IU's History with the Three-Point Line

Wow, Great stuff! I had no idea Alford shot 53% from 3 that year or that the team shot 50%. That’s insanely good. I find it interesting that that ‘87 team shot 256 three’s and the average number of 3’s for the previous 2 years has been 639 per year shooting 31% and 32% respectively. I don’t have any great deduction from that, other than the obvious, we suck as shooting 3’s, but I kind of think at some point you just are who you are and if you know you’re not gonna make enough of them, maybe stop shooting so many and just pound it inside. Thanks again for the article, great work as always! 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There was a year maybe 83 where they experimented with the 3 and Wittman and Kitchel shot really well but did not shoot that many.  Also the ACC did this as well but the 3 line went through the foul line so it was not even 19'9

It was indeed '83...can't remember where the line was at though.  I remember the ACC doing it as well from a really short distance.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

There was a year maybe 83 where they experimented with the 3 and Wittman and Kitchel shot really well but did not shoot that many.  Also the ACC did this as well but the 3 line went through the foul line so it was not even 19'9

Was that the season when Knight said there were only 3 players in the league who could make that shot, and he had two of them?

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Was that the season when Knight said there were only 3 players in the league who could make that shot, and he had two of them?

I don't recall him saying that but if he did he was full of it.  Off memory Skiles(MSU) and Steve Reid(Purdue) were dead eyes.  Iowa had Bob Hansen and Michigan had that Eric Turner.  

17 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Wow, Great stuff! I had no idea Alford shot 53% from 3 that year or that the team shot 50%. That’s insanely good. I find it interesting that that ‘87 team shot 256 three’s and the average number of 3’s for the previous 2 years has been 639 per year shooting 31% and 32% respectively. I don’t have any great deduction from that, other than the obvious, we suck as shooting 3’s, but I kind of think at some point you just are who you are and if you know you’re not gonna make enough of them, maybe stop shooting so many and just pound it inside. Thanks again for the article, great work as always! 

Even in Knight's last year they only shot 336.  It made me wonder what would happen if you kept your attempts that low today.  Player rebellion might be one outcome.  I just don't think anyone practices the midrange anymore, so guys can either make layups or threes.  And if you can't make threes and the paint is congested, well, we know what happens.

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Even in Knight's last year they only shot 336.  It made me wonder what would happen if you kept your attempts that low today.  Player rebellion might be one outcome.  I just don't think anyone practices the midrange anymore, so guys can either make layups or threes.  And if you can't make threes and the paint is congested, well, we know what happens.

To me this is the reason we have seen so many offensive struggles in college basketball this year.  You need to be able to score at all levels and not just layups or 3's.  Now with the line farther back you will need to be able to hit that mid range shots because those are usually open and should be easy to hit.

5 hours ago, rico said:

I don't recall him saying that but if he did he was full of it.  Off memory Skiles(MSU) and Steve Reid(Purdue) were dead eyes.  Iowa had Bob Hansen and Michigan had that Eric Turner.  

I remember he claimed that he made that comment to get opposing players to shoot it to prove him wrong.  I just don't know what season it was, but think it was the "experimental" season.

11 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I remember he claimed that he made that comment to get opposing players to shoot it to prove him wrong.  I just don't know what season it was, but think it was the "experimental" season.

That's EXACTLY what he was doing.  He wanted teams to come in and take bad shots.  I was thinking it was '87 when he said that with Alford. 

The '83 line was UBER short: 

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/2335951/

Don't remember him saying he had two guys who could shoot it, but if it was '83 he would've been talking about Kitchel and Wittman I would guess.  

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looked at the 82-83 season stats and Wittman was 8-18 and Kitchel was 21-32 from 3 and no one else shot a 3 that year.  I also don't remember if we just used it for the conference season and not the non conference.  I know they did not use it in the tournament that year.

Just conference play...the NCAA let each conference decide on a distance.

BTW...Skiles was 25-50 that year.

Archived