Reason why Coach Miller feels IU will finish strong

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

This is the veteran leadership we've needed:

Jackson-Davis credits his upperclassmen teammates for helping him to be in the right place.

“On the court Justin (Smith) is really putting me in position on defense,” Jackson-Davis said.  “I think the last few games the defense has really carried us.”

20 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Thanks for the post The Daily Hoosier, You bring a lot to this board. And thanks Mile for sharing  

Bright day was when TDH chose to be a part of Hoosier Sports Nation.

And love you as well, loviubb.  You are right about TDH, in what he does for IU Sports.  Don't forget to check out his You Tube Channel as well.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Bright day was when TDH chose to be a part of Hoosier Sports Nation.

And love you as well, loviubb.  You are right about TDH, in what he does for IU Sports.  Don't forget to check out his You Tube Channel as well.

And as you could see these old hands could not thank you as fast as TDH😀

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Jackson-Davis credits his upperclassmen teammates for helping him to be in the right place.

“On the court Justin (Smith) is really putting me in position on defense,” Jackson-Davis said.  “I think the last few games the defense has really carried us.”

Have to admit, Justin is becoming a very intriguing player for us. I feel like he's going to become a leader for us the rest of the way, and have pretty high hopes for him next year as well. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Have to admit, Justin is becoming a very intriguing player for us. I feel like he's going to become a leader for us the rest of the way, and have pretty high hopes for him next year as well. 

Coulda, Wooda, Shouda... been the player we thought he would have been coming out of high school.  TILL.  His father got in his head.

Much appreciated, mile, TDH.

I agree with Arch here. This is a vastly improved defensive team...and we are getting even better at turning defense into offense.

I really hope we can get out of our own way with free throws...I swear we started the year shooting at a decent clip. It’s gotten abysmal. It’ll be even more important as we are gonna continue to get fouled on breaks.

Either way, we’ve all been searching for identity. I think we may have identified it.

6 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Much appreciated, mile, TDH.

I agree with Arch here. This is a vastly improved defensive team...and we are getting even better at turning defense into offense.

I really hope we can get out of our own way with free throws...I swear we started the year shooting at a decent clip. It’s gotten abysmal. It’ll be even more important as we are gonna continue to get fouled on breaks.

Either way, we’ve all been searching for identity. I think we may have identified it.

I was listening to Hoosier Hysterics podcast about Dane Fife, he took Zoloft and shot 47% from threes his senior year. Basically said anxiety was the cause of his offensive woes his first three years. Maybe this team needs to take some drugs. 

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I was listening to Hoosier Hysterics podcast about Dane Fife, he took Zoloft and shot 47% from threes his senior year. Basically said his anxiety was the cause of his offensive woes his first three years. Maybe this team needs to take some drugs. 

It would be just like Kelvin Sampson days.

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It would be just like Kelvin Sampson days.

Oh God. And so true. Still remember the time IU played in Chicago.  And agreed that several team members to lay back.  Then days, went by. No contact. And no one knowing, when or if they would return. 

Then when they returned and challenged by Dan Dakich what he (Sampson) intended to do about it.  Sampson replied : " I am just glad they are back".  Pushed further, by Dakich... we saw a long series of suspensions. 

No way, I want to return to those days.

14 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I love this statement. 

A) For all the criticism that JSmith draws, he appears to be a great teammate and an excellent student.  And he isn't devoid of basketball talent either.  He has all the pieces, if he could just get them in the right order. 

B) That's a mature statement coming from a freshman.  He didn't have to give his teammate a lift there....but he did.  Being as highly recruited as he was and with his dad being a fairly well regarded NBA player, Trayce could easily have been a head case.  But he's been the complete opposite.  Hell, he even responded WELL to being benched during the Rutgers game (I thought you couldn't do that with kids today....😉).

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Coulda, Wooda, Shouda... been the player we thought he would have been coming out of high school.  TILL.  His father got in his head.

No offense Mile...but what evidence do you have that the kid is listening to his dad and not Archie? He has been nothing but a good teammate from everything I can tell. Sure he has his ups and downs but what 20 year old doesn't. From what I can tell the only people worried about what his dad is saying is people spending too much time on the internet.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

No offense Mile...but what evidence do you have that the kid is listening to his dad and not Archie? He has been nothing but a good teammate from everything I can tell. Sure he has his ups and downs but what 20 year old doesn't. From what I can tell the only people worried about what his dad is saying is people spending too much time on the internet.

Might be talking about last season when it appeared that Smith was moody and even disinterested at times.  I'm not going to try to guess what was in his head, but with some of the tweets we saw from dad, it would be hard to imagine that Justin wasn't at least somewhat influenced by those negative public statements, I mean...he was still a teenager and Ed is still his dad.

That being said, if he was influenced and having negative thoughts, I don't see much evidence of that today.

23 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'm very critical of Smith's game, but his on ball defense at times can be very good. He does an outstanding job at "showing his hands" when guarding his man, which will lead to very few fouls. This allows him to body up the guy he's guarding without getting those ticky tack fouls. The second there is contact and a defender's hands are in the ball handler, it's going to be a whistle every time. He does a great job at moving his feet and keep the hands out.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

There were published reports, early on, and continuing, that his dad was making trips to B-town to meet with Coach Miller regarding how Archie was using him.  Early conflict in the way he played on the court showed me he was conflicted.

The Thinker: Hoosiers want athletic Justin Smith to analyze less, just play – The Athletic

And then there were tweets where his dad openly attacked Coach Miller.

Edward Smith tweet attacking Archie Miller

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There were published reports, early on, and continuing, that his dad was making trips to B-town to meet with Coach Miller regarding how Archie was using him.  Early conflict in the way he played on the court showed me he was conflicted.

The Thinker: Hoosiers want athletic Justin Smith to analyze less, just play – The Athletic

Edward Smith tweet attacking Archie Miller 129.96 kB · 0 downloads

Been almost a year since those tweets. Anything recent? I'm not always happy with Smith's play, but I have noticed that he seems to have become a vocal leader on the court this season. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Edward Smith tweet attacking Archie Miller 129.96 kB · 0 downloads

Do you know how many times my dad or my friends dad made comments to our coach about how he was using us etc.....and guess what...it didn't change a single fact about how I listened to my coach...played my butt off and did what I was asked...as little or as much playing time as he determined and at the position he played me at despite what my dad felt was best for me and the team. My dad even threatened to send me to play for our coaches son at another school who was asking me to come over there because even he didn't agree with how his dad was using me. Point being...I've seen zero evidence that what Justin's dad has done in the public has effected how willing Justin has been to do ANYTHING Archie has asked him to do. He has had some inconsistencies...pouted after some bad play...just general effort stuff from time to time (much like everyone else on the team) but a majority of the time...the kid plays his butt off. Kinda does the dirty work on this team...guards bigger dudes..smaller dudes on the perimeter, isn't a focus of getting the ball to him or plays run for him. I think people don't like his dad...and they project their feelings on him. IMO Justin has been one of the kids that has done things the right way...in class and on the court. But that is just me I guess.

Archived