Davis Draft Stock

He is not projected in either round by NBAdraft.net nor is he on their top 100 big board. 

He is going to be going up against some big centers the rest of the season. I think we will learn just how good he is after that. Right now his numbers on the road and against top competition are not great. With that said, we will be lucky to have him for another year.

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am in no way saying he is ready, but tons of guys leave before they are ready.

He isn't mentioned on:

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

...or any other draft site.

He isn't on ESPN's Big Board of 100 top NBA prospects.

And by "tons" I would put that number around 15 maybe 20. And most of those have no room for improvement.

He will be here at least one more year. Probably 2.....

Compare him to Kofi Cockburn at Illinois for drafting on potential. Cockburn would be drafted in front of TJD.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

He isn't mentioned on:

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

...or any other draft site.

He isn't on ESPN's Big Board of 100 top NBA prospects.

And by "tons" I would put that number around 15 maybe 20. And most of those have no room for improvement.

He will be here at least one more year. Probably 2.....

I posted this last night.  He isn't even in the 2021 draft projections that I've seen(which is suprising).   TJD would really have to come up big the rest of the year to even sniff the 1st round in 2020.  Which if he did it probably means IU finished with a really good season so there is that.  :) I am with you though and see him here 3 years.

Go Hoosiers!!!

39 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I posted this last night.  He isn't even in the 2021 draft projections that I've seen(which is suprising).   TJD would really have to come up big the rest of the year to even sniff the 1st round in 2020.  Which if he did it probably means IU finished with a really good season so there is that.  :) I am with you though and see him here 3 years.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I actually saw him on a 2022 draft board. Always interesting to me to see how such an efficient big man in college that can run the court doesn't translate to the NBA - at least not yet. I guess you can never undervalue strength and an effective shot. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I actually saw him on a 2022 draft board. Always interesting to me to see how such an efficient big man in college that can run the court doesn't translate to the NBA - at least not yet. I guess you can never undervalue strength and an effective shot. 

I seen him there as well...a late 1st Rd. pick.  2022.

It all comes down to what he and his family value and what's important to them. The NBA has done a very nice job the last several years of putting the pieces in place for the G League to be a viable option for kids that either don't want to be in college or that don't want to be in college longer than one year. I don't know where TJD's interests lie in terms of that. 

The question will boil down to whether he thinks the lights, cameras and attention of college basketball, especially at a place like IU, are more important to improving his draft stock, than being a professional and being in an NBA system, even if it's the G League and trying to work his way onto a roster that way. 

I think guys probably have a better chance of improving their game in the G League, because you're running an NBA system and an NBA style of play, you're working with coaches from the NBA teams, you're playing better competition and you're not worrying about school, conference, standings, etc. You can just focus on improving your game. But, that road can also be more difficult, the team doesn't have as much invested in you as they do higher draft picks, the luxuries aren't as nice, etc.

I don't think TJD would get drafted this year, but does he think he can go the undrafted route and secure a 2-way contract? To a lot of these guys I would bet a 2-way NBA/G League contract is more valuable to them than playing for free in college and hoping your draft stock improves. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It all comes down to what he and his family value and what's important to them. The NBA has done a very nice job the last several years of putting the pieces in place for the G League to be a viable option for kids that either don't want to be in college or that don't want to be in college longer than one year. I don't know where TJD's interests lie in terms of that. 

The question will boil down to whether he thinks the lights, cameras and attention of college basketball, especially at a place like IU, are more important to improving his draft stock, than being a professional and being in an NBA system, even if it's the G League and trying to work his way onto a roster that way. 

I think guys probably have a better chance of improving their game in the G League, because you're running an NBA system and an NBA style of play, you're working with coaches from the NBA teams, you're playing better competition and you're not worrying about school, conference, standings, etc. You can just focus on improving your game. But, that road can also be more difficult, the team doesn't have as much invested in you as they do higher draft picks, the luxuries aren't as nice, etc.

I don't think TJD would get drafted this year, but does he think he can go the undrafted route and secure a 2-way contract? To a lot of these guys I would bet a 2-way NBA/G League contract is more valuable to them than playing for free in college and hoping your draft stock improves. 

As of right now in time, playing for a major DI program like IU as one of its star players, as a frosh or sophomore, for most players is the better route to getting picked up by an NBA team. The G League can be there later, the undrafted pick up like Yogi etc can be there later, and meanwhile you develop the reputation and exposure that playing for a major DI program gives you. For TJD, to me, at least for next season, returning is easily the better decision vs the G League. 

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Throw in the possibility of one and done being removed for the 2021 draft.....I think he is here for 3.

i think a TON of kids go this year because of the threat of one and done being removed.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This**

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think he makes a G League roster anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As of right now in time, playing for a major DI program like IU as one of its star players, as a frosh or sophomore, for most players is the better route to getting picked up by an NBA team. The G League can be there later, the undrafted pick up like Yogi etc can be there later, and meanwhile you develop the reputation and exposure that playing for a major DI program gives you. For TJD, to me, at least for next season, returning is easily the better decision vs the G League. 

I tend agree, especially for a guy like TJD, but the reality is that the gap in payoff between playing major D1 hoops and potentially getting one of those 2-Way contracts is shortening. Just looking at the Celtics this year, they have 2 2nd round picks and an undrafted guy that have spent time in the G League and also have gotten minutes on the NBA Club. The world is changing, again especially if you're able to earn one of the teams 2-Way Contracts. 

Same with Juwan Morgan. I realize he was a senior so he had to leave, but he went undrafted but has earned his way onto the Jazz roster when they have injuries. 

It's becoming a much, much more viable option than it was even just 3-5 years ago. But again, I tend to agree that TJD would be better off staying in college at least one more year to see if he can raise his stock and get on of those all-important (though not as important as they used to be) first round slots.

17 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Hope I’m wrong....

....but I heard from my friend in Greenwood that her friend knows TJD’s mom and Mom says that he’s gone after this year. Don’t shoot the messenger, just reporting something that I’m hoping is gossip gone wrong. 

I’ve also heard his goal was to be a one and done. I’m in no way connected but I know a friend of his and that’s what he was telling kids on campus this summer. 

Archived