Indiana University vs Michigan State Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key will be transition defense and rebounding. MSU can hit some shots but don't shoot it much better than we do and in the half court don't generate as open looks as they have in past years. 

The lineup that MSU usually plays with will be helpful to our desire to play a bit bigger. 
Brunk on Tillman (unless he is hurting us from the outside)
TJD on whoever MSU is using at the four
Smith on Aaron Henry (pretty interesting matchup of fairly similar players)
Phinisee on Winston
our two guard on their two guard (this matchup may make a big difference in a 50/50 game if we are playing well and the game is winnable)

I wish we were willing to switch up our ball screen coverages and used them as an opportunity to force someone else to make plays for MSU. Blitz the ball screen and make Henry or Tillman a play maker...

I know Purdue is our rival...and for some probably Kentucky but nothing gives me for fandom pleasure than beating Izzo. Decades of whining, sweeping garbage under the rug.....repeated scandals.  I'm still waiting for his comments on the biggest sex/pedophile scandal to hit amateur sports on his campus....yet after 20+ years he knew nothing?

I know, I know, I know....Izzo is so good for college hoops. My question is why? Tons of smoke there. Only difference is he got in good with the media years ago. Same with Bobby Bowden way back when. Media takes it easy on you if they like you. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know Purdue is our rival...and for some probably Kentucky but nothing gives me for fandom pleasure than beating Izzo. Decades of whining, sweeping garbage under the rug.....repeated scandals.  I'm still waiting for his comments on the biggest sex/pedophile scandal to hit amateur sports on his campus....yet after 20+ years he knew nothing?

I know, I know, I know....Izzo is so good for college hoops. My question is why? Tons of smoke there. Only difference is he got in good with the media years ago. Same with Bobby Bowden way back when. Media takes it easy on you if they like you. 

funny.  i actually like Izzo.  i respect him and think he's a great coach.  living in the South for 20 + years has me cheering for any B1G team other than Purdouche.  all you hear about here is ACC bball and SEC football.   

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

funny.  i actually like Izzo.  i respect him and think he's a great coach.  living in the South for 20 + years has me cheering for any B1G team other than Purdouche.  all you hear about here is ACC bball and SEC football.   

Understand and maybe I'll just say when on the court I think he's very good at what he does. Some of the other stuff I'm curious why he's always received a pass. 

MEMORIES.   Oh they felt so good.

2-2.19

Justin

2.2.19 Justin Smith Highlights vs. Michigan State 

And De'Ron

2.2.19 De'Ron Davis Highlights vs. Michigan State

Had a day.

And then a month later, Coach Izzo.  Can't believe losing to IU twice in one season.

3.2.19 Tom Izzo laments Michigan State’s loss to Indiana 

MEMORIES.

Here's to the ones we got from you

Cheers that you are back again

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Man I hate Izzo so much!! Biggest cry baby in the league! 

I understand he has history of his players getting to the league but I don’t understand at all why in the world anyone would ever want to go play for him. It really also bugs me that Dane Fife is an assistant for him and not at IU where he belongs!

20 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I understand he has history of his players getting to the league but I don’t understand at all why in the world anyone would ever want to go play for him. It really also bugs me that Dane Fife is an assistant for him and not at IU where he belongs!

All I can say is go to a practice and you would understand. 

42 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Further elaborate?

Lots of passion and care. The guys work hard and they know he cares. I don't like all the whining etc... that we see on TV but there is no doubt how much he cares about his guys and in return how.much they care about him. Not excusing the outside stuff thats for a different day but being around Izzo and staff for a few days I can see why guys want to play for him. 

About 15 or so years ago I asked Coach Izzo for some OB help against a zone. He sent me their whole playbook. Several DVD'S and lots of extras and invited me to come to practice and gave me full behind the scenes access. I have received the exact treatment from Crean when he was at Marquette.  Same for every IU from RMK to CTC. no.luck with anything the past 3 years. Since I'm retired from basketball it doesnt matter.  Hope all of this helps understand my comments.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lots of passion and care. The guys work hard and they know he cares. I don't like all the whining etc... that we see on TV but there is no doubt how much he cares about his guys and in return how.much they care about him. Not excusing the outside stuff thats for a different day but being around Izzo and staff for a few days I can see why guys want to play for him. 

About 15 or so years ago I asked Coach Izzo for some OB help against a zone. He sent me their whole playbook. Several DVD'S and lots of extras and invited me to come to practice and gave me full behind the scenes access. I have received the exact treatment from Crean when he was at Marquette.  Same for every IU from RMK to CTC. no.luck with anything the past 3 years. Since I'm retired from basketball it doesnt matter.  Hope all of this helps understand my comments.

I have been told by multiple in state high school coaches that Crean wasn’t that supportive. Acted like he was better than everyone in the room. A big reason in state recruiting tanked Crean’s last couple years.

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great story. Puts a whole different perspective on Coach Izzo's public persona. He really did not have to do that for you. 

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I appreciate the insight.... I know Archie is more close to the vest and business like and maybe isn’t as open as others which can rub people the wrong way but he’s my coach so I’m all in on what he thinks is best for our team

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Two things. First....very cool he would take the time to do that. Second though...which leads me to my point earlier....make nice with media/coaches and you'll have people singing his praises. Obviously I don't mean this personally. Your a respected member of the board and love the stuff you post....but that kind of is an example of what I said earlier. Make nice with certain folks and the "outside stuff" gets overlooked. To my point you remember what he did 15 years ago and still remembering the positive part of it. Again...not saying anything wrong with that (probably why Crean followed suit) but always amazing to me why people don't bring up the stuff. Jemele Hill tried. She was sent packing. 

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I used to go up to East Lansing every summer to work for Izzo/MSU during their high school basketball team camp. One particular day I was working on the Breslin Floor and standing at half court waiting for the second half of our game to start. Izzo sees me standing there and comes up, shakes my hand, asks me my name, where I was from, how long I had been officiating and several other questions about my family. We must of talked for 10 minutes or so and then he thanked me for being there and told me that if there was ever anything he could do for me to let him know. I am still to this day shocked and how genuine and sincere he was. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Two things. First....very cool he would take the time to do that. Second though...which leads me to my point earlier....make nice with media/coaches and you'll have people singing his praises. Obviously I don't mean this personally. Your a respected member of the board and love the stuff you post....but that kind of is an example of what I said earlier. Make nice with certain folks and the "outside stuff" gets overlooked. To my point you remember what he did 15 years ago and still remembering the positive part of it. Again...not saying anything wrong with that (probably why Crean followed suit) but always amazing to me why people don't bring up the stuff. Jemele Hill tried. She was sent packing. 

Jemele Hill was sent packing because she is batsh!t crazy and was a drain on viewership.  If she had any talent, she'd still be on TV somewhere.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Great story. Puts a whole different perspective on Coach Izzo's public persona. He really did not have to do that for you. 

You are correct.  It was very much like the movie We Are Marshall before the movie. He gave us a graf assistant email and said anything you need let him know.

They went full football pads helmet and all for rebounding drill.

Archived