Post Game Hell Yeah

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There are a lot of good broadcasters and I don’t know why Joe Buck is anointed By FOX.  I like that he’s an IU guy and he’s fine but he’s nothing special to me as a broadcaster.  

My favorite football announcer was Pat Summerall.  Amazing in his prime.  

Btownqb is my guy but I love Romo’s work.  Since you’re a coach, maybe things are obvious to you, but fans like his insight. It’s not just his  predictions, it’s the why behind them. 

Frank Calliendo doing Gruden is the best.  

I started a thread a few months ago about who will be the next great announcers.  those announcers when you here their voice you know it is a huge game and you want to watch it.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reason this win was huge and something that hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge:

IUs prior 4 wins in the Big 10 were against the current bottom 3 teams in the league standings.  I dont think Bucky will stay there but it is what it is.  Obviously MSU is at the top.  Legitimizes our current claim as one of the top 5-6 in the league right now. 

Here is a replay of the last 4 seconds of the game.

4 seconds left - YES!!!!! - What I yelled when TJD blocked the layup/pass or whatever Winston threw up there

2 seconds left - NO!!!!!! - When the MSU player put it back up

0.6 seconds left - YES!!!!!! - Wehn it rolled off the rim and Hunter got the rebound.

This team has some warts but does look like the backbone of the program is rebuilt for Archie to build on moving forward. Here is the core and they are all presumably back next year.

• Brunk
  • TJD
  • Smith
  • Al
  • Rob
  • Franklin
  • Race
  • Hunter
  • DA

Deron and Green can still pitch in off the bench this year before they go and are replaced by Geronimo, Gallaway, and Leal. THe core above should all continue to improve moving forward to next season. Back it  up with a solid 2021 recruiting class. Been painful getting there and some downs may still come but seems the rebuild plan may be working as the team gels. 

Earlier in the year CAM said the team will be built on its D. It's taken a while, but do think we're seeing that defense-first mentality buy-in and implementation.

The offense, particularly perimeter O, still needs work, but with Rob on the floor it's moving in the right direction, and with the D-first game gelling, we're looking pretty solid.

Not looking past this Sunday game at all, but also think that while the road is going to be difficult for sure, the Rutgers game already showed the team's fight (followed by the W at Neb), and I think we'll see a tougher IU team on the road as well going forward.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m not going to watch the Izzo presser because I just don’t like looking at his whiny face, but based on comments here he sounds like a sore loser.

MSU did not play a horrible game. In fact, I think they beat at least 75% of the teams in the Big Ten playing the way they played last night. They hit 43% from 3 on the road - 9 threes! I’m sure Izzo will take that any night of the year on the road.

Izzo is sore because IU beat them at their own game again. They beat them on the boards, out hustled them and were tougher....AGAIN. Not to mention IU gifted them a 33% at the three and 55% from the FT line. Let me repeat that: 55% from the FT line! But apparently these ‘controllable factors’ are a fluke. He can go ahead and blame his loss on our best 3 point shooter making a shot or two. Too bad, so sad.

I just watched his presser and came away with a few things.....

...Izzo has a superiority complex. ( an arrogance about him that is actually pungent)

...For what ever reason, Izzo can't and won't show any praise or complements towards IU's continued ability to beat them.

...Izzo loves and respects Coach Knight/Assembly Hall.......(he called Assembly Hall a building......he wouldn't mention the fans in that building are a huge part of IU's success)

... Izzo didn't speak the words Indiana, IU or Coach Miller one time during the presser.......

...Coach Miller was referred to as "he", only one time by Izzo, when addressing Indiana.

...Izzo likes Trace Jackson Davis and paid compliments to him, even saying his actual name.......because he wanted him for himself. 

12 hours ago, UsHoosiersinky said:

I’m not sure exactly why people especially intelligent IU fans keep waiting for hunter to blow up? He hasn’t had an impact all season! I think he has the potential to be a good sub for a couple years but I don’t see anything to suggest he could be a starter let alone an impact player. Players do improve but he’s going to have to have a complete revamp! 

gotta agree with this

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

gotta agree with this

Why do people like to tear down our kids? If Hunter was an upper classman ok...he hasn't lived up to expectations..but the kid is a freshman...and hasn't even played a lot of meaningful basketball yet. He is getting his feet wet. Kid has a good stroke and a good feel for the game. I don't expect him to blossom over night but to act like he doesn't have a future here is pretty darn bleak. His career is just getting started! I'm not writing this kid off...not at all!

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why do people like to tear down our kids? If Hunter was an upper classman ok...he hasn't lived up to expectations..but the kid is a freshman...and hasn't even played a lot of meaningful basketball yet. He is getting his feet wet. Kid has a good stroke and a good feel for the game. I don't expect him to blossom over night but to act like he doesn't have a future here is pretty darn bleak. His career is just getting started! I'm not writing this kid off...not at all!

His ceiling is higher than anyone on the current roster other than TJD and maybe Rob. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There are a lot of good broadcasters and I don’t know why Joe Buck is anointed By FOX.  I like that he’s an IU guy and he’s fine but he’s nothing special to me as a broadcaster.  

My favorite football announcer was Pat Summerall.  Amazing in his prime.  

Btownqb is my guy but I love Romo’s work.  Since you’re a coach, maybe things are obvious to you, but maybe fans like his insight.  Maybe that’s the reason for the difference of opinion?  To me, it’s not just his predictions, it’s the why behind them. 

Frank Calliendo doing Gruden is the best.  

Joe Buck is garbage.  I realized this recently when I caught a replay of the Helmet Catch against the Patriots in the Super Bowl during all the NFL 100 hoopla recently.  That call is just atrocious.  The biggest moment in Super Bowl history and he sounds completely blasé during the catch and subsequent touchdown.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeh.  It's tough getting back after a year away from playing or practicing.  Was he even allowed to workout for strength and conditioning. 

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

His ceiling is higher than anyone on the current roster other than TJD and maybe Rob. 

He is simply that x factor that if we can get him scoring 8-10pts a night...man that likely is the difference between being a bubble team and say a 5-6 seed. He has nice form on his shot..and can defend 3 and 4. He is just trying to catch up.

12 hours ago, UsHoosiersinky said:

I’m not sure exactly why people especially intelligent IU fans keep waiting for hunter to blow up? He hasn’t had an impact all season! I think he has the potential to be a good sub for a couple years but I don’t see anything to suggest he could be a starter let alone an impact player. Players do improve but he’s going to have to have a complete revamp! 

Why? Being a top 50 recruit that sat out a full year and has only played 18 games is why. 

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

Yeh.  It's tough getting back after a year away from playing or practicing.  Was he even allowed to workout for strength and conditioning. 

I believe he was able to do conditioning and individual stuff most of the summer...but contact stuff (really where the meat and potatoes are of practice) not really until right before the season. Only so far you can come without "LIVE" action. It's why the game moves fast for him right now. I believe he will slowly round into play.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Why? Being a top 50 recruit that sat out a full year and has only played 18 games is why. 

Exactly, he is a true freshman by playing experience, and unlike the freshman, he did not play any basketball at all for 8-10 months.  I saw him in high school and he was very good against good competition.  He will be a double digit scorer for us in the future.

2 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Exactly, he is a true freshman by playing experience, and unlike the freshman, he did not play any basketball at all for 8-10 months.  I saw him in high school and he was very good against good competition.  He will be a double digit scorer for us in the future.

Agreed....heck I even think Damezi will come around with his shot too. He may never play the kind of defense Archie loves but I think he can be a spark off the bench someday too. People just think these kids should be Victor Oladipo etc but they don't remember those kids took time to develop too.

7 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Exactly.

And to just continue to disregard that the kid could not even practice last year, and got both Morgan's and Romeo's props as the player to watch on the team.... Oh well.

No way to know if Hunter will regain the full game and confidence he had at the start of last year. But I wouldn't bet against him, absolutely no reason to. 

The other thing going on here, as CAM has made clear now more than once, is that Hunter is on a "tight leash" tied to his D, as a true frosh. He has not played enough to get his offensive rhythm going, he just hasn't.  For CAM, the D has to come first. But his form is there to see, he just hit two HUGE clutch free throws after grabbing the rebound at the end -- golly, why did CAM have him in at the end of that uber tight game against the top team in the conference? Gee that's hard to figure out, seeing as we should just be writing him off and all.

Not apples to apples but this kind of stuff always takes me back to guys like Collin H and Vic. After his frosh season, people were actually vocally hoping Collin would transfer. And how did he look his soph-junior years? And Vic shot like 25% or so, being generous, from the arc, before becoming a 43% outside shooter as a junior. His form was always there, plain to see, including at the stripe. 

Hunter is a long, strong wing who can absolutely shoot as well as drive in traffic/make decisions on the ball, and is already showing significant defensive growth. He has a huge ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And to just continue to disregard that the kid could not even practice last year, and got both Morgan's and Romeo's props as the player to watch on the team.... Oh well.

Pshhhh....two guys that currently have NBA contracts? What do they know?

:coffee:

(And yes, before anyone asks, yes, Morgan's contract is with the Jazz directly, not the G-league)

We are very good at point guard and with bigs (TJD as an impact talent and Brunk as a lunch pail, leader).  

Imagine this team with a legit true wing, a guy with length and quickness who can rebound, shoot at all levels, and defend.  That guy can be Jerome Hunter.  You don’t necessarily see it in the box score, but he’s emerging.  

If this crew comes back in tact, we could be well balanced and experienced next year.  That’s a pretty good recipe.  The best part is this team is playing hard and tough, with accountability.  It’s playing like an a Indiana team.  

If we can convert on the 2021 recruiting class, we can start rolling.  

15 hours ago, psychobat said:

Where are all the regulars that rag on Archie all the time?  Amazing how there are so many no-shows when we win.

There are a couple of them that were lurking towards the end of the game, just waiting for us to lose.  Alas, after we pulled it out, they found somewhere else to be.

Yes, @Mike and @bobtcat2, I am talking about you.  If you can't post in the good times as well as the bad ones, well, it's obvious you have an agenda.

Archived