Indiana University vs Maryland Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland has been all over the place this year, but they've been playing good ball recently. We match up really well with them, though - we have the size to match theirs down low (except for that Marial kid - sheesh), Rob can handle Cowan, and the teams are very similar overall. We let Sticks get free for a couple of open 3s last time around on basic pick and pop plays, so hoping we have adjusted for that, and we had our usual dead period in the last game - think there was a 24-3 run by Maryland or something. Hit some FTs this time around and we should come out with a W. 

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

A win here is another resume builder and should get us ranked on Monday.  

Keep in mind, I'm as apathetic about the AP/Coaches polls as you can get.  But if we beat Maryland and MSU back to back and we're not ranked, there's something wrong. 

Quick turnaround for sure but this weekend is as close as you can get to simulating what tourney play will be like in March. Get a day of rest for some and start prepping tonight for another big one on Sunday. I said before last night I would be content with a split but now I'm greedy. 3 games in 6 days before a week off. Stretches like this is why I'm so glad we not only have 10 guys who can play but 10 guys who can play well and contribute. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick turnaround for sure but this weekend is as close as you can get to simulating what tourney play will be like in March. Get a day of rest for some and start prepping tonight for another big one on Sunday. I said before last night I would be content with a split but now I'm greedy. 3 games in 6 days before a week off. Stretches like this is why I'm so glad we not only have 10 guys who can play but 10 guys who can play well and contribute. 

Yep... We’ve already won 4 out of the 6 game stretch from Northwestern to Maryland that we discussed a little while back, which is better than I expected.  But capping off that 6 game stretch with a mediocre Maryland team at home, why not make it 5-1 and change the narrative on this season for good?

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep... We’ve already won 4 out of the 6 game stretch from Northwestern to Maryland that we discussed a little while back, which is better than I expected.  But capping off that 6 game stretch with a mediocre Maryland team at home, why not make it 5-1 and change the narrative on this season for good?

Haha...yep. I'm sure some will go back and take a peak at some of the guesses for our record during this stretch but man if we win Sunday. 5-1 exceeds all of my expectations. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha...yep. I'm sure some will go back and take a peak at some of the guesses for our record during this stretch but man if we win Sunday. 5-1 exceeds all of my expectations. 

As good as you could possibly hope for with 2 road games and 3 home games against ranked teams.  Would change the outlook from scraping our way into the tourney to competing at the top of the conference.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Keep in mind, I'm as apathetic about the AP/Coaches polls as you can get.  But if we beat Maryland and MSU back to back and we're not ranked, there's something wrong. 

There's been something wrong with the rankings all year, or all decade for that matter.

I guess rankings just don't mean anything to me anymore, especially this year. Except for maybe, the one at the end of the year. I kind of hope we stay under the ranking radar. Teams don't take us near as seriously.

I'm more interested in how well a team, and ours, plays with effort, efficiency, execution.  Are we able to be competitive with anybody? That's my "ranking".

But that's just me.

Beat them on the boards again

Force it inside (I know I sound like a broken record every game but...)

Control Cowan again (and we should as Rob looks more ready each game)

Don't turn it over...last time, their big runs were points in transition off of our turnovers...we had 14 which isn't terrible, but they seemed to score off of almost every one...

Make Jalen Smith work on both ends...that will be a residual from point #2...

We beat MSU because we either matched or exceeded their intensity and physicality for most of the first half and the last 10 minutes of the second...it'd be nice to see a 40 minute effort there...

Crowd for Maryland should really be amp'd up for tomorrow.

I watched several games in the last few days, and NOBODY came remotely close to the noise level at AH. Hinkle was energetic, OSU was decent, but not great (also had a fair amount of empty seats), Mackey was good, probably the 2nd best noise level I've heard in recent weeks. MN can be good, but usually on par with OSU.

But...the Carnegie Hall of Basketball was rockin !!

Those of you who get to go to the games, or have been to B1G games already know all this, but for those of us out here in the "hinter-lands" it's almost emotional how much the fans get up and cheer for the team.

"In 49 states, it's Basketball. Then there is Indiana"

32 minutes ago, DWB said:

There's been something wrong with the rankings all year, or all decade for that matter.

I guess rankings just don't mean anything to me anymore, especially this year. Except for maybe, the one at the end of the year. I kind of hope we stay under the ranking radar. Teams don't take us near as seriously.

I'm more interested in how well a team, and ours, plays with effort, efficiency, execution.  Are we able to be competitive with anybody? That's my "ranking".

But that's just me.

I don't care about the rankings this year, mainly because we have a rough stretch to end the year, I doubt we would be ranked by March anyway.  (I am kind of expecting to be around 21-10 by the time it is all said and done because of how tough the road has been for BIG teams this year.)  That said, we need to start becoming a more permanent fixture in the rankings to help with recruiting.  So after this year, I hope to start see us getting mentioned more.

If we are sitting at 16-4 after the game tomorrow though, with wins over 2 ranked teams in a week, I think we will probably get into the rankings.  16-4 means all we have to do is protect home court to get to 21 wins.  That gets us in the tournament, which was my expectation going into the year.  It also means, IMO, that Miller will have done a pretty good job of finding a way to win games despite the shortcomings of this team.  In my mind that will mean he has done a good job and it should give him some breathing room with the majority of the fanbase.

21-10 is around the baseline I believe, if Green suddenly figures things out again to end the year like he did last year, then we may see something kind of cool happen....

Archived