Indiana University vs Michigan State Pre-Game Thread

16 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Jemele Hill was sent packing because she is batsh!t crazy and was a drain on viewership.  If she had any talent, she'd still be on TV somewhere.

Not a fan of her.....but I'd suggest looking up who the only reporters were that actually had the sack to question Dantonio and Izzo. She's one of them. Rapes, police influence, corruption within a program or programs that is still happening. Guess we'll disagree a bit. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blah, Blah, Blah as I seen this State team play & all I could say is “Damn, they broke worse than IU when comes to scoring”!  What’s changed in their lineup since that has them atop of the B10 standings?  Langford’s not back so what is it?  We stop Cassius Clay or hope he stops himself and I see no contest, especially at home and don’t forget MSU is a top 15 team which means Mr Green just may contribute!  Regardless, it’s a home game vs a team that is not such a bully these days so a must win if we want to dream of the field of 64!  Seeking 6 doesn’t happen with another loss at home fellas!

12 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Blah, Blah, Blah as I seen this State team play & all I could say is “Damn, they broke worse than IU when comes to scoring”!  What’s changed in their lineup since that has them atop of the B10 standings?  Langford’s not back so what is it?  We stop Cassius Clay or hope he stops himself and I see no contest, especially at home and don’t forget MSU is a top 15 team which means Mr Green just may contribute!  Regardless, it’s a home game vs a team that is not such a bully these days so a must win if we want to dream of the field of 64!  Seeking 6 doesn’t happen with another loss at home fellas!

Say what?

B541389B-29A8-4329-A867-7B813FCC3D81.jpeg.903d811139d67d4e30d91cf6e5996c1d.jpeg

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think from here on out we just need to protect home court. If we lose one at home we need to take another one on the road. 

i think you're probably right and if we beat MSU, MD, Purdue, Iowa, Penn St., MN, and Wisc all at home, i'll be very pleasantly surprised and would think we'd have a good shot at the Big Dance.  

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think you're probably right and if we beat MSU, MD, Purdue, Iowa, Penn St., MN, and Wisc all at home, i'll be very pleasantly surprised and would think we'd have a good shot at the Big Dance.  

Uh yeah... that might, and I’m going out on a limb here, just might get us in 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

If we won all those games we would have 21 wins with SEVERAL good wins...we would be like a 5 seed....

I'm pretty confident we would get in with just five more wins...9-11 in this years BIG with no bad losses. We would be in. We were one of the last teams out last year. We tip in the game winner at Arkansas or hit free throws at Iowa or box out better against Purdue at home, or get one more stop against OSU at home, or finish the comeback at Northwestern with Justin Smith finishing that baseline out of bounds lob...any one of those, and we are in last years tournament

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

If we won all those games we would have 21 wins with SEVERAL good wins...we would be like a 5 seed....

I'm pretty confident we would get in with just five more wins...9-11 in this years BIG with no bad losses. We would be in. We were one of the last teams out last year. We tip in the game winner at Arkansas or hit free throws at Iowa or box out better against Purdue at home, or get one more stop against OSU at home, or finish the comeback at Northwestern with Justin Smith finishing that baseline out of bounds lob...any one of those, and we are in last years tournament

IMHO. Unless we get totally blown out of a game. And I believe we will be losing some games. I just don't see a BAD loss, the rest of the way.

Right, and I should have clarified. I think we can do less and get in, but would think that guarantees it. And as others have said, it could get us a decent seed 5-7 as well. Lose a couple at home without taking a couple back puts us at .500 or one below in the league, which prob gets us in, but I think our seeding could be 2-3 spots lower as a result and a likely first round exit.

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

After the Arkansas loss I think we need 10 wins in conference to feel safe.  9-11 might do it but no guarantee.

It's funny how soft the bubble is this year and how competitive the B1G is and people are saying iu might squeak in at 10-10 and would feel safe at 11-9.  

Sure finishing 5-8 (19-12 with 9-11)wouldnt taste good and would put everyone on edge wanting/needing a game in the B1G but there will most likely be 10-12 B1G teams in the tourney.  A few teams with ugly conference records are dancing. 

Without looking through each teams schedule you can say only 2 teams don't have a chance, northwestern and Nebraska.  

We win all of those, we are in...no shot about it.

41 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's funny how soft the bubble is this year and how competitive the B1G is and people are saying iu might squeak in at 10-10 and would feel safe at 11-9.  

Sure finishing 5-8 (19-12 with 9-11)wouldnt taste good and would put everyone on edge wanting/needing a game in the B1G but there will most likely be 10-12 B1G teams in the tourney.  A few teams with ugly conference records are dancing. 

Without looking through each teams schedule you can say only 2 teams don't have a chance, northwestern and Nebraska.  

There will never be 10-12 BIG teams in the tourney regardless of how strong the conference is. The BIG sent 8 teams to the tourney last year and that was a record. Indiana needs to finish in the top half of the conference. 

18 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There will never be 10-12 BIG teams in the tourney regardless of how strong the conference is. The BIG sent 8 teams to the tourney last year and that was a record. Indiana needs to finish in the top half of the conference. 

I don't have the time and things are too early to put serious thought and guess work into remaining schedules.  Not to mention as crazy as this year is I could see north Carolina getting Anthony back and winning their tourney.  So many scenarios at play here.  Many many talking heads have been calling 10-12 but a lot can happen.  

Bracket matrix currently has 12.  It will be hard to see a B1G team with 15 loses getting in.  We only have 9 years of history with this 68 team field and so far this is a historic crazy season.  7 #1s ties record.  14 top 10s beaten by unranked teams.  All of last year was 4.  Most ever upsets of 25 point dogs winning.  Still 6 weeks to play.  

40 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't have the time and things are too early to put serious thought and guess work into remaining schedules.  Not to mention as crazy as this year is I could see north Carolina getting Anthony back and winning their tourney.  So many scenarios at play here.  Many many talking heads have been calling 10-12 but a lot can happen.  

Bracket matrix currently has 12.  It will be hard to see a B1G team with 15 loses getting in.  We only have 9 years of history with this 68 team field and so far this is a historic crazy season.  7 #1s ties record.  14 top 10s beaten by unranked teams.  All of last year was 4.  Most ever upsets of 25 point dogs winning.  Still 6 weeks to play.  

This is definitely one of the crazier seasons in recent memory but I think the talking heads (especially the BIG analysts) get out ahead of themselves pretty much every year. There always seems to be talk of 10+ BIG teams making it to the tourney but obviously it's never happened. A couple other conferences would really have to tank for the BIG to take 10+ spots. The PAC 12 was very weak last year which is probably how the BIG ended up with a record 8 teams.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There will be 10+ teams that make it this year, I'm almost positive of it.  The conference is not top heavy at all.  Losses will continue to be spread around which means wins will as well.  Our top seed may be something like a 3 or 4 seed instead of a typical 1 or 2 seed.  There will be many Big 10 teams in the 7-11 seed range.  Its the perfect year to have a record number of teams in the tourney. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is definitely one of the crazier seasons in recent memory but I think the talking heads (especially the BIG analysts) get out ahead of themselves pretty much every year. There always seems to be talk of 10+ BIG teams making it to the tourney but obviously it's never happened. A couple other conferences would really have to tank for the BIG to take 10+ spots. The PAC 12 was very weak last year which is probably how the BIG ended up with a record 8 teams.

I totally agree about that tendency shown by conference media, but I think when these teams actually get ranked as Illinois and Rutgers now have it sends a bit stronger message to the committee of top to bottom solidity..  

With there still being so much time left for teams to rise and collapse before league play concludes -  again :   Like you I'll believe it when I see it, but I do give it a better chance than maybe in the past - due to the circumstances I just mentioned. Teams like Michigan and Ohio State have a lot less perception to salvage coming off disappointing starts - than Illinois or Rutgers would have had. If it were the Scarlet Knights or Illini needing  multiple wins to get back on track I would say no way for 10 teams yet again . 

If the current patterns prevail it would still likely take teams from other conferences having extended spells of misfortune. Good thoughts again on your part .And agreed again 

Curious and interested to see how it plays out!I certainly  don't recall ever intentionally watching an entire Rutgers game that did not involve Indiana until 2020. What is this world coming to XD  LOL 

A healthy Rob really frustrates Winston for this reason.  Winston is not a blow by point guard.  Rob can keep him in front and not be over bodied by him when Winston sorts of backs guys into the spot he wants them.  We will also need to bring our A game help side.  Brunk does not need to be hard over hedging to the point of out of position like he has seemed to do over and over and just recently did once or twice in the last game.  

Conf record has no bearing of a tournament selection & the magic formula has always been 20 wins overall as a min.  Last couple yrs we came up just short of 20 & sure enough, no selection.  Looking at the schedule, we have some really tough home games which means we must steal one or two on the road or grab a win or two in the conf tourney to get to the magical # of 20 wins!  

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Conf record has no bearing of a tournament selection & the magic formula has always been 20 wins overall as a min.  Last couple yrs we came up just short of 20 & sure enough, no selection.  Looking at the schedule, we have some really tough home games which means we must steal one or two on the road or grab a win or two in the conf tourney to get to the magical # of 20 wins!  

Agree. 20 is the magic number.

Archived