Nebraska post game

Drroogh

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  my guess is that sometimes it's mostly bad lineup combos, but i think other times it is Green, Smith, and Durham taking quick, bad shots.  the bad combos are when we have TJD and/or Brunk out and have Thompson and Hunter or Anderson in with Franklin and there just isn't much offense on the floor.  

Franklin and Hunter were a key part of the run from down 9 to going up, both were on the floor. Then not when we gave up points in the second. And Nebraska switched from zone to man. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. It just seems like such a waste of time. 

I know NOTHING about the stock market.... so I don't start conversations about the stock market 🤷‍♂️

60 minutes had an episode once where they had 3 monkeys picks stocks -- no really -- by swatting at stocks on a board, and compared them over a period of time to professional stock brokers. The monkeys won.

Time to shut down the forum guys and gals.  It has been decided.  Talking about things on an internet forum is stupid.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  We just realized that what we say on here doesn't mean anything and is a complete waste of time.  Thank god we now know that talking about who should play, who should be coach, or anything else is a complete waste of time and doesn't equate to anything.  To think, all this time, i thought what we said here mattered and that CAM would come here, look at what we say, then take that back to the boys.  I am crushed beyond belief that its not what really happens.  What shall i do with all my time knowing that what we post here means nothing.  My life has no meaning. I will be adrift in life without anchor thinking my opinion on HSN isn't changing the fabric of IU basketball.

THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Time to shut down the forum guys and gals.  It has been decided.  Talking about things on an internet forum is stupid.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  We just realized that what we say on here doesn't mean anything and is a complete waste of time.  Thank god we now know that talking about who should play, who should be coach, or anything else is a complete waste of time and doesn't equate to anything.  To think, all this time, i thought what we said here mattered and that CAM would come here, look at what we say, then take that back to the boys.  I am crushed beyond belief that its not what really happens.  What shall i do with all my time knowing that what we post here means nothing.  My life has no meaning. I will be adrift in life without anchor thinking my opinion on HSN isn't changing the fabric of IU basketball.

THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!

LOL..I suppose you can get that Disney+ subscription..maybe watch some chess tournaments on ESPN8 (The Ocho)..or change to IowaBoilerFan..ugh, nothing could be that bad.

I know this is not going to go over very well, but here it goes anyways.

I find it funny how reading thru these forums that pretty much everybody has turned against one player. Now I'm seeing another player being thrown around that shouldnt be playing or should get limited minutes. I'm wondering since these players are not worthy of playing time or for that matter shouldnt be on the team, does anyone even know what our record would be with out those 2 or even just 1 of them on the team, and what they have contributed throughout the year.  I know, I know "but somebody else would have stepped up and contributed" who though?  I think its fine being critical of the team, coach and players, but to single out 1 or 2 and not criticize the others when they make bad choices on the court. There are only 3 players that take the heat on here no matter the outcome, win or lose. We all know why too,  they are "Crean guys".  

I dont see anyone complaining about Robs 4 turnovers to 4 assists and 4 fouls, or Trayce getting beat on defense numerous times in the second half. Yes Jerome finally shot the ball decent and looked more comfortable but he kept getting beat on defense. I could go thru every player and find something they did wrong, but what good does that do? All I see on here win or lose is what 1 or 2 players did wrong or should being doing better but not much is said about anyone else. I encourage anybody on here to go thru all the games and remove any of those players stats and see the win, loss record. I already did and I didnt like the record nor do I think anybody on here would.  For the fun of it I removed all the "Crean guys" from the games as well since those always seem to be the ones causing all the problems.  

That is all I'm done with my rant

5 minutes ago, HMSHoosier said:

I find it funny how reading thru these forums that pretty much everybody has turned against one player. Now I'm seeing another player being thrown around that shouldnt be playing or should get limited minutes. I'm wondering since these players are not worthy of playing time or for that matter shouldnt be on the team, does anyone even know what our record would be with out those 2 or even just 1 of them on the team, and what they have contributed throughout the year.  I know, I know "but somebody else would have stepped up and contributed" who though?  I think its fine being critical of the team, coach and players, but to single out 1 or 2 and not criticize the others when they make bad choices on the court. There are only 3 players that take the heat on here no matter the outcome, win or lose. We all know why too,  they are "Crean guys".  

I dont see anyone complaining about Robs 4 turnovers to 4 assists and 4 fouls, or Trayce getting beat on defense numerous times in the second half. Yes Jerome finally shot the ball decent and looked more comfortable but he kept getting beat on defense. I could go thru every player and find something they did wrong, but what good does that do? All I see on here win or lose is what 1 or 2 players did wrong or should being doing better but not much is said about anyone else. I encourage anybody on here to go thru all the games and remove any of those players stats and see the win, loss record. I already did and I didnt like the record nor do I think anybody on here would.  For the fun of it I removed all the "Crean guys" from the games as well since those always seem to be the ones causing all the problems.  

Sorry, but my frustration with Devonte and some of the other Crean guys isn't because they're Crean guys, it's because they are upperclassmen that should be leaders both on and off the court, and they simply aren't doing that, at least on the court. One of Archie's top priorities is to get older, and it really doesn't give you an advantage if you get older and those guys keep making the same mistakes they did in year one. I mean, if you think about it, this team is really just a consistent, solid, under control Devonte Green away from being a top 25 team. What have we been talking about all year that we are lacking? Consistent outside shooting, and if you have a senior out there knocking down shots, it changes a lot of things.  I don't like laying it all at one guy's feet, and maybe he's just not the type of guy who can do that, but that's the reality of the situation with how much parity there is in the game this year, especially in our conference.

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Sorry, but my frustration with Devonte and some of the other Crean guys isn't because they're Crean guys, it's because they are upperclassmen that should be leaders both on and off the court, and they simply aren't doing that, at least on the court. One of Archie's top priorities is to get older, and it really doesn't give you an advantage if you get older and those guys keep making the same mistakes they did in year one. I mean, if you think about it, this team is really just a consistent, solid, under control Devonte Green away from being a top 25 team. What have we been talking about all year that we are lacking? Consistent outside shooting, and if you have a senior out there knocking down shots, it changes a lot of things.  I don't like laying it all at one guy's feet, and maybe he's just not the type of guy who can do that, but that's the reality of the situation with how much parity there is in the game this year, especially in our conference.

In fairness Green has been shooting well, generally. Even with his off games he's shooting 37% from the arc.

And, when you run an offense with 3 bigs none of whom can shoot outside and who have generally limited mobility you will have less space to work with and your outside shooting will suffer. It's just not as easy as saying guys aren't hitting shots.

His points are fair, in any event. Each of the guys who get criticized heavily have had strong games that have helped us win those. Yes, everyone would like better consistency, but sometimes it's just people calling out players, when there's a lot more going on.

BTW, Al is shooting 35%, Smith -- on the perimeter -- is shooting 25%, Brunk and TJD are both 0% from outside -- they don't even shoot them. 

I've said it before, in 50/50 games Devonte is the difference between a win and a loss.  If he continues to get 20-25 minutes, his play will decide several of our upcoming games.  Maybe CAM has decided to play him less regardless of how he is playing in a particular game, I have no idea.  I've praised Devonte for good play and ripped him for poor play pretty equally.  Hes a senior captain, comes with the territory. 

57 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In fairness Green has been shooting well, generally. Even with his off games he's shooting 37% from the arc.

And, when you run an offense with 3 bigs none of whom can shoot outside and who have generally limited mobility you will have less space to work with and your outside shooting will suffer. It's just not as easy as saying guys aren't hitting shots.

His points are fair, in any event. Each of the guys who get criticized heavily have had strong games that have helped us win those. Yes, everyone would like better consistency, but sometimes it's just people calling out players, when there's a lot more going on.

BTW, Al is shooting 35%, Smith -- on the perimeter -- is shooting 25%, Brunk and TJD are both 0% from outside -- they don't even shoot them. 

He's not shooting well since the FSU game, when he went off - he's at 29% from 3 since then. Point taken on the offense being run, but I think the issue is more with his own shot selection than anything else. Sure, he gets stuck having to toss up a 3 at the end of the shot clock once a half or so, but he also takes ill advised shots on a regular basis, too. I"m not sure what point you're making with respect to the shooting percentage of the bigs? 

I'm just saying I think we're past the point of relying or expecting anything from DG. As another poster noted, you put him out there on a short leash and see what happens, but I'd much rather see Franklin or Jerome or even Damezi making those same mistakes, because I'm pretty sure it'll help them grow into better players. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

60 minutes had an episode once where they had 3 monkeys picks stocks -- no really -- by swatting at stocks on a board, and compared them over a period of time to professional stock brokers. The monkeys won.

I wondered why CBS cameras were at my office that one day.....

22 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

He's not shooting well since the FSU game, when he went off - he's at 29% from 3 since then. Point taken on the offense being run, but I think the issue is more with his own shot selection than anything else. Sure, he gets stuck having to toss up a 3 at the end of the shot clock once a half or so, but he also takes ill advised shots on a regular basis, too. I"m not sure what point you're making with respect to the shooting percentage of the bigs? 

I'm just saying I think we're past the point of relying or expecting anything from DG. As another poster noted, you put him out there on a short leash and see what happens, but I'd much rather see Franklin or Jerome or even Damezi making those same mistakes, because I'm pretty sure it'll help them grow into better players. 

Gleas and I have covered the point on the bigs on about a million occasions now, lol. We need spacing on the wing -- Since Justin is NOT a wing, he is not a shooting, playmaking wing who can help spread the floor, the floor is not spread with that 3-big lineup at all, making outside shooting and driving in general more difficult. Rob being healthy -- when he is -- helps as he sees the floor well and moves the ball and to good spots, but it's still bogged down, on both ends, and you can just watch our scoring droughts to see it in action. If TJD or Brunk could step out at times that also would help, but, clearly, they can't. 

Green is frustrating for sure, but he's a very good shooter. His percentages going down don't change that. We need a healthy and aggressive Rob out there, and we need to make use of the wing, whether it's Hunter, or adding in Franklin, or Al, etc., for spacing. And it's really clear now, I think, that CAM is holding Green accountable, he is pulling him and sitting him when he doesn't like the way he's playing.

Agree with you that Hunter, Franklin, and Demez should see more time. The more they play the more they gel and get comfortable. Hard part is that because CAM didn't play Hunter and Demez much early, they didn't get comfortable, and are still getting into their flow. With Franklin, he's a frosh and makes frosh mistakes -- I really like his upside, though.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Gleas and I have covered the point on the bigs on about a million occasions now, lol. We need spacing on the wing -- Since Justin is NOT a wing, he is not a shooting, playmaking wing who can help spread the floor, the floor is not spread with that 3-big lineup at all, making outside shooting and driving in general more difficult. Rob being healthy -- when he is -- helps as he sees the floor well and moves the ball and to good spots, but it's still bogged down, on both ends, and you can just watch our scoring droughts to see it in action. If TJD or Brunk could step out at times that also would help, but, clearly, they can't. 

Green is frustrating for sure, but he's a very good shooter. His percentages going down don't change that. We need a healthy and aggressive Rob out there, and we need to make use of the wing, whether it's Hunter, or adding in Franklin, or Al, etc., for spacing. And it's really clear now, I think, that CAM is holding Green accountable, he is pulling him and sitting him when he doesn't like the way he's playing.

I just finished watching the game for the first time. I agree with most of the assessments that are written in this post and elsewhere. Teams choose to sag on all three of our bigs (including Justin) which means no cutting, no driving, and very difficult post entries. 

I did not think Green played that badly other than about a two minute stretch in the first half where he was caught up in a back and forth with Mack and missed three quick shots and had a pretty bad turnover. 

In terms of our scoring drought, we missed a lot of really open shots. I think you could say one or two of them were the wrong person shooting the wrong shot, but otherwise we had wide open looks from pretty good shooters and also we rushed some looks around the rim and of course missed free throws (basically Brunk)...

There were four turnovers in that stretch. Hunter stepped out of bounds on a drive that looked like it could turn out positively. Franklin traveled on a shot fake and drive that had potential, Phinisee had a live ball turnover that was a bit of a forced pass, and Franklin lost it on the fast break (should have been a foul right after his steal)....

Mostly, we just missed...Make one or two and make two more free throws and it looks like we dominated the entire half.

defensively we were just caught in mismatches trying to guard dribble drive offense with TJD and Brunk way out on the floor (along with a few closeouts with poor footwork from others)

I mostly point out the defensive mismatches because we don't always recognize and take advantage of the offensive mismatches. Case in point...There was a possession where TJD had Easley on him. we were running an action designed to get TJD the ball in the post... but because we slavishly ran that action it gave Nebraska time to switch to a more favorable matchup...a more savvy veteran team would have brought the ball to the side and given it to TJD to go against Easley with no action needed....

3 hours ago, HMSHoosier said:

I've said it more than once...I'm not a fan of singling players out for criticism, especially when it becomes an absolute dogpile.  Sad thing is, as bad as we see it here, it's 10X worse on other forms of social media.  Facebook and Twitter are absolute cesspools and I often find myself wondering how often it's really a Purdue or UK fan masquerading as an IU fan...it's that bad.  It's bad enough that Kent Sterling (who can himself be pretty critical at times) wrote an article specifically asking fans to lay off and not make Devonte's last two months of college ball miserable.  I'd say the same thing for De'Ron.  These kids want to win and they are probably their own worst enemy when things don't go right.  Then there's teh coaching staff which "lit the team up like a Christmas tree" in the locker room after the Northwestern game.

These kids hear enough.  I wish they's all just take a break from social media when they are playing, but I understand the desire to see people saying nice things about you when things are going well.  It's just so brutal and turns so quickly when things go south for a player.

It's frustrating to me as well...I absolutely hear what you are saying and agree with the gist of it.  Don't worry about it not going over well.  We all have a voice and all have our opinions.  You're not alone in wishing that some of the more negative opinions would never be posted for the world to read.

1 hour ago, mchenry34 said:

There were four turnovers in that stretch. Hunter stepped out of bounds on a drive that looked like it could turn out positively. Franklin traveled on a shot fake and drive that had potential, Phinisee had a live ball turnover that was a bit of a forced pass, and Franklin lost it on the fast break (should have been a foul right after his steal)....

That 🐴💩  where the kid was allowed to grab Armaan's jersey and cause him to stumble and lose the ball just about sent Archie into orbit.  I was right there with him.  Didn't track how the bad calls went but it sure seemed like IU got homered.

and i get what people are saying about needing to hit 3s to open the inside up, but it doesn't help if guys who shoot 20% from 3 just shoot more.  that's not gonna make defenses get out and guard them.  i don't see signs from Anderson that give me hope.  i get that Hunter might get there, but still not wanting to see him as a 3 point shooter.  he has good size for a wing.  if he can get to the basket, great.  still think people are just searching for positives from him though.  yeah, he hit 2 threes last game.  that is huge compared to what we've seen, but still a long way to go.  

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

That 🐴💩  where the kid was allowed to grab Armaan's jersey and cause him to stumble and lose the ball just about sent Archie into orbit.  I was right there with him.  Didn't track how the bad calls went but it sure seemed like IU got homered.

Yeah, there were some weird moments as far as calls. None of them particularly impactful except to momentum. They were extremely inconsistent on what they called as far as hand checking...Mack carries and uses his off arm illegally on every drive but they only called one carry in the game and called it on Green...seemed like they were trying to prove a point to Archie on that one...

The Delay of game warning on TJD was oddly spiteful considering something like it happens on nearly every basket of the game...

The one call I thought we benefitted from was when they called Easley for reaching on one of Brunk's offensive rebounds but it seemed like Brunk was just kind of out of control and plowing through people....

On 1/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, JugRox said:

Ah.... wtf are you talking about? lol

I never quoted you and you never quoted me.

I quoted a tweet.

lol 

Well, looky here!!!!

A 4 line response Wooooot!!!!

It EVEN looked like a reply to what I actually said this time ....unlike the Maryland post game thread!!   XD 

You are SUCH a fast learner!

Here .Have yourself a partiticpation 🏆 Lol.

6 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Well, looky here!!!!

A 4 line response Wooooot!!!!

It EVEN looked like a reply to what I actually said this time ....unlike the Maryland post game thread!!   XD 

You are SUCH a fast learner!

Here .Have yourself a partiticpation 🏆 Lol.

Are you 12 years old?

Seriously kid, you are getting worked up and stalking me over "Time for bed" in a thread 2 weeks ago?

I did have thoughts on this game.Just tying up a little loose end.

Apologies to the rest of the board who has had to read me tear into sone a** .That was general principle .If you don't know someone and don't wish to read or respond to what they are actually saying then keep on moving past me or.....yeah

Sorry though HSN.

As for IU's win at NE:

Despite being frustrated with seeing another lead evaporate , the most important thing was avoiding the L..

Even if the Huskers have been bad , road wins there in Lincoln  are few enough and far enough in between for IU that I'm happy for them.IU needs the confidence in any amount not to mention keeping pace with the pack.

25 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Are you 12 years old?

Seriously kid, you are getting worked up and stalking me over "Time for bed" in a thread 2 weeks ago?

I can only reply when I happen to be online like anyone else here.

I don't care what little timeframes you think responses should fall between either. 

The ultimate forms of disrespect are to either not acknowledge another person's thoughts, or entirely dismiss them in a response.You did both-in one post-  to a total stranger in this BRIEF duration..Temper your own expectations, perhaps.

Also ironic you choose the word kid here too,  isn't it. 😆 That was pretty much what I was implying about that post to begin with.

26 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I can only reply when I happen to be online like anyone else here.

I don't care what little timeframes you think responses should fall between either. 

The ultimate forms of disrespect are to either not acknowledge another person's thoughts, or entirely dismiss them in a response.You did both-in one post-  to a total stranger in this BRIEF duration..Temper your own expectations, perhaps.

Also ironic you choose the word kid here too,  isn't it. 😆 That was pretty much what I was implying about that post to begin with.

Time for bed dude.....

Archived