Jump to content

Archie's house for Thanksgiving ?


milehiiu
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Anybody heard ?

With a game on Wednesday, and another on Friday of this week.  Hard to get home for Thanksgiving. So... I have been thinking.  Would be cool if the team gathered at Archie's .

If Archie or school provides the food it will probably be a violation unless they put the food in the trunk of new car for each player then it will be permittable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the link. 

Oh, and Coach Miller.  Get used to it.  You're not coaching Dayton any longer.

 

I know your just having fun, but in the press conference he said he hasn't been on campus because his teams have always been playing in some tournament and/or traveling to away games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Surely you can feed your players Thanksgiving dinner?  I thought the issue was having recruits at your house, not players already on scholarship?  Forgive my ignorance if I'm off here...won't claim to be an expert.

It's those darn bumper stickers that get you in trouble..... Those and too many phone calls  O.o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know your just having fun, but in the press conference he said he hasn't been on campus because his teams have always been playing in some tournament and/or traveling to away games. 

Not really having fun.  When you are a mid major and having to generate revenue, you are forced to schedule games on the road during Thanksgiving.  Now, he does not have the same problem.  Not saying that he won't schedule a tournament around Thanksgiving time in the future.  Just that he does not have to any longer. 

The game on Sunday being a perfect example.  Students out on break, and Assembly Hall was filled to the rafters.  Even if the tickets were free as someone alluded to.... there is still revenue to be had selling concessions, and parking cars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Surely you can feed your players Thanksgiving dinner?  I thought the issue was having recruits at your house, not players already on scholarship?  Forgive my ignorance if I'm off here...won't claim to be an expert.

You are correct.  Can't feed the recruits.  Players are ok.  Camp Hoosier knows it as well, as the Crean's had players over for dinner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Not really having fun.  When you are a mid major and having to generate revenue, you are forced to schedule games on the road during Thanksgiving.  Now, he does not have the same problem.  Not saying that he won't schedule a tournament around Thanksgiving time in the future.  Just that he does not have to any longer. 

The game on Monday being a perfect example.  Students out on break, and Assembly Hall was filled to the rafters.  Even if the tickets were free as someone alluded to.... there is still revenue to be had selling concessions, and parking cars. 

Gotcha, I misinterpreted your post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the rules on food anymore but I do remember when I worked at The Tudor Room (IMU) way back when. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of Turkey week we would receive overtime/plus tips for making/serving food to football/hoops players. I remember one meal alone we made over 300 steaks for the football team. 

I also thought Yogi's Mom used to have guys over too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know the rules on food anymore but I do remember when I worked at The Tudor Room (IMU) way back when. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of Turkey week we would receive overtime/plus tips for making/serving food to football/hoops players. I remember one meal alone we made over 300 steaks for the football team. 

I also thought Yogi's Mom used to have guys over too. 

I got pics from Tijan Jobe's future mother-in-law (at the time) of the team at her house when she would BBQ for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indiana basketball and Thanksgiving. This is a quote from John Feinstein discussing A Season on the Brink:

 

The one (memory that stands out) that involved Knight was a scene I described in the book after they'd lost to Michigan and Michigan State. When he just stopped the tape. He was in mid-tirade and just stopped the tape. He just said to the players, "I tell you all the time, you can't be good players if you're selfish people. I don't think you understand what I'm saying, so let me ask you a question" - I'm shortening this - "When you guys went to Dr. Rink's house for Thanksgiving dinner and Mrs. Rink shopped for you and cooked for you and cleaned up her house after you left, anybody in here who called her to thank her, wrote her a note or send her flowers, raise your hand." And not a single hand went up. (Knight) turned to Alford and he said, "Steve, why could I ask that question with full confidence that none of you did any of that?" And Alford said, "Because we're selfish people." (Knight) said "Exactly," and then walked out of the room. I thought that was the greatest coaching thing I'd ever seen. Still the greatest coaching thing I've ever seen."

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not really having fun.  When you are a mid major and having to generate revenue, you are forced to schedule games on the road during Thanksgiving.  Now, he does not have the same problem.  Not saying that he won't schedule a tournament around Thanksgiving time in the future.  Just that he does not have to any longer. 

The game on Sunday being a perfect example.  Students out on break, and Assembly Hall was filled to the rafters.  Even if the tickets were free as someone alluded to.... there is still revenue to be had selling concessions, and parking cars. 

He still will have games to schedule around, he just didn't this year.  There are numerous big tournaments that we will play in going forward that would cause him to be away.  Just last year we were away because of Maui. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It's those darn bumper stickers that get you in trouble..... Those and too many phone calls  O.o

I heard that they may take photos for a calendar. Sales proceeds support the local homeless shelter. Is that a problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...