Post Game Hell Yeah

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

The Indiana fan base is special.  And the Indiana name means something in terms of eyeballs.  Like an NFL team that has fans in random places with no connection to the city or team, so does Indiana basketball, for obvious reasons.  This fan base is awesome.  

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Solid all around, held the lead, played with poise, this team is going to be in the tourney 

As long as we can develop consistency I agree ! That’s a couple games in a row where we have had more assists than turnovers and our guards have been smart distributors ....do this 4 games out of 5 and we are a tough out 

23 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

High IQ basketball tonight by Indiana. 

Couldn’t agree more ! And that makes two in a row with more assists than turnovers ...no coincidence i beliebe that’s the first time we’ve had two in a row all year and we win them both .....guards played and distributed with intelligence ....if you take green out of the equation we actually have a solid shooting percentage and our assist to turnover ratio gets even better !!! Arch has gotten a knack for pulling the hook on him when he’s not scorching hot so he doesn’t stagnate the offense and I think it shows a promising balance 

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You can’t fix stupid. 

Bob did you see more of the effort level we put up for Ohio state game ? They looked pretty close to me ...I don’t wanna get my hopes too high but if we don’t start by spotting Rutgers a huge lead we might be talking about a solid win streak that had consistent energy and effort ....that makes it REAL easy to cheer 

15 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

He has to be the most maddening player to manage as a coach. He has won us a couple games this year on his own but this teams growth has absolutely nothing to do with him.

SO true You couldn’t be more correct ...hopefully  with the short hook arch has developed he may finally have the balance ...if he Reads him as hot you live with the mistakes and let him pull the team along and create energy by nailing high difficulty shots ...if he’s not full energy on D and they aren’t falling keep him at around 10 minutes a game and he can’t drown us 

oh and ps ...give me a liter o’ cola

9 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Here is a replay of the last 4 seconds of the game.

4 seconds left - YES!!!!! - What I yelled when TJD blocked the layup/pass or whatever Winston threw up there

2 seconds left - NO!!!!!! - When the MSU player put it back up

0.6 seconds left - YES!!!!!! - Wehn it rolled off the rim and Hunter got the rebound.

This team has some warts but does look like the backbone of the program is rebuilt for Archie to build on moving forward. Here is the core and they are all presumably back next year.

• Brunk
  • TJD
  • Smith
  • Al
  • Rob
  • Franklin
  • Race
  • Hunter
  • DA

Deron and Green can still pitch in off the bench this year before they go and are replaced by Geronimo, Gallaway, and Leal. THe core above should all continue to improve moving forward to next season. Back it  up with a solid 2021 recruiting class. Been painful getting there and some downs may still come but seems the rebuild plan may be working as the team gels. 

I agree With your direction and sentiment completely on being near a “ clicking” point and having a position to build on it next year but I’d say more like TJD Brunk rob as the pieces you know you can build with and the others on your list more a “ to be determined “ status on how they fit or who can be replaced from the 2020 class ...those guys have all show flashes for sure but your top three I listed you know what your going to get in 90% or the games you play...the other guys are talented and can help on any given night but you really don’t know what you’ll get night in and night out , maybe they develop some consistency Over the rest of the season and maybe not but your top three are good enough to build on just using others as interchangeable pieces 

29 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Bob did you see more of the effort level we put up for Ohio state game ? They looked pretty close to me ...I don’t wanna get my hopes too high but if we don’t start by spotting Rutgers a huge lead we might be talking about a solid win streak that had consistent energy and effort ....that makes it REAL easy to cheer 

I thought so.  The intensity and attitude has flipped remarkably. As seeking6 astutely pointed out, the players get it and can see for themselves that playing hard and tough leads to success.  And with benching guys, Archie is getting the message across.  

I have not bought into the notion that all kids today can’t be coached hard. Maybe some can’t, and they shouldn’t be here.  That’s not Indiana ball.  But we still have people with ambition who know that success requires sweat of the brow.  You’ve got to have a thick skin. Getting better isn’t easy or else everybody would be an all-American. I think we are seeing kids getting the message and buying in.  

Archie is putting a premium on playing hard and smart.  He has figured out the fan base will love it if guys go to the bench if they don’t.  

No one has ever accused Race of playing soft.  All of a sudden he is coming in quickly.  I think it’s no accident that he’s getting in early and that he’s a tough, hard nosed kid.  That trait is being rewarded and emphasized.  

Other than 1-2 plays by Green where he defended very lackadaisically, I thought we saw 40 minutes of tough basketball.  To be fair, MSU ran Green through the ringer in terms of a series of physical screens per possession but nevertheless he didn’t fight hard enough IMO and Arch took him out quickly and our D tightened up.  These are all positives from our coach. 

PS it’s nice getting you out of the one thread lol. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought so.  The intensity and attitude has flipped remarkably. As seeking6 astutely pointed out, the players get it and can see for themselves that playing hard and tough leads to success.  And with benching guys, he’s getting the message across.  

I have not bought into the notion that all kids today can’t be coached hard. Maybe some can’t, and they shouldn’t be here.  That’s not Indiana ball.  But we still have people with ambition who know that success requires sweat of the brow.  You’ve got to have a thin skin. I think we are seeing kids getting the message and buying in.  

Archie is putting a premium on playing hard and smart.  He has figured out the fan base will love it if guys go to the bench if they don’t.  

No one has ever accused Race of playing soft.  All of a sudden he is coming in quickly.  I think it’s no accident that he’s getting early and that he’s a tough, hard nosed kid.  

Other than 1-2 plays by Green where he defended very lackadaisically, I thought we saw 40 minutes of tough basketball.  MSU ran Green through the ringer in terms of a series of physical screens per possession but he didn’t fight hard enough IMO and Arch took him out quickly and our D tightened up.  These are all positives from our coach. 

I think you’re spot on ...if arch manages games and the bench this way and the message gets across we can be a dangerous team in a year where no one is unbeatable...makes it a lot more fun to watch 

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I think you’re spot on ...if arch manages games and the bench this way and the message gets across we can be a dangerous team in a year where no one is unbeatable...makes it a lot more fun to watch 

Good point.  There is no single team that is scary.  I could see a veteran team that simply knows how to play cut down the nets.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point.  There is no single team that is scary.  I could see a veteran team that simply knows how to play cut down the nets.  

And considering We’ve had at least two years i legitimately expected us to win and we underperformed it would be nice  to have a year we didn’t expect to and have it happen ...measuring stick for me is we played with enough effort and intelligence yesterday that while I would have been sick if we lost I would have still been ok with our game ....trending in right direction 

23 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I couldn’t stop watching that Izzo presser.  Just him being defensive for 15 minutes.

It is a great example of how the trait of being defensive is a loser not just in basketball or sports, but in life.  If you are being defensive, not only does it come across poorly, but you’re headed down the wrong path.  That’s not how you get to success.  

Izzo is perhaps the very top of the list of coaches I'd never want my kid to play for. 

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought so.  The intensity and attitude has flipped remarkably. As seeking6 astutely pointed out, the players get it and can see for themselves that playing hard and tough leads to success.  And with benching guys, Archie is getting the message across.  

I have not bought into the notion that all kids today can’t be coached hard. Maybe some can’t, and they shouldn’t be here.  That’s not Indiana ball.  But we still have people with ambition who know that success requires sweat of the brow.  You’ve got to have a thick skin. Getting better isn’t easy or else everybody would be an all-American. I think we are seeing kids getting the message and buying in.  

No one has ever accused Race of playing soft.  All of a sudden he is coming in quickly.  I think it’s no accident that he’s getting in early and that he’s a tough, hard nosed kid.  That trait is being rewarded and emphasized.  

Other than 1-2 plays by Green where he defended very lackadaisically, I thought we saw 40 minutes of tough basketball.  To be fair, MSU ran Green through the ringer in terms of a series of physical screens per possession but nevertheless he didn’t fight hard enough IMO and Arch took him out quickly and our D tightened up.  These are all positives from our coach. 

I agree with everything you’ve said here. However, if Arch is using the bench to make fans happy, he isn’t using for the right reason.

He should coach to win. The bench should be used for a couple reasons: to limit liability players from making liability plays, and, to teach players what not to do, by showing them what is working in the game while sending a message.

Of course he needs to ultimately be concerned with the fan base, but he can’t make coaching and tactical moves based on popular opinion. If we win, the fan base will find enough reasons to be happy.

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Plus 100 on the playing hard comments.

To me not consistently playing hard has been the most baffling/disappointing aspect of the Archie era. Hopefully the team has turned the corner. They played really, really tough against MSU and have a chance to show they can be consistent Sunday.

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Archie is clearly trying to establish a culture.  Slowly but surely it's happening.

That is so important.

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

I agree with everything you’ve said here. However, if Arch is using the bench to make fans happy, he isn’t using for the right reason.

He should coach to win. The bench should be used for a couple reasons: to limit liability players from making liability plays, and, to teach players what not to do, by showing them what is working in the game while sending a message.

Of course he needs to ultimately be concerned with the fan base, but he can’t make coaching and tactical moves based on popular opinion. If we win, the fan base will find enough reasons to be happy.

I doubt the fans are a factor. Doesn’t mesh with any description of CAM’s personality by those who know him. Matta said CAM doesn’t care about outside noise

He finally has almost enough healthy bodies to use the bench as a motivator 

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I doubt the fans are a factor. Doesn’t mesh with any description of CAM’s personality by those who know him. Matta said CAM doesn’t care about outside noise

Yeah, I doubt it, too. It seemed like Bob may have been intimating that Archie knows using the bench makes fans happy, as if that might be a reason he’s doing it. 

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

All day long. All due respect to others but Archie is the kind of guy that doesn't do one thing in his daily routine to make the fans happy except for speaking engagements. You nailed....with enough healthy bodies for the first time in a year the bench is the motivator. 

3 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Oddly enough bobs observation of what’s being done and your observation of what SHOULD be done Are identical.....I would like to think it’s because we are such a knowledgeable fan base ...but regardless of the reason I think effectively utilizing the bench to the benefit of the team both IN game and as a coaching tool ALSO , coincidentally, draws raves from the fans.  So I’m not sure if it’s a chicken and egg argument as to arch’s motivation for doing so but either way you’re both getting what you want which is the exact same thing 

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Plus 100 on the playing hard comments.

To me not consistently playing hard has been the most baffling/disappointing aspect of the Archie era. Hopefully the team has turned the corner. They played really, really tough against MSU and have a chance to show they can be consistent Sunday.

And I think they’ve done so consistently since Ohio state for the most part ( at least noticeably different to me ) ...we haven’t had any of those maddening five minute stretches where we look disinterested.....it just seems more like iu basketball 

- I get that the rules constituting a carry have evolved considerably over the years, but Casius Winston really takes things to a new level. He also pushed with his off arm at least a half dozen times and was never called.

- I wish Green would play off ball more. He's still probably our best outside shooter, seems like if he is playing off the ball he won't be in a position to dribble himself into trouble or to launch long, contested 3's. 

- If we can just maintain this pace of not good, but not awful shooting, we will be tough to beat. Limiting shots from guys that can't shoot goes a long way in that. 

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

- I get that the rules constituting a carry have evolved considerably over the years, but Casius Winston really takes things to a new level. He also pushed with his off arm at least a half dozen times and was never called.

- I wish Green would play off ball more. He's still probably our best outside shooter, seems like if he is playing off the ball he won't be in a position to dribble himself into trouble or to launch long, contested 3's. 

- If we can just maintain this pace of not good, but not awful shooting, we will be tough to beat. Limiting shots from guys that can't shoot goes a long way in that. 

I mentioned either earlier, or in another thread entirely, that we have all been waiting for this team to find and embody its identity, and that I thought defense was it. I think we can safely start to assume that defense combined with inside-out half court offense is becoming our more holistic identity.

If we keep growing, we might well just catch fire at the right time. I do think we are turning into a tough team to beat, right before our eyes. We just can’t take our foot off the gas.

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Yeah, I doubt it, too. It seemed like Bob may have been intimating that Archie knows using the bench makes fans happy, as if that might be a reason he’s doing it. 

Yes, you are right.  I’m not trying to say that Archie needs to make basketball strategy moves to make the fans happy.  But I was pointing out that historically the fans here grew up on an Indiana basketball where the bench was used for accountability.  Having been accustomed to that culture, the fans will applaud that.  Much of the previous grumbling arose from the fact that the bench wasn’t used to get messages across to the players.  I’m sure I wasn’t artful. I may have been typing under the influence.  😮

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Yes, if we had a backup point guard, DG should only be a catch and shoot 2 guard. He should never dribble the ball, unless it's toward the rim after a shot fake

Archived