Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

My god...I just looked at the box score and we shot 10% from 3 and 30% overall.  The only good thing from this game is that if you read the message boards the majority now seems to be on the firing bandwagon.  It’s not like the Crean years.  We finally seem to be united as a fan base.  

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BGleas said:

I’m by no means happy we lost, but I said earlier today that I was going to judge this game by energy, intensity and passion from the players. I’d give a passing grade for that. This wasn’t an effort lose, and unfortunately where we’re at is this is how we judge things. 

You simply just can’t win a game on the road when you literally can’t make a shot outside the paint. There was one point where we hit Hunter on a BLOB play completely wide open for a mid-range wing jumper and after he missed you could just see Archie double over in frustration. 

These are high major D1 players, at some point you have to sack up and make some shots and make some plays. 

I thought the same thing on that shot because I thought any D1 player should hit that open look.

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

My god...I just looked at the box score and we shot 10% from 3 and 30% overall.  The only good thing from this game is that if you read the message boards the majority now seems to be on the firing bandwagon.  It’s not like the Crean years.  We finally seem to be united as a fan base.  

Where have you seen anyone besides yourself talking  about firing Archie on here.  Are you just basing what you read from the lunatics on your rivals board.

I was wondering wonder if there are any other fan base out there with a team that is 13-4 and tied for 5th in the conference who wants there coach fired?  it just amazes me how some fans over react after every game because you knew there would be some coming here calling for Archie to be fired.  I think there will be some very unhappy fans next year because Archie is not going anywhere after this year and he shouldn't.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was wondering wonder if there are any other fan base out there with a team that is 13-4 and tied for 5th in the conference who wants there coach fired?  it just amazes me how some fans over react after every game because you knew there would be some coming here calling for Archie to be fired.  I think there will be some very unhappy fans next year because Archie is not going anywhere after this year and he shouldn't.

I am not asking for the.coach to be fired but we are 13-4 because of the number of cupcakes we played. We could not shoot last year and it's far worse this year. It's not the record it's the product.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I am not asking for the.coach to be fired but we are 13-4 because of the number of cupcakes we played. We could not shoot last year and it's far worse this year. It's not the record it's the product.

I think the schedule is way over blown because every team play cupcakes.  Also I have not seen one person on this site saying that but that meant for dmbHoosier who said that the fans are untied in wanting Archie fired.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

You're not going to win this debate with him.  No matter what you have to say, he will have a response.  Better to just let him have the last word and move on

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes but worse. Happens to be one fan base across the river that after Saturday when they lose at Arkansas will be 12-5 and in 5th place in a much weaker conference with 4 F4's in the last 9 seasons who wants their coach to move along. That's if you believe the message board community reflects a fan base. Fringe is fringe. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Yes but worse. Happens to be one fan base across the river that after Saturday when they lose at Arkansas will be 12-5 and in 5th place in a much weaker conference with 4 F4's in the last 9 seasons who wants their coach to move along. That's if you believe the message board community reflects a fan base. Fringe is fringe. 

Well they probably are the only ones and they are lunatics as well.

I've seen some comparisons between our difficulty scoring last year and this year.  The difference, IMO, is last year we relied on Juwan & Romeo (to a lesser extent).  This year it's Devonte and Trayce.  It's made worse by the fact that JuMo was more consistent than DG.

I didn't sense that the players weren't playing hard, or the team wasn't prepared but rather we just can't score the basketball and continue to make unforced errors.  Horrible shooting and turnovers are a chronic problem with this roster.  6+ airballs is, IMO, proof that we just don't have the skill and confidence in shooting.

Sadly, our best opportunity to win is when either our opponents play poorly or we have a rare game where somebody's shot is falling.

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're not going to win this debate with him.  No matter what you have to say, he will have a response.  Better to just let him have the last word and move on

Where is the fun in that.  If I cant enjoy watching D1 athletes unable to score at least I can enjoy arguing with Scott.😀

I agree with what you are saying. 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the schedule is way over blown because every team play cupcakes.  Also I have not seen one person on this site saying that but that meant for dmbHoosier who said that the fans are untied in wanting Archie fired.

Over blown are you kidding me. We win at home most of the time. Crossroads in Indy and in NYC. 

How many of the teams we beat will be dancing this year. I could live with 3-3 on the road if we were competitive.  We used to have a joke I said to all my Purdue buddies but it applies to us. We should change our name to the Indiana Possums,  we are great at playing dead on the road.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Over blown are you kidding me. We win at home most of the time. Crossroads in Indy and in NYC. 

How many of the teams we beat will be dancing this year. I could live with 3-3 on the road if we were competitive.  We used to have a joke I said to all my Purdue buddies but it applies to us. We should change our name to the Indiana Possums,  we are great at playing dead on the road.

Non Conference schedule did not have the marquee game but we still had Arkansas, FSU, ND and UCONN so to me that is not to bad.  the other night when UK was at Georgia that was UK's first true road game and that was the second week of January.

20 minutes ago, Hard Hat said:

I read Archie is now 20-26 in the Big and 2-3 against Rutgers.  Is that correct?  Not good.  Pretty bad when Rutgers has our number as well.

Any idea what his road record overall is?

We are 11-1 at home 0-3 on the road and 2-0 Neutral.  I dont see us winning a road game this year. I hope I am wrong but just dont see it. At some point we are going to lose our home court advantage as well. 

The fact he didn’t yank out Devonte Green after 2 of the shots he took said enough.  That step back 3 would’ve been enough for any coach to not let him see the floor for at least a game.  I watched Witchita State last night (and no I’m not wanting their coach, and yes I know they lost) and one of the players made a lazy pass that many of our players do and he was immediately yanked and got an ear full.  That’s the kind of discipline we need and we aren’t getting it.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Non Conference schedule did not have the marquee game but we still had Arkansas, FSU, ND and UCONN so to me that is not to bad.  the other night when UK was at Georgia that was UK's first true road game and that was the second week of January.

We have only had 3 true road games.  Do you think that if we went and played half of our home on the road against top 150 teams we would have a record close to what we do?  Heck no!! 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And right now, LA Tech (2nd in CUSA) and South Dakota St (1st in Summit) are viable NCAA teams.

I'll give the naysayers the first 5 games, but since then we're 8-4 against P5 schools or NCAA contenders.

With the way this team has played at times, that's a miracle...

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Any idea what his road record overall is?

We are 11-1 at home 0-3 on the road and 2-0 Neutral.  I dont see us winning a road game this year. I hope I am wrong but just dont see it. At some point we are going to lose our home court advantage as well. 

I think we will win Saturday at Nebraska

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And right now, LA Tech (2nd in CUSA) and South Dakota St (1st in Summit) are viable NCAA teams.

I'll give the naysayers the first 5 games, but since then we're 8-4 against P5 schools or NCAA contenders.

With the way this team has played at times, that's a miracle...

With ZERO road wins. When is the last time a team made 5he tournament with 0 road wins?

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The fact he didn’t yank out Devonte Green after 2 of the shots he took said enough.  That step back 3 would’ve been enough for any coach to not let him see the floor for at least a game.  I watched Witchita State last night (and no I’m not wanting their coach, and yes I know they lost) and one of the players made a lazy pass that many of our players do and he was immediately yanked and got an ear full.  That’s the kind of discipline we need and we aren’t getting it.

If Archie was capable of accountability Devonte would already be playing for another team. Archie isn’t 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have only had 3 true road games.  Do you think that if we went and played half of our home on the road against top 150 teams we would have a record close to what we do?  Heck no!! 

I'm kind of somewhere in between.  I don't believe the number of cupcakes on the schedule is our problem, BUT playing no real road games before B10 play began was stupid. We were in no way prepared to deal with a road game at Wisconsin.  Our shooting at Rutgers was markedly worse than our already bad shooting.

Baptism under fire once conference play commences is a recipe for disaster, especially with a roster lacking in upperclassmen leaders.

Archived