Post Game Hell Yeah

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

TJD on the final defensive play on Winston...

"We were in 'blue,' which means we switch everything,'' Jackson-Davis said. "I baited him a little bit, and he drove and was able to stay with him.'

Wise beyond his years...

And then some.  That wasn't some nobody from Manitoba A&M he was guarding. 

7 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

Izzo was referring to Justin shooting a terrible percentage last year but hitting those big 3's. I remember his press conference where he said essentially the exact same thing as he did tonight when he brought that up. It really has nothing to do with Al and I don't know why he was bringing up last year. Apparently that L really stuck with him if he is still that butt hurt over it.

He definitely did say something along the lines of "like the kid last year" referring to Justin...essentially saying all the times we have beat them have been lucky...

But throughout the rest of the interview he was referring to last night's game and kept exclaiming 12%! (there must be some segment of games he is talking about) He was definitely referring to Al....he then tried to erode our guards confidence by saying they are good kids who play hard, but that they can't shoot.

He also implied that Trayce was the only one he even recruited on our team...which is fine....because these kids who he wouldn't even recruit and can't shoot just beat him three times in a row....

9 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I did not get to watch, but looking at the boxscore a few things stand out to me:

1) Generally none of the things we said needed to happen for us to win actually happened...Devonte did not go off, we didn't completely shut down Winston, We weren't better at the free throw line...maybe the only one that happened was the fast start
2) We were outshot from the three point line by a pretty wide margin and still won
3) Jerome did not have a new impact in the scoring column

Meaning, as far as I can tell, we won on toughness and some IQ....that travels, and that lasts...more than a hot shooting night. 

I generally like Archie, I really think he is so much more real than our previous coach, I want him to succeed, and I think that his manner is the way to do it. Not as elitist blue bloods, but blue collar toughness that plays together from start to finish. That's actually how we got the Blue blood status in the first place...

Was getting ready to post something similar.

I still maintain that we're not all of the sudden going to turn in to a good shooting team at this point in the season (really hope I'm wrong though). But the great thing about last night's win is that we do have a path to victories. 

But even better, is that lately I'm becoming more optimistic about next year. During the OSU game it was great to see how that line-up of all CAM players moved the ball so well. And last night we didn't need any help from the seniors. I think this is really promising. If Leal can come in and shoot and maybe we can get another shooter via grad-transfer we can be a formidable team next year. 

8 hours ago, madmax said:

Skip to the 1:10 point. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but he seems to be inferring that Al is shooting 12% from three. Suck it, Tom.

What a complete a*& hat.

Izzo obviously has something personal with Miller/IU.....maybe the Crean firing, I don't know. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I think Izzo dislikes Archie ,because he took Creans job. He could never say enough good things about Creans teams.

Miller is a more competent Coach than Crean IMO.  If he is able to fix a few things that are not currently working so well and he begins to really take off in recruiting, that could be a problem for Izzo.

I have given Miller some (deserved) grief over the past few years.  However, there are things he has done the past few games that have me pleased.  If he is willing to not be too bull headed, he could be successful at Indiana.  As with anything, time will tell...as far as Izzo goes though, kind of hard for a team to get "lucky" against you 3 games in a row.  He may be running into a situation where Indiana just has his number.

Anyone who has ever played or coached or both understands exactly what is finally going on with these guys. Symmetry or trust or whatever you want to call it....but the players now are seeing and feeling that the coaches are right. Do it their way and results will follow. Can't ever underestimate the importance in believing what a coach is telling you actually works. 

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

I understand Fife wants MSU to win, being an assistant coach...but at the same time, I wonder if at all, he appreciates and is happy about seeing IU do well. 

Did you happen to listen to the Hoosier Hysterics Interview of him? I love that guy. He is funny, smart, and tough. I think that he really has the "it factor" when it comes to coaching and relating to people. He will be a great head coach one day and I will root for him.

He has a lot of respect for Izzo which I find pretty mystifying. I know there are posters here who have had good interactions with Izzo and are impressed with him as a coach, and I get that, but there is plenty of smoke when it comes to that campus and the stuff that has gone on there with Izzo in position to know and do something about...in particular with his own players.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

What a complete a*& hat.

Izzo obviously has something personal with Miller/IU.....maybe the Crean firing, I don't know. 

It's always been about Crean. I get loyalty and can appreciate it....but he's the one who had all 5 starters in the game when they were up 27 with 90 seconds to ago during Archie's first year. Never heard one peep from Archie. Why? Because Archie knows that's weak. 

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well here at work some are giving Aaron Henry's father some grief about the game last night but I have been a big man and did not rub it in to much.

When I heard that Henry was going to go pro after this year, I kinda thought it was a joke.

After watching him last night, Henry is easily an NBA talent and one of the best guards in the B10.

IMO, he should be running that team, not Winston. 

13 minutes ago, JugRox said:

What a complete a*& hat.

Think it is that and the fact he could beat Crean in game and on the recruiting trail easier than Arch.

Cry baby Izzo sure has fallen out of favor over the years. I remember when he was beloved and every four year player for him had made a Final Four for awhile. Not that I want Archie to be like him in many ways, but hearing he's been at MSU for 25 years and turns 65 soon on the broadcast got me thinking that is about Archie's age when he took over at IU. The only thing I would like Archie to be like him is success, Take a look at the similarities in their 1st 2.5 seasons...

image.png.b47e033a82a91c27c5bb6bd8e01fc91b.png

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

If both stay healthy and continue on the path they're going, teams are going to be sick of seeing Rob and Armaan running the break over the next year or two.

He wasn't a total unknown like OG, but Archie found a good bargain in Franklin.

...and to think...most folks considered him and Newman a tossup.

One other thing Izzo said in the post game...

That Winston just "missed" the layup at the end...

"He had 2 guys coming at him."

Yes, Tom...and one of them, a freshman, got a hand on the ball after he baited your senior guard into driving to the basket...

Give credit where it's due...

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wish Archie would stop even giving him chances. He clearly isn’t interested in them.  Stop letting him hurt you archie. 

I use the analogy of a heat check. Archie kind of runs him out there in the first half and the second to see if he gets hot. When he sees it going south he quickly yanks him out. Honestly, we just don't have the guard depth to not try playing him...we just don't. He is the closest thing we have to a back up pg. Rob with his injuries and how hard he is playing on defense can't play 40 minutes. I know we don't like seeing Green come in and the other team make a run but we just don't have a choice. I think Archie for the most part did the best he could with the rotations last night. He had a couple bad units but he switched them out as fast as he could when he saw it heading south. I think he pushed the right buttons at the right time.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing Izzo said in the post game...

That Winston just "missed" the layup at the end...

"He had 2 guys coming at him."

Yes, Tom...and one of them, a freshman, got a hand on the ball after he baited your senior guard into driving to the basket...

Give credit where it's due...

Impossible. Tom would never credit a freshman on an opposing team into tricking his all world guard. Heady, heady play. 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I use the analogy of a heat check. Archie kind of runs him out there in the first half and the second to see if he gets hot. When he sees it going south he quickly yanks him out. Honestly, we just don't have the guard depth to not try playing him...we just don't. He is the closest thing we have to a back up pg. Rob with his injuries and how hard he is playing on defense can't play 40 minutes. I know we don't like seeing Green come in and the other team make a run but we just don't have a choice. I think Archie for the most part did the best he could with the rotations last night. He had a couple bad units but he switched them out as fast as he could when he saw it heading south. I think he pushed the right buttons at the right time.

Agreed - this is the best you can do with Devonte at this point in time. Grab some rest minutes for Rob or one of the other guys, see if there are any signs of "good" Devonte, and then act accordingly. It is what it is.

9 hours ago, UsHoosiersinky said:

Really glad to see some old school Hoosier energy for 40 minutes! My coach always said just because you can’t shoot or score doesn’t mean you can’t win! That hit home tonight. Effort isn’t sexy but it wins games and in the end that’s what it’s all about. Side note did I see the B1G home team is winning 90% of games most in the history of the B1G? That’s insane! This conference is just milkshake thick! Go Hoosiers 

Welcome to the board...and beautiful point!

Archived