All-American does not suggest he's a one and done: there are 24 All-Americans, there are not 24 one and dones. 

If he wants to be a UDFA or, at best, a 2nd rounder, then okay, I can understand why some guys might want to go that route. But, most guys in that situation come back. Hopefully he is one that would rather be a college star than a struggling D-League pro. 

Objectively, I do not think it likely that he goes pro, there are no signals there as far as I know. He is really good, but to be NBA - draft ready, he has work to do.

I would expect him to declare under the current rules, talk to teams/get feedback, and come back for his soph year with the goal of developing the things the feedback tells him they want, which will include shooting. Given his level of production as a frosh, his ability to score and rebound inside against elite veteran players, I do think he can be a first rounder and, at least potentially, a lottery pick, after his soph or jr year.

I've been comparing him to Cody as he has had the level of impact. Cody though, after his frosh year, could've been a lottery pick. He chose to come back. TJD is not in that discussion, yet.

3 hours ago, rico said:

I love TJD myself but he doesn't remind me of Al at all.  Henderson was great from 10-15 ft away with the jumper.  

As far as the NBA, TJD needs to develop a mid-range game.

Right now, he's just another 6'9" forward who rebounds well.  He's a nice college player who needs to develop more of an NBA game, IMHO.  It comes down to whether he wants to do more developing at IU or take a chance by leaving.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Right now, he's just another 6'9" forward who rebounds well.  He's a nice college player who needs to develop more of an NBA game, IMHO.  It comes down to whether he wants to do more developing at IU or take a chance by leaving.

That is it pretty much in a nutshell.

Archived