Nebraska post game

Drroogh

Just now, JugRox said:

And we should all be worried. The real test starts Thursday

Why worry when every team in the BIG 10 can't win on the road. We HAVE won on the road  and have not peaked yet. Our shooting is going to get better. Show me a better 1 2 under the bucket than TDJ and Joey. We beat the mighty Spartans twice last year but can't play with them this year? Our shooting is going to get better! Jerome is the KEY 

. He had a taste of shots falling he will get better. DG and the rest of the team will come out better from Jerome being able to hit shots. I think DG thinks he is the only 1 that can make a 3 Just my thoughts

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

You know what I noticed tonight...our passing was on spot that got people in rhythm for a jumpshot. Our guys were also prepared to pull the trigger tonight getting their feet set up hands up etc ready for the pass to shoot. Seems like Archie really worked on those things this week. It was a breath of fresh air until the drought but we fought through that. 

That was all Franklin...he makes freshman mistakes but more than makes up for them with his smart, fundamental play on both ends.  He makes two handed passes and puts the ball where it needs to be for shooters to shoot in rhythm.  Durham and Green make lazy, sloppy, one handed passes that arrive slow and late and the shooters usually have to reach back for them.  The offense is just so much more efficient and balanced with Al on the bench.  At the very least, Al and Green should never be on the floor together and Al should NEVER be the primary ball handler.

25 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

That was all Franklin...he makes freshman mistakes but more than makes up for them with his smart, fundamental play on both ends.  He makes two handed passes and puts the ball where it needs to be for shooters to shoot in rhythm.  Durham and Green make lazy, sloppy, one handed passes that arrive slow and late and the shooters usually have to reach back for them.  The offense is just so much more efficient and balanced with Al on the bench.  At the very least, Al and Green should never be on the floor together and Al should NEVER be the primary ball handler.

I do think Al should not be the ball handler. But  Rob was hurt for so long and who knows what DG is going to give us. Do you really throw  Armaan to the wolfs. I just think since CAM giving the team the reaming they  needed. That things will fall in place as the season go forward.

I don’t think Green played as poorly as everyone else seems to think. Didn’t turn the ball over a lot and had some nice assists. Definitely need and want more out of him, but I’d hardly say he was bad tonight. I’d certainly say his minutes were better then Al’s. 🤷‍♂️

Even though Green did not play well, Franklin assuming more point and allowing him to slide off ball was a development I was pleased to see.

Also, better, more efficient and creative entry pass angles to feed the post.

Players are playing better and smarter, it looks like our offense is starting to take on more exotic layers. 

7 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

No they wouldn’t have.

Yeah, this type of thinking is ridiculous. Season is just over halfway through-there is no one game that is going to determine our fate. It’s a body of work. Every team in the B1G is going to have bad losses/good wins. It’s the nature of the league every year, although maybe more so this year.

3 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah, this type of thinking is ridiculous. Season is just over halfway through-there is no one game that is going to determine our fate. It’s a body of work. Every team in the B1G is going to have bad losses/good wins. It’s the nature of the league every year, although maybe more so this year.

This.

I mean, I get the OP’s thinking, but it’s unnecessarily hyperbolic. Not to mention, it makes for a ridiculous mindset to be in while sitting down to watch a game.

Very heartening performance.  Turning the corner in terms of attitude out there (knock on wood).  

My favorite rotation: Brunk, TJD, Phinisee, Franklin, Hunter, Smith, Thompson.  

I couldn’t be happier that Archie now pulls guys and holds them accountable.  It’s not just Green.  Hunter, who I like a lot, made a bone headed play and got pulled.  Archie will put you back in but he’s holding guys accountable much better.   

Love Brunk.  He’s unsung. He sets a great tone out there.  He’s exactly what we wanted when we recruited him.  He wasn’t brought here to be Bill Walton.  He’s here to lead, play hard, be tenacious, and never back down.  He’s an Indiana player through and through. Any era.  

TJD is everything we could have wanted.  His hands are like  suction cups especially considering he’s a freshman.

People dog Smith but he truly has improved in terms of slashing.  He’s good on the boards.  It’s pretty obvious he will never be a high motor guy but he brings things to the table.  You want to pull your hair out with some of his lackadaisical play but he can get some buckets when you need them and everyone else is timid. There was a play today where he could have come over and helped when TJD got beat on a drive but he just stood there guarding no one.  I was in such disbelief that I played it back because I thought surely that didn’t happen.  It was worse.  I’d love to see RMK with the videotape on that one.  But there are other times he mans up so you live with it I guess although it caps your ceiling as a team.

You can see Hunter putting it together. He’s gotten enough game experience and it’s showing. 

Race should play based on motor and potential for development.  

Franklin can do so many things.  He’s worth giving a longer leash to.  He’s a freshman so there will be ups and downs but heavy PT for him is worth the investment.  The upside is there. The alternatives are nil.  Durham is physically outmatched and Green is mentally outmatched. They can be spot players but you’re going nowhere with them.  Franklin has all the tools those guys lack. Durham should focus on being a stabilizing guy off the bench when the starters need a kick in the pants.  Take the pressure off the kid.  

3 hours ago, JugRox said:

What’s really crazy is there are IU fans pissed we are 14-4.

Should have beat Arkansas, looked better vs lower tier B10 teams, shoot better from distance, have more consistent guard play, etc..Which is all 100% correct.

And yet, IU is 14-4 

BobSaccamanno

I think they will dare us to shoot and we will hit enough jumpers. After that 2-19 debacle, I could see some guys be determined.  

Also, Jerome could really emerge.  Signs are he’s getting more comfortable and shaking the rust off. 

I wrote that in the pre/game. Now I have to return the DeLorean to Doc Brown.  I just hope there aren’t any Libyans in a VW bus.

6 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

We have to play both Al and Devonte,but I do agree we should avoid if possible playing them together. We will need their best games the rest of the way! We will go as for as your guard play will take us! 

You can see Hunter getting more confidence every game! If we can get him clicking. Things could go very well for us. 
Again we had another long drought which allowed Neb to come back at the end. I heard we went 10 straight possessions an only got 2 points during that stretch. I keep hearing people saying we stop going inside. Or is it missed shots and turn overs that send us into these droughts. I believe it’s more turnovers, that puts pressure on us to score which seems to grinds us to a stop. If I am remembering right we had at least 4 turnovers in that drought at the 12:00 minute to 4: 00 mark. 

Just an observation. 4 page thread for a conference road win while our conference road loss to Rutgers was 9. Hmmmm...

Regarding game. I'm sure others pointed out but 13 boards and 4 assists for TJD. Message received to his brain riding the pine vs Rutgers. I was critical of Brunk earlier in year and I'll be asking for his forgiveness for awhile. Get home. Get some rest and get ready for toughest home week of the year.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

You can see Hunter getting more confidence every game! If we can get him clicking. Things could go very well for us. 
Again we had another long drought which allowed Neb to come back at the end. I heard we went 10 straight possessions an only got 2 points during that stretch. I keep hearing people saying we stop going inside. Or is it missed shots and turn overs that send us into these droughts. I believe it’s more turnovers, that puts pressure on us to score which seems to grinds us to a stop. If I am remembering right we had at least 4 turnovers in that drought at the 12:00 minute to 4: 00 mark. 

What I really noticed about Hunter last night wasn't his offense - it was how long he looks on defense. Definitely nice to see him knock down some shots, though. Really liked our defense pretty much throughout the game.

Really nice win overall. I'm fine with Green being used exactly like that every game, and giving those minutes to Franklin or someone else who doesn't take dumb step back 3s. Our front line was dominant, we knocked down some outside shots which will hopefully give us some confidence going forward, and we're simply a much better team when Rob is playing well. Was also nice to see Justin developing a post game - some nice moves down there the last couple of games. Went from very concerned going into the game to somewhat confident going forward. Sparty/Maryland are tests that are coming at the perfect time. 

Great road win. Feels like could be a turning point. Maybe we should always arrive day of game from now on 😁

Side note, anyone else feel like these numbers below seem off? The good news is we control our own destiny to drastically improve this moving forward with the gauntlet we’ll face  

Indiana's computer rankings as of Sunday morning:

NET: 49
KenPom: 40
Sagarin: 41
T-Rank: 43
BPI: 43

8 hours ago, madmax said:

I don’t think Green played as poorly as everyone else seems to think. Didn’t turn the ball over a lot and had some nice assists. Definitely need and want more out of him, but I’d hardly say he was bad tonight. I’d certainly say his minutes were better then Al’s. 🤷‍♂️

If I simply looked at the box score, I'd agree, but if bad shots counted as turnovers....

Did anybody else see that Archie was more focused on Hunter than any other player when they showed bench shots?

When Jerome was getting torched by Cheatham in the 2nd half, he got pulled. Smith came in and had 3 really good defensive possessions on Cheatham to cool him off...

Late in the game, you could see Archie talking to Jerome on the bench, and I'd venture to say it was about guarding Cheatham. Jerome got in there, didn't fall for the shot fake, and kept his body between Hannnif and the basket...nice defensive play...

And I think the reason Devonte got to rest most of the 2nd half was because of the egregious foul on the 3 pointer by Mack...that wasn't his only transgression, but I think it was the final straw for CAM.

Archived