Guard Play...is it fixable?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watching Assembly Call last night and they had a stat that is hard to believe.  At home they are hitting 34% from 3 and the games away from AH they are hitting 20% from 3. % is ok but not great but to me the difference probably comes from confidence.  Also they looked back at stats from Dayton to see if Archie's teams there were bad shooters or to see if he can't developed shooters.  In 3 years his teams shot over 37% and were a little above average in attempts per game so it is not like that Archie has never emphasized the 3.  Also they looked at their key shooters in those years and all but 2 saw they averages increased from their freshman year to their senior year so it shows he can develop  shooters as well.

Considering a majority of our home games have been against pretty inferior foes (early schedule)...that really isn't too encouragine. 34% seems pretty high...throw out an anomalies on both side....Rutgers/Wisconsin maybe and then OSU/FSU...and the avg would probably be around 25% i'm betting....really bad. I think the kids can shoot...for whatever reason they are scared, unconfident, unsure, tentative whatever you want to call it. I think all of the team benefits when they see a shot go down early...finding ways to get some easy open looks from 15 feet etc would probably do them wonders. Coach just needs to let loose the reigns if he has them a little tight and give some guys the green light to miss. I know we want to play inside out...but at this point I don't even mind us coming down the floor and letting loose at the first open shot even if it hasn't gone inside first. Outside of Trayce I don't really think the trade off of working it around trying to get it into Brunk or Justin is even worth the trade off of guards not looking to shoot first.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Considering a majority of our home games have been against pretty inferior foes (early schedule)...that really isn't too encouragine. 34% seems pretty high...throw out an anomalies on both side....Rutgers/Wisconsin maybe and then OSU/FSU...and the avg would probably be around 25% i'm betting....really bad. I think the kids can shoot...for whatever reason they are scared, unconfident, unsure, tentative whatever you want to call it. I think all of the team benefits when they see a shot go down early...finding ways to get some easy open looks from 15 feet etc would probably do them wonders. Coach just needs to let loose the reigns if he has them a little tight and give some guys the green light to miss. I know we want to play inside out...but at this point I don't even mind us coming down the floor and letting loose at the first open shot even if it hasn't gone inside first. Outside of Trayce I don't really think the trade off of working it around trying to get it into Brunk or Justin is even worth the trade off of guards not looking to shoot first.

Actually it is because against the two top teams FSU and OSU we were 14-27

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We need a basketball version of Tim Tebow....lights come on...guy just performs.

Some guys are practice guys but not game guys.  Some guys are game guys but not practice guys.  Some guys are both and some guys are neither.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually it is because against the two top teams FSU and OSU we were 14-27

Yeah...I hadn't looked at the numbers. Imo you could say two games are statistical anomalies in the sample we size we have at this point. Throw those two games out plus our two worst and we probably would be about the same on the road as home....but still would be a pathetic number likely around 25-28%.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I hadn't looked at the numbers. Imo you could say two games are statistical anomalies in the sample we size we have at this point. Throw those two games out plus our two worst and we probably would be about the same on the road as home....but still would be a pathetic number likely around 25-28%.

Or you could say we played to the level of our competition at home in those 2 games.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:19 AM, Hoosierinbham said:

Not sure what to think about Damezi.  His defense and effort have been much better this year, but his shot is flat and very quirky. I remember a stretch where Kyle Hornsby was struggling to hit shots, but you knew with his stroke, it was just a matter of time.   I don't get that same feeling with Damezi's form.  Hopefully he becomes a good shooter with an ugly shot like Wayne Turner from UK back in the day.

I've told this story before, but last season when IU played Arkansas in the NIT, I watched Damezi stroke like 12-13 3's in a row during warm-ups.  He absolutely can hit from that distance.  Not sure why it hasn't translated to games at all.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've told this story before, but last season when IU played Arkansas in the NIT, I watched Damezi stroke like 12-13 3's in a row during warm-ups.  He absolutely can hit from that distance.  Not sure why it hasn't translated to games at all.

And the fact that he's basically got a green light suggests that Archie knows he can hit them too.

Regarding Hunter, we are seeing him piece things together again.  His stroke is fine.  

Once one or both of them hit a couple, the floodgates may open.  Ok, it's a Friday and I am in too good of a mood to not be positive!  

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

they moved the 3 point line remember.  That could be playing havoc with a guy like Anderson who doen't have a good looking shot in the first place.  Moving him back, since he doesn't really rise and fire, could cause him to just be terrible now.  

34 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

they moved the 3 point line remember.  That could be playing havoc with a guy like Anderson who doesn't have a good looking shot in the first place.  Moving him back, since he doesn't really rise and fire, could cause him to just be terrible now.  

He wasn't hitting them in games last year either and he wasn't exactly crowding the arc when he was nailing them repeatedly before the Arkansas game last season.  I think it's a big stage issue, but that's just a guess.

Why is Nojel Eastern 30% from the free throw line when he was 65% last year?  I know that line didn't move.

In both cases, it almost has to be something mental.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I keep saying it. He can shoot. He's not there yet at game speed in the college game. That doesn't change the fact he can shoot. 

With some guys it takes more time to really acclimate to that level of speed, pressure, attention, etc. 

Add to that, CAM will pull you if you're a frosh, or young player, and make any mistakes on D -- he has confirmed that publicly, and he wasn't asked, but it is probably true of taking shots CAM doesn't like, so that's probably in Demez's head (and for that matter, Hunter's). 

At some point he'll probably mature into a consistent shooter. That's just where he is right now.

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This kid will be on the floor a lot next season. Great looking shot to go with that athleticism 

seems like he could be a nice role player.  nice class of role players/4 year players.  just wish we had the talent around them to make it so they would be the missing pieces.  

Archived