Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Your first 2 points are valid...the second one in particular. Devonte is who he is, and he's not going to change. Now I know prevailing thought would be "bench him." I even said earlier in the Rutgers post game thread if I had been the coach, when he lost the ball dribbling between his legs then didn't challenge the layup on the other end, I would have sat him for the rest of the game...

We'll, look at the boxscore...Devonte only played 15 minutes...Hunter got more minutes than he did...think there was a message there?

That also addresses to a point your 2nd and 3rd assesrtions...leadership was bestowed on Devonte and Al by their teammates. I think Archie wants the team to provide its own leaders, much like RMK did...you can lead a horse to water...

I said in an earlier thread, Archie is trying to pound square pegs into round holes...some of the upperclassmen he wouldn't have recruited...

But, they're on the team...Devonte can provide this offensively limited team value...think we would have beaten FSU without him?

I don't know...maybe in the coming years I'll be proven a fool and finally come to the conclusion that Miller isn't the guy...

But I'm willing to give him the chance. And to be honest, there are times when I think, considering the circumstances (leftover players injuries last year), he's done a pretty good job...

My biggest gripe with Green is I find that for every FSU game he has one where he's a turnover machine and dismantles the flow of the offense. He's a senior and a captain, at this stage I shouldn't feel like I have no clue with Devonte is going to show up every game.

I'm absolutely going to give Archie a chance and support this team. I like all the guys and am glad that they chose to play at IU. Nonetheless, we went from firing a coach because we felt getting Big Ten titles and going to the Sweet 16 occasionally wasn't good enough to being content if we just make it to the big dance. I think Archie is a good coach but I haven't seen anything up to date to give me confidence that he's an elite one. 

39 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Blame whoever you want but the point remains that Smith hasn't diversified his skill set and the coaching staff hasn't done enough to get him to that next level. Not asking Smith to be a 6'8 Steph Curry but I think a lot of analysts see a guy w/NBA caliber size and athleticism but will never make it to the league because he can't score unless he's right underneath the basket. A mid-range jumper would do wonders and I wouldn't have to watch him dribble it off his foot crashing to the rim or settling for these fadeaway hooks he likes to do so much. 

As for the defense, I left it out because I was responding to someone asking me what i was underwhelmed with. 

I don't mind that at this point in the season that Brunk is the hardest worker but I didn't like hearing that in the offseason Brunk is telling guys that practice isn't over and that they need more reps. The guy that has just stepped on campus shouldn't be the one setting the standard for effort and excellence, it should be guys already on the team molding him into our culture. Just IMO says a lot about the players attitudes/staff's inability to motivate these kids to go the extra mile.

No offense but getting a little tired of hearing he needs a roster full of his players. Didn't take Juwan Howard, Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack, Lavall Jordan, Penny Hardaway, Anthony Grant, Eric Mussleman etc. this long to be successful with guys that don't fit their vision. Of the 5 players that get the most PT on this roster, 3 of them are Crean's guys. Seems to me like Crean's players are earning that PT because the guys that Archie recruited haven't developed enough...

That is on Smith himself because with the restrictions on coaches during the season and even in the off season players have to be self motivated.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is on Smith himself because with the restrictions on coaches during the season and even in the off season players have to be self motivated.

There is blame on both sides of the fence for player development.  without knowing if he puts on extra time or if CAM is trying to coach him up, we can't say one way or the other who is at fault.  So its both their fault for him not getting better the last 2 years

Archived