Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Reacher said:

We outplayed Rutgers for the last 35 or whatever minuttes after that poor start. You can say that poor start cost us the game. Along with poor shooting, poor guard play, and poor decision making.

I blame it on the beer I drank....

Again another road loss where I try to process the lack of leadership on this team. It's not just the bad shooting; it's the complete lack of anybody stepping forward at tough times to make sure the ball goes inside. To make sure the pace slows down on the road when momentum is shifting. To make sure the 50/50 balls go in our favor. To rally the defense and show a tenacity to unify this team in the second half. And leadership isn't just a one person thing. There should be a core of players teaming up to make sure these things happen on the road, yet they just don't. 

And then there's the truly terrible shooting to compound this issue..... 

Give me one ultra quick guard that can beat his man off the dribble and surround him with 2 shooting guards (emphasis on shooting) a shooting stretch 4 and one ultra long athletic big to defend the rim/alter shots and I think I could live with whatever happens...I gotta think you are in every game if you have shooters....right now I think between turnovers and our horrible shooting you might as well count on giving away 30 possessions a night that we don’t even have a chance to score! Scary!

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

We outplayed Rutgers for the last 35 or whatever minuttes after that poor start. You can say that poor start cost us the game. Along with poor shooting, poor guard play, and poor decision making.

I don't think we out played them from the stretch where we were  up 22-21 to being down 45-28.  This team is just mentally weak especially on the road and when adversity hits they crumble.  Archie is going to have to change the type of kids he is bringing in and being in kids who are tough and hate to lose and will do what it takes to win.  You go 2-18 from 3 and have 16 turnovers you will not win anywhere.

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

No fire Archie post?!? Progress!! Dang we need someone to step up and make a couple! Had more than a few wide open ones!  That was a winnable game. Defense did a good job and we played hard. Not much else to discuss really. 

Yes, we’re all getting much more comfortable losing.

14FBB069-61AD-45D0-B082-AEA29887EEBF.gif

I think we played hard. The effort was there. I think the refs let too much go underneath and not enough outside. The only thing that is going to get the offense going is hitting outside shots so they can’t pack the middle or getting a ton of FTs.  We beat OSU because they had to guard the 3 because how hot we started at the start. That opened up driving and passing lanes. One thing I am so tired of is one handed shots. What ever happened to the two handed jumper?

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Give me one ultra quick guard that can beat his man off the dribble and surround him with 2 shooting guards (emphasis on shooting) a shooting stretch 4 and one ultra long athletic big to defend the rim/alter shots and I think I could live with whatever happens...I gotta think you are in every game if you have shooters....right now I think between turnovers and our horrible shooting you might as well count on giving away 30 possessions a night that we don’t even have a chance to score! Scary!

I think Phin in that guard! He’s just not been right all year. If he can get healthy, I think we can be good. 

I am pissed, I am also a realist(drunk).  We played as poorly as a team could play and still had a snowball's chance.  Gonna lick some wounds, drink 1 more beer, and go to bed.  Gonna get up with the lady in the morn, eat some breakfast, and watch the news.

And I will still be madder than hell about this damn pitiful performance we put on tonight.

Archived