Nebraska post game

Drroogh

Just now, IUFLA said:

And I think the reason Devonte got to rest most of the 2nd half was because of the egregious foul on the 3 pointer by Mack...that wasn't his only transgression, but I think it was the final straw for CAM.

Definitely agree. They cut to Archie on the bench after that foul, and it reminded me of the "what the F are you doing?" face that Mike Davis made when Dane Fife fouled Jay Williams in the Duke game in 2002. Green is still going to have to see the court, but this idea that he's suddenly going to "get it" is an exercise in futility. He's not changing, folks.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the game again. Al made some really stupid plays. Got 2 stupid reach in fouls in the first 4 minutes. His passing was very lazy, not crisp or sharp like Green's, or Armaan's. Wasn't aware of his guy on multiple occasions on defense and got beat a bunch. (hence the lazy reach in fouls).

Archie should have benched him earlier than he did.

12 hours ago, JugRox said:

What’s really crazy is there are IU fans pissed we are 14-4.

Should have beat Arkansas, looked better vs lower tier B10 teams, shoot better from distance, have more consistent guard play, etc..Which is all 100% correct.

And yet, IU is 14-4 

Yet fans like me need sleep for pointing that and more , out ...

I personally think it was cowardly of you to make a snarky comment to me-and lack the testicles to acknowledge my reply!

Who in the he'll do you think you are chum?

Put my understanding of sports and the undercurrents of society - of which sport is a microcosm- to the test ANY day! I am as well versed as they come and I can hold my end discussing as much with anyone .Just don't expect people you don't otherwise reply to take too warmly to out of the blue whatever the hell that was you thought you would pull.

You could have asked for a clearer explanation which I could have admittedly done much better at in the day.The truth doesn't bother me.The context I don't.care for one bit though.I was originally making a fairly serious comment regarding a general subject that pisses me off because it is collective behavior issues out of any individuals hands to control, but rather a fanbase instead.

I just have enough respect in our situation to explain why! That's the least of things you could have done! 

And there you have it.... so you don't misconstrue where I'm coming from yet again.Otherwise take the coward way out of this and hit that ignore poster .Do us both favor... one way or the other but to this moment I think that was weak sauce - seeing here the confirmation you indeed know you were replied to by me, for that-  and chose to dance out after you got the party started.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just an observation. 4 page thread for a conference road win while our conference road loss to Rutgers was 9. Hmmmm...

Regarding game. I'm sure others pointed out but 13 boards and 4 assists for TJD. Message received to his brain riding the pine vs Rutgers. I was critical of Brunk earlier in year and I'll be asking for his forgiveness for awhile. Get home. Get some rest and get ready for toughest home week of the year.

Up to page 5 now... Let's see where we end up in a couple days.  Comparing posts over 5 days to 12 hours is apples and oranges...

That was a nice TEAM win. Hope Franklin and Jerome take away some confidence from their play. I see them being key factors the rest of tthe season.

I think this team has some upside and our shooting (or lack thereof) will determine how far that is.

What is frustrating is that this is a year we could have really dominated if we had the smart play and shooting all year long due to lack of any dominant teams. Butler ranked #5? That should have been IU!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just an observation. 4 page thread for a conference road win while our conference road loss to Rutgers was 9. Hmmmm...

Regarding game. I'm sure others pointed out but 13 boards and 4 assists for TJD. Message received to his brain riding the pine vs Rutgers. I was critical of Brunk earlier in year and I'll be asking for his forgiveness for awhile. Get home. Get some rest and get ready for toughest home week of the year.

We’ve sorta discussed it before. I chalk it up to nothing more than human nature. People just generally like to talk a lot more about problems.

Don’t goad folks. We aren’t gonna run the table, they’ll be plenty more opportunity to do battle with the hyper critics.

1 minute ago, zerawkid said:

We’ve sorta discussed it before. I chalk it up to nothing more than human nature. People just generally like to talk a lot more about problems.

Don’t goad folks. We aren’t gonna run the table, they’ll be plenty more opportunity to do battle with the hyper critics.

It's not goading. Just pointing out that maybe human nature (your words) is wrong? Anyway...I'll get back to hoops. Agree....there will be plenty of time for talk later. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's not goading. Just pointing out that maybe human nature (your words) is wrong? Anyway...I'll get back to hoops. Agree....there will be plenty of time for talk later. 

Yeah, no, I didn’t mean to imply you were goading. I think I meant to say “careful not to goad” them.

Its gonna be a fun next few weeks!

The GOOD:  We knocked down some 3's.  Everybody who played scored and contributed.  We got the the ball inside more (because of Nebraska's lack of size and hitting some 3's).  We recognized, took, and hit some nice midrange shots.  The team seemed focused for most of the time.

The BAD: Still had a scoring drought, but it started while we had a double-digit lead so we had some "cushion".  Guard play was shaky with ball coming down the stretch - Rob had a couple of lapses as did Armaan (but I liked that Archie stuck with him).  Al had a bad game.

The UGLY:  Truthfully the ugliest thing in the game was the officiating. I have no idea whatsoever why they even have video reviews.  Two balls knocked out in almost identical situations that they upheld the original call on one for Nebraska then overturned the other in favor of them.  Yet on a breakaway play their player was holding our guy back by the jersey and despite the obvious foul (and CAM complaining) they just ignored it and let Nebraska have the ball.  They missed some against us and I don't necessarily believe either team got the majority of calls, but down the stretch it seemed the calls went to the home team by default.

Only time will tell, but Hunter clearly is looking more fluid and comfortable on the court.  The two he nailed were classic.  The one he missed was rushed.  It really feels like things are beginning to click for him.  If so, and the other guys stay healthy we could be a pretty tough team.

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

New rule...

Mods spell check all thread titles...

I could change the title, but I think I'm going to own it! Also, I wasn't trying to bash DG (we are going to need him) I was just happy that the TEAM won the game instead of DG heroics winning it.

Going to jump back in my time machine now and see if I can score a date with Christie Brinkley in her prime!

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

I got to watch the last 15 mins of the first half with Collin Hartman. Fun hearing his take. Good win. Justin Smith with a great game.  Good to see Hunter get a couple to fall. Huge for his mind.

What was his take? I know on the Hoosier hysterics podcast he was a huge supporter of CAM

we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation from here.  was tough watching when we got a big lead and then started shooting bad 3s and let them back in it.  great to get a road win though.  i have a bad feeling we went from complete despair, fire coach, etc., etc. to talking about the tournament after 1 win, that we'll be right back to despair when we start playing good teams from here.  don't expect more road wins and we're getting ready to play good teams at our place.  it was nice to see Hunter actually hit a couple 3s, but i still can't imagine talking about him being the answer to our 3 point shooting.  can't imagine that.  i don't even know who i would say i feel good about having in the game other than TJD, Brunk, and RP.  i guess Smith is next.  to be fair, he has done much better, but still makes some very selfish decisions.  i guess i'd like to see Franklin more.  here's to hoping Thurs goes much differently than i expect! 

12 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

People are just worried because even in some of our wins, we have had some pretty poor play.  That can bite you against better competition down the road...and with our remaining schedule we are down the road now.

^^^This is what I am saying... we lose one and everyone freaks out... we win 1 and everyone thinks all is fixed.  i'm still in the freaking out camp. :( 

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

Yet fans like me need sleep for pointing that and more , out ...

I personally think it was cowardly of you to make a snarky comment to me-and lack the testicles to acknowledge my reply!

Who in the he'll do you think you are chum?

Put my understanding of sports and the undercurrents of society - of which sport is a microcosm- to the test ANY day! I am as well versed as they come and I can hold my end discussing as much with anyone .Just don't expect people you don't otherwise reply to take too warmly to out of the blue whatever the hell that was you thought you would pull.

You could have asked for a clearer explanation which I could have admittedly done much better at in the day.The truth doesn't bother me.The context I don't.care for one bit though.I was originally making a fairly serious comment regarding a general subject that pisses me off because it is collective behavior issues out of any individuals hands to control, but rather a fanbase instead.

I just have enough respect in our situation to explain why! That's the least of things you could have done! 

And there you have it.... so you don't misconstrue where I'm coming from yet again.Otherwise take the coward way out of this and hit that ignore poster .Do us both favor... one way or the other but to this moment I think that was weak sauce - seeing here the confirmation you indeed know you were replied to by me, for that-  and chose to dance out after you got the party started.

Ah.... wtf are you talking about? lol

I never quoted you and you never quoted me.

I quoted a tweet.

lol 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

i love any conference win, but let's not forget that Nebraska is the 2nd worst team in the conference.  we're getting awful excited about that and suddenly thinking all of our problems are solved.  let's see what happens after the next loss.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i love any conference win, but let's not forget that Nebraska is the 2nd worst team in the conference.  we're getting awful excited about that and suddenly thinking all of our problems are solved.  let's see what happens after the next loss.

Understand but they also beat Purdue by 14 and Iowa as well at home. 2nd worst team for sure but given who Nebraska has beat I'll gladly take the road W.

Problems not solved but I mentioned in a few other threads. Starting to see some signs of things changing and it's difficult to describe what I'm seeing but it's maybe an edge or toughness developing. I don't know. We'll find out this week I guess....but final minutes vs Northwestern, spotting Rutgers 12 and battling back, double digit win vs Ohio St when we don't score a FG for 10 minutes and miss 16 Free Throws and last night win. 

I'm not saying problems solved at all and it's not beautiful to watch but seeing signs of a team coming together is all. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand but they also beat Purdue by 14 and Iowa as well at home. 2nd worst team for sure but given who Nebraska has beat I'll gladly take the road W.

Problems not solved but I mentioned in a few other threads. Starting to see some signs of things changing and it's difficult to describe what I'm seeing but it's maybe an edge or toughness developing. I don't know. We'll find out this week I guess....but final minutes vs Northwestern, spotting Rutgers 12 and battling back, double digit win vs Ohio St when we don't score a FG for 10 minutes and miss 16 Free Throws and last night win. 

I'm not saying problems solved at all and it's not beautiful to watch but seeing signs of a team coming together is all. 

fair enough.  i get that.  i'm just getting old and guarded.  i am often waaaaay to pessimistic, but i still don't have a good feeling as we enter the 2nd toughest schedule in the country.  i hope i am pleasantly surprised!

12 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

That was all Franklin...he makes freshman mistakes but more than makes up for them with his smart, fundamental play on both ends.  He makes two handed passes and puts the ball where it needs to be for shooters to shoot in rhythm.  Durham and Green make lazy, sloppy, one handed passes that arrive slow and late and the shooters usually have to reach back for them.  The offense is just so much more efficient and balanced with Al on the bench.  At the very least, Al and Green should never be on the floor together and Al should NEVER be the primary ball handler.

It looked to me that maybe for the first time, shooters were actually stepping into shots rather than shooting flat-footed.  Makes a huge difference. The  pass is very important but the shot prep is just as vital.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Problems not solved but I mentioned in a few other threads. Starting to see some signs of things changing and it's difficult to describe what I'm seeing but it's maybe an edge or toughness developing. I don't know.

From my point of view, I see things changing radically for the better when Rob, Armaan, Trace, Joey, and Hunter/Smith are playing. Except for Smith, these are Archie's guys. They're playing his brand of ball. We had the best offense and defense during the times that line up played together IMO.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we're witnessing the change from the Al Durham/Devonte Green influence, to the Archie Miller/Joey Brunk influence. Fast and loose vs tough and grinding, with accountability at the forefront...

Teams take on a character, and while a mid-season change isn't ideal, I like what I'm seeing.

Just now, IUFLA said:

I think we're witnessing the change from the Al Durham/Devonte Green influence, to the Archie Miller/Joey Brunk influence. Fast and loose vs tough and grinding, with accountability at the forefront...

Teams take on a character, and while a mid-season change isn't ideal, I like what I'm seeing.

I think accountability is the perfect word for the changes I'm seeing. 

Archived