Reason why Coach Miller feels IU will finish strong

19 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Might be talking about last season when it appeared that Smith was moody and even disinterested at times.  I'm not going to try to guess what was in his head, but with some of the tweets we saw from dad, it would be hard to imagine that Justin wasn't at least somewhat influenced by those negative public statements, I mean...he was still a teenager and Ed is still his dad.

That being said, if he was influenced and having negative thoughts, I don't see much evidence of that today.

Could have been. I think we were going through a 12-13 game losing streak and the whole team looked in a funk. I do remember us breaking out of that funk at the end of the year and in a large part because of the play of Justin down the stretch especially against MSU and some others....he was knocking down looks...rebounding...defending well. I just think last year more than anything it was a bad mix of players that didn't mesh. Not pointing fingers at anyone but I didn't see a "REAL" leader on the court...we know we had a OAD kid that was getting special attention etc and a bad mix of injuries that really had the whole team screwed up. Could have been listening to his dad...but the problems last year were much bigger than that..and he did play well for a large part of the year. I think this year the team still needs some leadership..but seems to have a good feel for each other. Seem to like playing together. I hope Justin steps up to be that vocal leader we need through this year and the next.

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you know how many times my dad or my friends dad made comments to our coach about how he was using us etc.....and guess what...it didn't change a single fact about how I listened to my coach...played my butt off and did what I was asked...as little or as much playing time as he determined and at the position he played me at despite what my dad felt was best for me and the team. My dad even threatened to send me to play for our coaches son at another school who was asking me to come over there because even he didn't agree with how his dad was using me. Point being...I've seen zero evidence that what Justin's dad has done in the public has effected how willing Justin has been to do ANYTHING Archie has asked him to do. He has had some inconsistencies...pouted after some bad play...just general effort stuff from time to time (much like everyone else on the team) but a majority of the time...the kid plays his butt off. Kinda does the dirty work on this team...guards bigger dudes..smaller dudes on the perimeter, isn't a focus of getting the ball to him or plays run for him. I think people don't like his dad...and they project their feelings on him. IMO Justin has been one of the kids that has done things the right way...in class and on the court. But that is just me I guess.

Pleased to hear, you listened to your coach, regardless of your dad, or friends, telling you different.  As far as evidence. I just have to reflect on games last year, where Justin just seemed his head was not in the game. Or other times, his freshman year, when he seemed to be struggling with how to handle situations. Rather, than letting the game come to him, as we have seen lately.

Just know this.  I appreciate your being a member of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Not only has his PPG gone from 6.5 to 8.2 to 12.2 so far this season. But IMHO, I think not only does he look more comfortable on the court this season, which has translated into an improved overall game. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He said a couple things earlier in the year but they weren’t remotely similar, weren’t against the coach or the players. 

bottom line, Justin has worked hard on his game and attitude, is a key and impactful player, helps his teammates, and is a good kid. 

I think Dad's beef this year was directed towards the negativity of our fanbase.

Archived