Indiana University vs Nebraska Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are a lot of games left but this is kinda a make or break kinda game.  Barring a collapse(injuries, etc...) from some other team... Nebraska is our weakest opponent and best chance to win on the road.  Plus a loss would be a bad loss since they are way down in the NET rankings(161 I think).  

We played terrible against them the 1st time and won so I don't think we need a great game to win.  Just have to stay focused for 40 minutes and we win.

63-59 IU wins.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

I see some puffs of smoke from the team in changing a few things. Work in progress for sure....but this is as close to a must win on January 18th as they get. Especially with Sparty and Maryland coming to town next week. 

*So when someone asks what puffs of smoke I see. It's just a feeling. Benching guys. Ohio St I saw some toughness I hadn't. Rutgers game too after spotting them 12. Baby steps in changing and again work in progress but I expect us to win this one Saturday.

16 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

We lose 162 - 4. The Era of Archie Facebook page organizes a torch and pitchfork mob and burns down Assembly Hall...all the while saying they are Indiana basketball supporters. They then beat up the firefighters saying that anyone who tries to put out the fire is settling for poor basketball and aren't real fans.

Uh your a scary fella, Caster. 

43 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

I think we are a better team but this will come down to coaching. This is in no way bashing Archie but I think Hoiberg is a really good college coach. If we lose it will be because of X’s and O’s. 

Think removing Phillips head screw with an oversized flathead screw driver. You can get the job done but it requires more effort, patience and commitment. Normally one could replace patience with beer but not in this case.

Seriously though, X’s and O’s aren’t the problem. Archie is a professor of the game. My beef with him at this point is player accountability.

9 hours ago, Inequality said:

Seriously though, X’s and O’s aren’t the problem. Archie is a professor of the game. My beef with him at this point is player accountability.

Totally agree he's not holding the guys accountable, at least to the degree some of us would.

But I'm less sure about the X's & O's not being a problem. If all of us see, and anticipate an opponent packing the lane and daring us to shoot from 3, for 17 games now, it seems to me that if you're a coach, you find a way to attack that defense. Oh...here's an idea... how about some double cross screens, or back screens, or maybe just any old screen. One of the first games we played, looked like a derivative of motion offense, with a boat-load of screening. I haven't seen it since.

(sorry...I'm getting pissed just thinking of it. And I've calmed down a LOT since the game)

16 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In 4 over time periods.  Game called because if broken backboard. 40 minutes of bricks on one end were too much for the goal to handle.😉 not negative just having fun.

Hard to break the backboard with bricks, when we only shoot air balls....:snack:

Thing we need to do that we did in our last meeting...

Crush them on the boards (50-28 last time) especially on out offensive end (16 offensive rebounds)

Pound the ball inside...Trayce, Joey, and Justin were a combined 17-23 (74%) from the field in that game and were a combined 15-24 (62%) from the FT line

Thing we need to avoid that we did in our last meeting

Shooting 25 3 pointers (5-25 20%)

Not closing out well on their 3 point shooters (12-32 38%)

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thing we need to do that we did in our last meeting...

Crush them on the boards (50-28 last time) especially on out offensive end (16 offensive rebounds)

Pound the ball inside...Trayce, Joey, and Justin were a combined 17-23 (74%) from the field in that game and were a combined 15-24 (62%) from the FT line

Thing we need to avoid that we did in our last meeting

Shooting 25 3 pointers (5-25 20%)

Not closing out well on their 3 point shooters (12-32 38%)

All I want is your 2nd point. Not saying we have to shoot 30 post shots but the ball has to go in there often. Our problem...especially on the road....is that we seem allow these quick 7-0 or 9-0 runs because our brains freeze for 2-3 possessions and just jack something up. You can get away with that at home sometimes. Not on the road.

Valuing each possession has to be priority one and valuing it means you work into the post for either easy shot or kick out. Again what I've been asking for isn't rocket science. Just good old fashion boring executing basketball. Kind of like a strong run game in football. 

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It will be ugly but I think we pull this one out somehow.  I feel bad for the mods if we don’t though.  A Saturday night on a 3 day weekend when everyone is drinking.  

3 day weekend? You work for the government?

Archived