Indiana University vs Michigan State Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Not sure how the game will go but I do know Izzo eats food off the ground. 

Without derailing. I wish Izzo was next to me and family last weekend. We do a Sunday brunch buffet about 2-3x per year. The group next to me is probably the reason why. Tons of food, crumbs, meat, breads,etc.....all over the floor during their demolition. I took a giant step over their area to highlight the volume of food on the floor. I digress.

Regarding Sparty game. Izzo knows Rob is our best on ball defender. He'll be asking officials early and often to watch body contact with him/Winston. I never like to protect players because I want them to be smart enough to handle their business....but if Rob gets a quick one I want him switched off Winston. He's that valuable to our machine.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Without derailing. I wish Izzo was next to me and family last weekend. We do a Sunday brunch buffet about 2-3x per year. The group next to me is probably the reason why. Tons of food, crumbs, meat, breads,etc.....all over the floor during their demolition. I took a giant step over their area to highlight the volume of food on the floor. I digress.

Regarding Sparty game. Izzo knows Rob is our best on ball defender. He'll be asking officials early and often to watch body contact with him/Winston. I never like to protect players because I want them to be smart enough to handle their business....but if Rob gets a quick one I want him switched off Winston. He's that valuable to our machine.

Rob's defense on Winston will determine this game.  An early cheap foul and the chances decrease.  

Winston is not a blow by guy.   Al will need to guard him some but honestly I may trust Armaan more from an bbiq perspective.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Rob's defense on Winston will determine this game.  An early cheap foul and the chances decrease.  

Winston is not a blow by guy.   Al will need to guard him some but honestly I may trust Armaan more from an bbiq perspective.  

Yep...and really agree with Franklin guarding him. Mentioned in Nebraska post game thread but I think Archie has something like this up his sleeve. Constantly switching guys up on Winston so a savvy vet like him can't anticipate tendencies with same dude on him all game long. 

On 1/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, NotIThatLives said:

A healthy Rob really frustrates Winston for this reason.  Winston is not a blow by point guard.  Rob can keep him in front and not be over bodied by him when Winston sorts of backs guys into the spot he wants them.  We will also need to bring our A game help side.  Brunk does not need to be hard over hedging to the point of out of position like he has seemed to do over and over and just recently did once or twice in the last game.  

I agree. Last year, Winston went for 26 and 20 in their two games against us. Of course, we all remember the final defensive possession in the game in Bloomington when Rob bodied-up Winston, but he's gonna need to do that the whole game...

And I think Justin and Trayce will be important pieces in the help scheme this year...Justin had a big block on Winston at the end of the game in East Lansing...hope Cassius remembers that every time he goes to the hoop...

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At first I did not think we would win tonight but now I think we will win

IU 75

MSU 72

Usually I have no trouble making a prediction but I’m torn about tonight.  I’m confident that MSU will come out guns blazing and have one of their best games all season.  But we’re at home and AH should be rocking.  It all depends on which IU team shows up.  I think we should win tonight.

One thing that I will be keeping an eye on tonight is Winston's turnovers.  I do believe that he is averaging about 4 a game per 40 minutes.  But much like Simpson of Michigan he gets "careless" with the ball.  When he turns it over a lot Sparty struggles.  I think he had 10 TO's against the Boikers.  Not THE key to the game, but something worth watching.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree. Last year, Winston went for 26 and 20 in their two games against us. Of course, we all remember the final defensive possession in the game in Bloomington when Rob bodied-up Winston, but he's gonna need to do that the whole game...

And I think Justin and Trayce will be important pieces in the help scheme this year...Justin had a big block on Winston at the end of the game in East Lansing...hope Cassius remembers that every time he goes to the hoop...

Dang.  I didn't realize he scored so much.  We must have romanticized Rob's defense on him based on one play.  

2 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I cannot wait for this game tonight... I want us to hand it to Izzo so badly!

Now that Bo Ryan is gone I loathe Izzo the most of any coach.  There is no chance he's clean (we Indiana  people know the back stories on Randolph for example) but moans and groans about integrity.  Gets on the refs all the time then cries when he loses because of a bad call.  Covers for rapist.  He's just a sham.  I never said the man can't coach and I have always loved their toughness.  

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Nice to see the quotes from Devonte in there...

I think he's going to be ultra-important spelling Rob in guarding Winston tonight. Devonte's strong and quick enough to compete with him...just need him dialed in...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

At first I did not think we would win tonight but now I think we will win

IU 75

MSU 72

Scott, don't you work with Aaron Henry's dad? On POTB yesterday Dylan Burkardt was saying that Aaron takes the grunt of the criticism from MSU fans - kinda like how Devonte does for us. Just curious if he's mentioned anything about that. I'd think that'd be an interesting perspective. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Scott, don't you work with Aaron Henry's dad? On POTB yesterday Dylan Burkardt was saying that Aaron takes the grunt of the criticism from MSU fans - kinda like how Devonte does for us. Just curious if he's mentioned anything about that. I'd think that'd be an interesting perspective. 

He has not said anything about fans criticizing him but has talked about how Izzo rides him pretty good.  His dad had no problem with how Izzo showed him up in the tournament last year and thinks he gets the best out of Aaron.

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

One thing Aaron's dad did talk about before the season was that he thought this would be Aaron's last year at MSU and would turn pro.  He has criticized Izzo a little bit on how they were using Aaron but not so much lately.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Nice to see the quotes from Devonte in there...

I think he's going to be ultra-important spelling Rob in guarding Winston tonight. Devonte's strong and quick enough to compete with him...just need him dialed in...

Something I noticed with Devonte against Nebraska -- when something goes wrong he tries to make up for it -- and often compounds it.  Of course things are going to go wrong at times against Winston.  He just needs to stay composed.

Austin Render posted these shooting stats on Twitter:

Devonte Green at Assembly Hall: 21/49 (43%) from 3 Devonte Green away from home: 7/27 (26%) from 3

Archived