Nebraska post game

Drroogh

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, madmax said:

Wow, never?! Surely this is hyperbole. 

Look neither one played particularly well on Saturday, but I’d be willing to bet that we are going to rely on both of these guys for some W’s the rest of the way. Devonte is streaky, but when he’s on there are few players that get as hot as he does. And he is one of our few players that can create his own shot. Al had a bad game, but he’s played well in plenty of games this season too. I just don’t understand this line of thinking. 

They both may contribute to wins, no doubt.  However, Green in particular is also a net negative too frequently.   The disruption caused by his inconsistency stings and may not be worth it.  The benefits are offset by the times he hurts you.  In the end, the discussion is moot because Archie will play them both.  Hopefully he will keep them on a short leash.  

I had predicted that Green was going to really put it together this season.  I’ve seen too many guys over the years who really took a step up their senior years, especially down the stretch, even if they’d been up and down for three years.  I thought it was as predictable as could be.  But, it seems like it’s been wishful thinking in this case.  

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They both may contribute to wins, no doubt.  However, Green in particular is also a net negative too frequently.   The disruption caused by his inconsistency stings and may not be worth it.  The benefits are offset by the times he hurts you.  In the end, the discussion is moot because Archie will play them both.  Hopefully he will keep them on a short leash.  

I had predicted that Green was going to really put it together this season.  I’ve seen too many guys over the years who really took a step up their senior years, especially down the stretch, even if they’d been up and down for three years.  I thought it was as predictable as could be.  But, it seems like it’s been wishful thinking in this case.  

I posted the stats in the Devonte Green thread, but he clearly has been playing to the level of competition.  The last two years, he has finished strong, as we were in the meat of the B1G schedule.  My hope is that he does it one more time.

As critical as I have been I’ve seen improvement in the toughness area.  To go along with that last night those guys were shooting those threes with confidence.  I’m not saying it’s fixed by any means but making threes really is contagious.  One guy gets confidence and it boosts the whole team.  Let’s hope it continues moving forward.

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Everything we do on message boards is water cooler talk. Why so almighty about discussing lineups?

That fan debate is as old as sports itself. Seems dumb, honestly, to be all holier than though on that, of all topics.

I'm not.  Literally said that. Like 100% said I wouldn't know more than them. 

But yeah the debate is dumb. But congrats on your articulated post lol

Honestly.  Nebraska is becoming a team.  Early in the year they had 9 guys transfer in, a handful of low ranked frosh and one returning player.  They are severely undersized but play like a team.  Noticed their net is 168 which puts our home win against them as a quad 4 and our away as a quad 3.  I see them winning at least 3 or 4 more which should put them under 150 when it's all said and done.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'm not.  Literally said that. Like 100% said I wouldn't know more than them. 

But yeah the debate is dumb. But congrats on your articulated post lol

Well, when you tell people that their discussion is dumb, you are kinda being belittling.

I mean face it, everything we discuss here is based on limited knowledge. But that is what fans on message boards do.

And thank you for the congratulations. Very kind of you.

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly.  Nebraska is becoming a team.  Early in the year they had 9 guys transfer in, a handful of low ranked frosh and one returning player.  They are severely undersized but play like a team.  Noticed their net is 168 which puts our home win against them as a quad 4 and our away as a quad 3.  I see them winning at least 3 or 4 more which should put them under 150 when it's all said and done.  

Hopefully they come together and get some good wins. Unless we face them in the Big Ten tourney their success can only help us now. 

Good win on the road. Still concerning that we had a scoring drought...can’t do that against the better teams in the league. Tough schedule coming up. Hope we can protect home court because I don’t see another road win in our future. Things do look to be improving and Arch seems to be shortening the bench which is a good thing it seems. On to the toughest part of the schedule 😬...

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why do some of you offer your opinion on who should and shouldn't play? Honestly. I'm just curious. 

You have zero background information needed to explain your reasoning(neither would I). Lol 

Idk I've never understood the need. 

Me neither.  Not to mention, the next game usually makes fools out of anyone trying to make statements about who should play and who shouldn't.  Wasn't long ago at all that several people labeled Rob Phinisee a disappointment.  I can't think of a single player on the roster who at some point (1) should be benched/transfer or (2) should play more/get most of the minutes.  They've all had their moments good and bad.  The smart thing for a coach to do is play the hot hand.

3 hours ago, IUfan93 said:

Good win on the road. Still concerning that we had a scoring drought...can’t do that against the better teams in the league. Tough schedule coming up. Hope we can protect home court because I don’t see another road win in our future. Things do look to be improving and Arch seems to be shortening the bench which is a good thing it seems. On to the toughest part of the schedule 😬...

I wonder if anyone has analyzed our "scoring droughts?"  I would like it broken down into missed shots(both good and bad), hurried shots, turnovers, and missed FT's.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

I wonder if anyone has analyzed our "scoring droughts?"  I would like it broken down into missed shots(both good and bad), hurried shots, turnovers, and missed FT's.  

yeah.  would be interesting to be able to pinpoint who is generally out of the game and who is generally in the game when we really go into funks.  also how quickly shots are going up (lack of ball movement), and how many 3 point shots we're putting up in that stretch.  without research, it seemed to me that we were up 19 and we had guys decide it was time to just go ahead and try to get their's, so they started throwing up quick 3s which is the opposite of what you want to do in that situation.  those bad 3s are often misses that lead to quick transition to the other end and our lead goes away very quickly.  that's just the way i see it.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  would be interesting to be able to pinpoint who is generally out of the game and who is generally in the game when we really go into funks.  also how quickly shots are going up (lack of ball movement), and how many 3 point shots we're putting up in that stretch.  without research, it seemed to me that we were up 19 and we had guys decide it was time to just go ahead and try to get their's, so they started throwing up quick 3s which is the opposite of what you want to do in that situation.  those bad 3s are often misses that lead to quick transition to the other end and our lead goes away very quickly.  that's just the way i see it.  

TBH, I need to start paying more attention when they happen.  I imagine it is a composition of everything.  But I am most curious about turnovers and missed FT's when the droughts happen.  Never thought about who was on the floor when they happened.  That is a good one NC.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

TBH, I need to start paying more attention when they happen.  I imagine it is a composition of everything.  But I am most curious about turnovers and missed FT's when the droughts happen.  Never thought about who was on the floor when they happened.  That is a good one NC.  

yeah.  my guess is that sometimes it's mostly bad lineup combos, but i think other times it is Green, Smith, and Durham taking quick, bad shots.  the bad combos are when we have TJD and/or Brunk out and have Thompson and Hunter or Anderson in with Franklin and there just isn't much offense on the floor.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  my guess is that sometimes it's mostly bad lineup combos, but i think other times it is Green, Smith, and Durham taking quick, bad shots.  the bad combos are when we have TJD and/or Brunk out and have Thompson and Hunter or Anderson in with Franklin and there just isn't much offense on the floor.  

I will start paying more attention on my end.  But substitutions when things are going good doesn't surprise me.  

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Me neither.  Not to mention, the next game usually makes fools out of anyone trying to make statements about who should play and who shouldn't.  Wasn't long ago at all that several people labeled Rob Phinisee a disappointment.  I can't think of a single player on the roster who at some point (1) should be benched/transfer or (2) should play more/get most of the minutes.  They've all had their moments good and bad.  The smart thing for a coach to do is play the hot hand.

Right. It just seems like such a waste of time. 

I know NOTHING about the stock market.... so I don't start conversations about the stock market 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. It just seems like such a waste of time. 

I know NOTHING about the stock market.... so I don't start conversations about the stock market 🤷‍♂️

So what should we discuss on here.  I think it is stupid to discuss whether the coach should be fired after every loss but it happens

Just now, IU Scott said:

So what should we discuss on here.  I think it is stupid to discuss whether the coach should be fired after every loss but it happens

Correct. I'm not saying don't discuss it.. just saying in my opinion it's dumb. 

Player A should play "35 mins" and Player B should play  "30 mins"... like how do you know? Lol.. you dont. Practice, foul trouble, body language, hot hand, etc. Sitting behind a keyboard to try and make these decisions is funny. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Watched the bulk of the second half again, what I saw was mostly the Nebraska defense. Not sure if it was situational based on their personnel but they were in zone when we were scoring and man when we weren’t! 

Archived