Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....sitting here at my high school classroom desk and thinking about last night's game, Archie and the team, ............There's a brief, quiet calm in my room as students have just to go to their next  class..... Last night's game was frustrating and disappointing, but it felt different. Shooting was no where present last night, but IMO, heart, grit and drive was.  Some may disagree, some may not, but our defense keeps us in games. I feel, Archie spends so much time on the defensive side of the ball that our offense, including free throws have suffered. We are holding teams who often score at larger margins at much lower percentages. Rutgers is good.................

The goal of the offense is to get good shot. We got em, we just couldn't hit em.

I keep saying this, but the only way this team wins on the road is to force it inside, and keep forcing it inside. I know it gets crowded in there, but I believe it's the only way this team wins...that, and keep up the D as you cited...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Not that it makes it any better for us today, but there really is a lot of bad basketball out there right now. 'Good' teams that just look like crap at times.  As if there's a total lack of IQ and fundamentals these days. I've tuned in to many games that are just terrible to watch for stretches. (No, not only our games)

That is so true and Duke just lost on the road to a 8-7 Clemson team and UK just los ton the road to a 8-7 S. Carolina team.

3 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Relax everyone

Tried not to get too high after Ohio state and I won’t get too low today ...doesn’t matter what thread you hit though the majority of people see an issue with either consistency of effort or guard play ( our shooting is just not amazing so I don’t think it’s a debatable topic ) ...it’s frustrating to see the same issue in wins and losses and know it will hamstring us more often than not in big games 

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just read the comments on BB which is the moderate board.  Most are done with him assuming we miss the dance.  Next season might be even worse.  We will still have no shooters in year 4 which is completely ridiculous.  He may get a year 4 but it will be really ugly.

We moved down to #47 in the NET rankings.  That's bubble territory.   There are a lot of games left but a Nebraska loss would really hurt our chances of making the dance.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

Ha. Good luck with that. It’s either we stink and will always stink until we get a new coach or we are sunshine pumpers and have accepted mediocrity. 

I don’t know that I’d hang it on coaching I just think this guard group might not have panned out the way he thought ...arch could end up with three straight Mr basketballs on the roster and I think Galloway is more of a true guard ( maybe not with the physical talents of our other roster guards) I just think we need to change the back court prototype and increase the emphasis on basketball iq across the board 

3 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I don’t know that I’d hang it on coaching I just think this guard group might not have panned out the way he thought ...arch could end up with three straight Mr basketballs on the roster and I think Galloway is more of a true guard ( maybe not with the physical talents of our other roster guards) I just think we need to change the back court prototype and increase the emphasis on basketball iq across the board 

Oh no I agree. I’m in the camp that he’s a good coach he may or may not but the guy who knows like you said we just need smart players and see what happens. 

22 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Recruiting is not an exact science, that's for sure.  Same goes for the NBA & NFL draft.  I don't care where a recruit is ranked or played H.S. ball, if he fits and contributes consistently that's what matters.  I have to believe Archie DID expect several of these players would have provided more than what they have thus far. Really, I'm not sure of anyone other than Romeo or TJD was seen as a potential "stud".

The bottom line is this: Archie is in charge.  It's his responsibility to identify and bring in players and coach them to wins.  Thus far we haven't seen it.  We're along for the ride.  Archie has been, and will be given more time.  That length of time is undetermined, but it is finite.

Signed,

Mr. Obvious

25 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Recruiting is not an exact science, that's for sure.  Same goes for the NBA & NFL draft.  I don't care where a recruit is ranked or played H.S. ball, if he fits and contributes consistently that's what matters.  I have to believe Archie DID expect several of these players would have provided more than what they have thus far. Really, I'm not sure of anyone other than Romeo or TJD was seen as a potential "stud".

The bottom line is this: Archie is in charge.  It's his responsibility to identify and bring in players and coach them to wins.  Thus far we haven't seen it.  We're along for the ride.  Archie has been, and will be given more time.  That length of time is undetermined, but it is finite.

Signed,

Mr. Obvious

Agreed ...and in large part I think tjd has even overachieved and that’s saying something 

15 hours ago, moneyman40 said:

I think we played hard. The effort was there. I think the refs let too much go underneath and not enough outside. The only thing that is going to get the offense going is hitting outside shots so they can’t pack the middle or getting a ton of FTs.  We beat OSU because they had to guard the 3 because how hot we started at the start. That opened up driving and passing lanes. One thing I am so tired of is one handed shots. What ever happened to the two handed jumper?

No doubt...our guys haven't mastered the two handed shot...much less a one handed one....and then we even have guys shooting with their OFF HAND!!! I mean COME ON!! Sure that is an outstanding play....but if you can't HIT IT why why why are we letting them USE IT.

9 minutes ago, TN_Hoosier said:

Been watching IU basketball for 40 years.  The last two have been so tough that I tape all our games and only watch the ones we win.  Hopefully, that will change in the near future.  Until then, I'll keep taping the games.  Bummer!

That last year under Crean was pretty horrible though....obviously first year under Archie (but that was Crean's team)...last two years have been better than those two years....just more frustrating because of our potential...but it could be worse...we've seen it here before. I do think this team is just one or two skilled guards away from being really good.

Haven't posted here in a super long time because I've tried to practice the old adage, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'd love to be wrong but I see the rest of the season turning out almost identically to last years. 

Not asking for Archie to be fired because I know no one better is walking through those doors anytime soon but I'm extremely underwhelmed with his coaching abilities. Our ability to win essentially boils down to how many free throws we get, which is alarming considering how streaky we are at the line. It's pathetic/comical watching teams back off and give us wide open 3's because they know it's essentially a turnover. Sad to see that the only person who really possesses leadership qualities is a grad transfer... 

I'm tired of all the excuses. At this stage, Coach Miller has enough kids on his roster that he could solely play "his guys" and fulfill the vision he has for this team.

I know all of them are really good kids and work their butts off more than I'll ever imagine but it's objectively not good enough. If these kids are content with being an NIT caliber program, then so be it, but I assume they all came to Indiana because they wanted to play at a high level and be held to a high standard of excellence.

That being said, I'll never stop supporting this program! Go hoosiers!

2 hours ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Not that it makes it any better for us today, but there really is a lot of bad basketball out there right now. 'Good' teams that just look like crap at times.  As if there's a total lack of IQ and fundamentals these days. I've tuned in to many games that are just terrible to watch for stretches. (No, not only our games)

This x100....I'm out of market so I see a ton of games across the country and listen to ours on the radio app if I can't see it because its on BTN...and basketball in general is TERRIBLE this year....I see stretches where neither team can hit the broad side of a barn. Really really crappy basketball. I really do think...we hang around the middle of the pack and we simply play good basketball in the last few games leading up to the tournament...or have a good showing (which we never do) in the B1G tournament...we get in. Just have to do enough...then leave a good taste in their mouth come decision time. Honestly the selection crew has to be disgusted with basketball they are watching so the stretch run will stand out to them...do we finish strong or not. Until then...gotta win our home games and a steal a few road games if we lose one. Crazy thing....the game we had against FSU...probably one of the most impressive games I've seen ANYONE play this year...IU or ANYONE. OSU was pretty far up there too.

Just now, dgambill said:

This x100....I'm out of market so I see a ton of games across the country and listen to ours on the radio app if I can't see it because its on BTN...and basketball in general is TERRIBLE this year....I see stretches where neither team can hit the broad side of a barn. Really really crappy basketball. I really do think...we hang around the middle of the pack and we simply play good basketball in the last few games leading up to the tournament...or have a good showing (which we never do) in the B1G tournament...we get in. Just have to do enough...then leave a good taste in their mouth come decision time. Honestly the selection crew has to be disgusted with basketball they are watching so the stretch run will stand out to them...do we finish strong or not. Until then...gotta win our home games and a steal a few road games if we lose one.

last night in the PSU and Minnesota game PSU hit one shot  in 11 minutes.  When I turned the game n it was 58-54 with PSU up and there were 14:30 left in the game and  thought this is a good high scoring game.  PSU went from 17:30 to 5:25 with out making a shot and hit 3 free throws in that time frame.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

What would make you think that. I predicted we would last night? Did you see something that gave you confidence that we can score enough to win? Maybe if we can go unconscious from 3 and hit 25% we might have a chance 

You sound like you need to take a break from this team, man...the negativity is not good for one's soul.

I'm sorry, I lost it a little bit in the game thread.

Back to my recurring thought.  What were we, 2 for 19 from three point range.  We lost the game by what, 9 points?  Enough said.  If thees guys can hit a few shots we are in, or can win, every game.  Especially against a team like Rutgers, who cannot score too many points themselves.  Even with all of the other problems last night; too many turnovers, not enough offensive rebounds, weak offensive sets, letting them get transition baskets, etc, this game was still there for the taking if the team could just shoot 33% from the outside.  This should not be too much to ask for.

Archived