Latest Bracketology IU a 9 seed

Indykev

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't see TJD making the jump this year.  Not impossible, but I don't see it. 

That said, I don't see him staying beyond next year though. 

It's looking pretty close to impossible. He has done a great job picking on lesser teams, he has not been spectacular against good teams. I'm not sure that he has even been Big 10 average. He's got a bright future, but no mock draft has him in the NBA next year. They're not infallible, but they are good at what they do and they have legitimate reasons.

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks for making my point.  He didn’t inherit much.  He recruited and developed most of the talent he has.  But no I wouldn’t trade Archie for BU.  Not yet at least.

There are a few questions lingering from his last gig to make me a little skeptical about whether he does things the right way.  Too lazy to look up the specifics or tax my memory but didn't he have an assistant at his last school that got caught up in the FBI sting?

44 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

It's looking pretty close to impossible. He has done a great job picking on lesser teams, he has not been spectacular against good teams. I'm not sure that he has even been Big 10 average. He's got a bright future, but no mock draft has him in the NBA next year. They're not infallible, but they are good at what they do and they have legitimate reasons.

He is a lottery pick in the Chicken Little mock.  :coffee:

What a joke by espn. Osu drops to a 7 at 12-6 and we move up to a 9 at 15-4 and we beat them. Somewhat handily if we hit our free throws at home. Be interesting to see how things play out. Rutgers has 2 more home games then has a gauntlet to finish with so many big ten road games. We just need to hold serve at home and not get hammered on the road or steal one. Try to avoid that 8-9 game would be nice. Although this year who knows what could happen. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

What a joke by espn. Osu drops to a 7 at 12-6 and we move up to a 9 at 15-4 and we beat them. Somewhat handily if we hit our free throws at home. Be interesting to see how things play out. Rutgers has 2 more home games then has a gauntlet to finish with so many big ten road games. We just need to hold serve at home and not get hammered on the road or steal one. Try to avoid that 8-9 game would be nice. Although this year who knows what could happen. 

OSU plays at Northwestern this weekend.

I think its do or die for them.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Lunardi currently has us as a #9 seed after the MSU game...that's absolutely laughable....

It seems laughable to me also but I just looked at the NET ratings the committee uses for tourney selections, which were updated after last nights win, and we zoomed up one spot to 50th.

EDIT....It looks like it just got updated and we have moved to 42nd which would roughly equate to a 9 seed. It was a jump of 8 places. Win again Sunday and we will keep rising.  OSU has lost 6/7, lost at home last night and fell to 23rd lol.

5 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

We are getting hammered in the analytics like NET and Kenpom due to our general trend of close wins and noncompetitive losses.  Bottom line is keep winning and we will get to where we need to be.

I don't think that should play into it because to me it should not matter how much you win or lose by.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think that should play into it because to me it should not matter how much you win or lose by.

@CincyHoosier 

Guys it has been noted that margin of victory is not factored in kenpom.  Kenpom is a predictor based on efficiency.  

I believe net is more less a composite but I could be wrong.  I like to take a broad look at all of them, sagarin, rpi, kenpom, bpi,  and net.  By February, they all start to loom alike aside from the outliers like,  Wisconsin,  Virginia,  and their newer darling Purdue and OSU.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@CincyHoosier 

Guys it has been noted that margin of victory is not factored in kenpom.  Kenpom is a predictor based on efficiency.  

I believe net is more less a composite but I could be wrong.  I like to take a broad look at all of them, sagarin, rpi, kenpom, bpi,  and net.  By February, they all start to loom alike aside from the outliers like,  Wisconsin,  Virginia,  and their newer darling Purdue and OSU.

Saw we're 25 in rpi

I looked at the NET rankings a bit more and can see why we are ranked 42nd.  I’m not sure if NET uses your opponents current rankings, or if they use the opponents ranking at the time you beat them, but a look at 10 of our wins and the teams current NET rankings:

Western IL, 310, Portland State 188, N Alabama 285, Troy 234, Princeton 197, LA Tech 91, SD State 136, Nebraska (2 wins) 165, Northwestern 144.  

The early schedule is hurting us a bit but in the end it won’t matter if we continue to get some good wins. From now until the end of the season the lowest NET team we play, ranked 46, is Purdue. We have a lot of chances to rise and get a decent seeding or at least be safely in the tourney. If we play as hard as we did last right things will work out well. Sunday is another BIG game.

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@CincyHoosier 

It may not factor in margin of victory directly but implicitly in the offensive and defensive efficiency.  Generally speaking our efficiency is just barely good enough to get us to our current W-L record according to a lot of these metrics.  And, generally speaking, it's due to close wins (which can actually hurt effeciency ratings) and blow out losses (which kill effeciency ratings). 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Count me in on the team winning close rather than losing close. Seems to equate better to making the tourney regardless of rankings lol

Agree 100% but this one of the reasons we arent getting a bigger bump in advanced ranking systems.  At the end of the day, just win. 

23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For what they are intended to measure, I think Pomeroy's calculation is accurate.  Are we a pretty good team? Yes.  Are we improving? Yes.  Are we an efficient team? Ehhh.....eye test says no.  We're tough.  We're gritty.  We're not efficient. 

I'd like to see our d efficiency over the past 4 or so games.  Feel like things have ramped up a notch.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'd like to see our d efficiency over the past 4 or so games.  Feel like things have ramped up a notch.

It's not a true defensive efficiency metric, but our defensive points per possession has stayed under 1 for the last 4 games.  By comparison, Arkansas was 1.01, Maryland 1.09, the first Nebraska game 1.10, Wisconsin 1.35.  So I'd say that observation may have some legs.

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I looked at the NET rankings a bit more and can see why we are ranked 42nd.  I’m not sure if NET uses your opponents current rankings, or if they use the opponents ranking at the time you beat them, but a look at 10 of our wins and the teams current NET rankings:

Western IL, 310, Portland State 188, N Alabama 285, Troy 234, Princeton 197, LA Tech 91, SD State 136, Nebraska (2 wins) 165, Northwestern 144.  

The early schedule is hurting us a bit but in the end it won’t matter if we continue to get some good wins. From now until the end of the season the lowest NET team we play, ranked 46, is Purdue. We have a lot of chances to rise and get a decent seeding or at least be safely in the tourney. If we play as hard as we did last right things will work out well. Sunday is another BIG game.

And here are the rankings of 8 of 12 OSU wins:

UNC 113, Kent St 122, NEB 165, UMass Lowell 272, Purdue FW 278, Morgan St 287, Stetson 309, SE MO St 341

They were swept by MN which is 39, yet OSU is still 23.

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Bulletin board material... Just stay under the radar and keep winning.....

Archived