Latest Bracketology IU a 9 seed

Indykev

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

If we hold serve at home, we're 11-9. If we go 4-2 in the next 6, we have played our 2 hardest home games, and arguably our 4 hardest home games, as well as 2 of our 3 toughest remaining road games. That puts us on track to be more like 12-8, at the worst. 

Hold serve at home with MSU, MD, PSU, Michigan, PU & Iowa all coming to town YIKES SIR!!!  All ranked except for a huge rival game vs PU.  Getting to 20 wins should get Archie COY or at least in the B10 & I’m not kidding.

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Hold serve at home with MSU, MD, PSU, Michigan, PU & Iowa all coming to town YIKES SIR!!!  All ranked except for a huge rival game vs PU.  Getting to 20 wins should get Archie COY or at least in the B10 & I’m not kidding.

What about Underwood if the Illini win 20?  I think we have a better roster than they do.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

What about Underwood if the Illini win 20?  I think we have a better roster than they do.

Yes Sir, huge win on the road vs a tough PU team has Underwood in the mix & the second half schedule  should sort all this out.  As I watched them tonight vs PU, I agree that IU has better talent and actually matches up well with what they do.  We contain Frazier from 3pt land & sick TJD, Brunk & Thompson on Cockburn I feel a winnable game on the road.  Didn’t see Illinois as a player for sure.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You’re not saying BU is a better recruiter and developer are you?  Because Archie definitely inherited more talent.

Underwood is getting a lot more out of the class he recruited last year.  Dosunmu is scoring 15.6 ppg, Feliz 10.3 ppg, Bezhanishvili 8.6 ppg, and Griffin 8.4 ppg.  That’s over half the 76 ppg they score as a team.  Then you add in Cockburn, who looks like a first round pick, averaging 15 ppg, and Underwood has put together a pretty damn good roster in the last two years.  Frazier and Nichols are the only “Groce guys” that get any run.  Frazier is one of the better guards in the conference, and Nichols is an average bench guy.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You’re not saying BU is a better recruiter and developer are you?  Because Archie definitely inherited more talent.

First it was Holtman, now its Underwood...whenever another program has a little success... lol

Underwood was 16-39 (11-27) his first 2 years at Illinois. You guys would be screaming "FIRE HIM" after those first 2 seasons. 

And no, Miller didn't "definitely inherit more talent".

Underwood brought in Dosunmu and Cockburn.....both have developed into NBA players. 

19 minutes ago, JugRox said:

First it was Holtman, now its Underwood...whenever another program has a little success... lol

Underwood was 16-39 (11-27) his first 2 years at Illinois. You guys would be screaming "FIRE HIM" after those first 2 seasons. 

Underwood brought in Dosunmu and Cockburn.....both have developed into NBA players. 

Thanks for making my point.  He didn’t inherit much.  He recruited and developed most of the talent he has.  But no I wouldn’t trade Archie for BU.  Not yet at least.

28 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Agree.....and when Ayo and Cockburn leave for NBA after this year that roster will be back to 6-14. 

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks for making my point.  He didn’t inherit much.  He recruited and developed most of the talent he has.  But no I wouldn’t trade Archie for BU.  Not yet at least.

Yes, he actually did inherit a lot.  Two top 50 players in Lands and Black.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes, he actually did inherit a lot.  Two top 50 players in Lands and Black.

He also promised the world and landed 4 star/5 star Mr. Illinois in Mark Smith (who later transferred after one year). Underwood first year had 3 very solid starters/players  and he went 4-14 in conference play.

He's doing much better this year obviously but saying he didn't inherit much or have enough in his first year isn't right. Just my 2 cents.

This year’s Illinois team is actually a lot like what IU would be if Romeo had stayed like Dosunmu did, which obviously makes a big difference.  But the other issue is they’re currently getting a lot more out of Bezhanishvili, Feliz, and Griffin than we are out of Hunter, Anderson, and Thompson.

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not sure if it is this year though.  Usually those top 3-5 teams are a cut above the rest but I don’t know if there are really any elite teams this season.

I'd agree with that.  There are certainly some teams that are better, but no team that really strikes fear into an opponent.

34 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This year’s Illinois team is actually a lot like what IU would be if Romeo had stayed like Dosunmu did, which obviously makes a big difference.  But the other issue is they’re currently getting a lot more out of Bezhanishvili, Feliz, and Griffin than we are out of Hunter, Anderson, and Thompson.

I don't understand the point of comparing these 6 players.  

Feliz is a senior.  He would be compared to DG.  Then comparing starter guys that start or play considerable more minutes that Race, Jerome, and Demezi.  Guys playing 25 mins a game vs guys play 10 or 11.  I just don't see the correlation. Can you go a little further here? 

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't understand the point of comparing these 6 players.  

Feliz is a senior.  He would be compared to DG.  Then comparing starter guys that start or play considerable more minutes that Race, Jerome, and Demezi.  Guys playing 25 mins a game vs guys play 10 or 11.  I just don't see the correlation. Can you go a little further here? 

The comparison is that all of the players I mentioned in that post were part of the 2018 recruiting class (although Thompson was technically 2017 with a redshirt year).  Feliz is a JuCo transfer, but he was part of Underwood’s first class that wasn’t made up of “Groce guys.”  So the comparison is that between both coaches in Year 3, Underwood is currently getting a lot more out of the 2018 recruiting class (the first class with “his” guys) than Archie is.  Part of that is due to the fact that Romeo left while Dosunmu stayed, and then there are all the injuries to IU’s 2018 class, but that seems to be the major difference between the programs right now.  Like Seeking6 said though, Illinois will be headed back to square one if/when Dosunmu and Cockburn leave for the pros after this year.

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The comparison is that all of the players I mentioned in that post were part of the 2018 recruiting class (although Thompson was technically 2017 with a redshirt year).  Feliz is a JuCo transfer, but he was part of Underwood’s first class that wasn’t made up of “Groce guys.”  So the comparison is that between both coaches in Year 3, Underwood is currently getting a lot more out of the 2018 recruiting class (the first class with “his” guys) than Archie is.  Part of that is due to the fact that Romeo left while Dosunmu stayed, and then there are all the injuries to IU’s 2018 class, but that seems to be the major difference between the programs right now.  Like Seeking6 said though, Illinois will be headed back to square one if/when Dosunmu and Cockburn leave for the pros after this year.

And where are we headed when TJD bolts?  I bet it happens.

Not making any bets, but I don't think TJD makes the NBA jump next year, because...

1. he needs to learn to be more physical. He gets pushed around a fair amount. But he'll get there
  2. he has yet to develop his right hand. IMO he's more dependent on his left, than Romeo was on his right
  3. he needs to develop at least a consistent mid range shot. He looks like a good shooter, but seems hesitant to take it. 

i think his ceiling is a mile high. Elated we have him, and I see him evolving into a 'functional' leader, if not a vocal one, which could happen as well.

16 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

It's important to read the quoted text I'm responding to.

Archived