Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

It's a simple game: if you make shots you win, if you don't you lose. We do enough things well that we don't have to be a great shooting team, or really even a good one, but we can't be terrible. I don't understand how we miss that many good looks. That was bad for a game in my driveway. I wish we could say we won't be that bad again, but I'm afraid the truth is that we will, but hopefully not every night. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

What would make you think that. I predicted we would last night? Did you see something that gave you confidence that we can score enough to win? Maybe if we can go unconscious from 3 and hit 25% we might have a chance 

I predicted us to lose last night 63-58 so I was not surprised about last night.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also last night if we would have gotten to the line closer to our average we would probably had won.  We only shot 12 last night compared to 27 per game we usually shoot.

Yeah, that could have saved us. The refs really let them play down low. I usually think refs call too many weak fouls, but they took things to the other extreme last night. I think they called it consistent for both teams, but they sure didn't want to call body contact. 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seasons not over and who would have thought we would win at MSU last year so it is to early to say we won't win a road game.

Just for fun let's make a friendly wager between fans. For every road win we get I will buy you a coke and bring it to you.  If we finish with 0 road wins you buy me a coke. That way I wont be upset if we do win a few. I just have no confidence that in a close game on the road that we have the leadership or anyone with a big enough set to go out and take a victory 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also last night if we would have gotten to the line closer to our average we would probably had won.  We only shot 12 last night compared to 27 per game we usually shoot.

If I hit 6 Powerball numbers I would not be on here discussing IU basketball I would be on a tropical island with a fruity drink in my hand but here I am

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just for fun let's make a friendly wager between fans. For every road win we get I will buy you a coke and bring it to you.  If we finish with 0 road wins you buy me a coke. That way I wont be upset if we do win a few. I just have no confidence that in a close game on the road that we have the leadership or anyone with a big enough set to go out and take a victory 

I drink Diet Pepsi LOL!

8 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

It's a simple game: if you make shots you win, if you don't you lose. We do enough things well that we don't have to be a great shooting team, or really even a good one, but we can't be terrible. I don't understand how we miss that many good looks. That was bad for a game in my driveway. I wish we could say we won't be that bad again, but I'm afraid the truth is that we will, but hopefully not every night. 

Generally I agree.  The one additional requirement is we have to limit turnovers.

Still, I don't think you can be a great team with sub par shooting.  At least not unless you have a lockdown "D" like UVA (and they won with better shooters than we have).

23 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The fact he didn’t yank out Devonte Green after 2 of the shots he took said enough.  That step back 3 would’ve been enough for any coach to not let him see the floor for at least a game.  I watched Witchita State last night (and no I’m not wanting their coach, and yes I know they lost) and one of the players made a lazy pass that many of our players do and he was immediately yanked and got an ear full.  That’s the kind of discipline we need and we aren’t getting it.

I didn't  have a huge problem with the step back.  We are probably just a few years away until college kids are hitting that shot consistently.   

1. Completely agree on overall discipline.  It hasn't lived up to what any of us were hoping.  

2. CAM not bringing in start now ability guards may wind up getting him fired.  I know he went after a handful and almost landed a few but thwre was no information of even looking at grad or juco guards.  It's become unacceptable.  

3. I think he's tried everything with Green.  I mentioned last week it seemed he was stuck between being a players coach and a disciplinarian.  It appeared he went all disciplinarian last week, it worked, got the w, and now we are back to square one.  

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

1. Completely agree on overall discipline.  It hasn't lived up to what any of us were hoping.  

How do any of us know this? I've seen our coach on the sidelines absolutely lose it. We're not in the huddles. We're not in the practices. We're not in the office talks...

He sat Devonte for the last half of Northwestern. We have to remember, we only have 4 scholarship guards. Taking one away for whatever reason really hurts.

Of course we could go with rico's suggestion and play Cooper Bybee, but I would venture to guess that if he was a viable option, he'd be in there...I would imagine Archie has seen enough of him in practice to know...and if we played him and got beat I can only imagine the bleating...

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Decided to watch the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix figured I would learn something new. IU game was going to be like watching a rerun and based on comments here same old story no one on this team can shoot( I MEAN MAKE) the ball consistently.  They can all shoot it just cant make it. Bring on the next episode 

PS Hernandez had a much higher shooting percentage. 

ouch!  that's solid though.  

13 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

3-3 in Big 10.  Our 3 wins are at home against the bottom 3 teams in current league standings.  

Rutgers beat us fairly easily.  We have no shooters.  We had 5 assists.  Not much to build on after a game like this.  

I thought it was 6 assists but you could be right  ..no one with more than two ...and 16 turnovers ...it’s the same story every game with the backcourt and when we hit tough shots and play with energy  we are athletic enough to cover it up most nights ...when we don’t hit them we will lose to middle of the road opponents we should beat 

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Absolutely— we lost by single digits on the road against a good Rutgers team despite horrible shooting —

Doubt we shoot this bad again.

And TJD just had his first bad game, would bet on his coming out strong next game. 

anyone throwing in the towel, take a step back a minute, losing ain’t fun but this looks like a game we can step up from and win the next 

Devonte says, "Hold my beer".

Go Hoosiers!!!

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How do any of us know this? I've seen our coach on the sidelines absolutely lose it. We're not in the huddles. We're not in the practices. We're not in the office talks...

He sat Devonte for the last half of Northwestern. We have to remember, we only have 4 scholarship guards. Taking one away for whatever reason really hurts.

Of course we could go with rico's suggestion and play Cooper Bybee, but I would venture to guess that if he was a viable option, he'd be in there...I would imagine Archie has seen enough of him in practice to know...and if we played him and got beat I can only imagine the bleating...

CAM has spoken about his relationship and handling of Green at length publicly.

And from my point of view he keeps trying to weave a delicate balance between the obvoius fragile confidence of the team and the continued low iq play/shots/decisions from so many on the team, not just Green, Al is good for 3-4 turnovers, at least a charge, and 3-4 bad shots a game but this board piles on Green.  

And yes with 4 guards, this falls on CAM for not bringing in more help.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Where have you seen anyone besides yourself talking  about firing Archie on here.  Are you just basing what you read from the lunatics on your rivals board.

Just read the comments on BB which is the moderate board.  Most are done with him assuming we miss the dance.  Next season might be even worse.  We will still have no shooters in year 4 which is completely ridiculous.  He may get a year 4 but it will be really ugly.

36 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Generally I agree.  The one additional requirement is we have to limit turnovers.

Still, I don't think you can be a great team with sub par shooting.  At least not unless you have a lockdown "D" like UVA (and they won with better shooters than we have).

Decrease turnovers and increase assists ...rob is the only one that looks like he even cares to create a shot for anyone and when he penetrates everyone stands still 

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And from my point of view he keeps trying to weave a delicate balance between the obvoius fragile confidence of the team and the continued low iq play/shots/decisions from so many on the team, not just Green, Al is good for 3-4 turnovers, at least a charge, and 3-4 bad shots a game but this board piles on Green.  

Four similar guards I think is the other thing to keep in mind although I feel rob when healthy is an exception there 

....sitting here at my high school classroom desk and thinking about last night's game, Archie and the team, ............There's a brief, quiet calm in my room as students have just left to go to their next  class..... Last night's game was frustrating and disappointing, but it felt different. Shooting was no where present last night, but IMO, heart, grit and drive was.  Some may disagree, some may not, but our defense keeps us in games. I feel, Archie spends so much time on the defensive side of the ball that our offense, including free throws have suffered. We are holding teams who often score at larger margins at much lower percentages. Rutgers is good.................

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've heard him...and, as I pointed out, he has disciplined Devonte.

And I said at the beginning of the year that if Al Durham was anything more than a backup, we'd be in real trouble.

So that basically leaves us with Rob, who's been hurt a good portion of the year, and still doesn't seem to be 100%, and Armaan, a freshman.

We can lament what Archie should or shouldn't have done with the 2 open schollies, but bringing in bodies just to bring in bodies doesn't help our cause. We were in on Carton and Quinones, but missed out...and even if we had got one of them, I'm not sure how much as freshman, they would have improved our offense...and yes, I've seen both play...but again, they're freshmen...

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just read the comments on BB which is the moderate board.  Most are done with him assuming we miss the dance.  Next season might be even worse.  We will still have no shooters in year 4 which is completely ridiculous.  He may get a year 4 but it will be really ugly.

You know I was not in favor of the hire in the first place but he will still be her next year.  For some reason I have a feeling Geronimo will come in next year a be a bigger contributor than people think.  Last night he hit 4-9 from 3 in his game so hopefully he can do that next year.

Not that it makes it any better for us today, but there really is a lot of bad basketball out there right now. 'Good' teams that just look like crap at times.  As if there's a total lack of IQ and fundamentals these days. I've tuned in to many games that are just terrible to watch for stretches. (No, not only our games)

Archived