Archie

👏👏 well done.  He’s got the team improving and I think he’s really improving as well.  I may have been wrong, Archie may still be THAT guy.  That’s something to worry about later, let’s beat Maryland with the same toughness and execution we had last night.  Love the substitutions, love the effort, loved Archie’s passion on the sidelines, loved the shorter rotation in the second half, lots to love honestly.  Is there still room for improvement? Always, but that can be said for any team!  

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

👏👏 well done.  He’s got the team improving and I think he’s really improving as well.  I may have been wrong, Archie may still be THAT guy.  That’s something to worry about later, let’s beat Maryland with the same toughness and execution we had last night.  Love the substitutions, love the effort, loved Archie’s passion on the sidelines, loved the shorter rotation in the second half, lots to love honestly.  Is there still room for improvement? Always, but that can be said for any team!  

Agree that it is very encouraging how the team seems to be improving.  I'm totally onboard with Archie but have to say I do not like his substitutions.  We subs so much it almost seems like he has a scripted rotation made before the game and follows it throughout the game.  It bothers me when we get off to hot starts only to have 2 or 3 starters subbed out after 5 min.  In my opinion, if they are hot let then run until they either cool off or when they tire out.  Would love for you to elaborate more about the positives you see in his substitutions.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think one thing that is often overlooked is it takes time (even for good coaches) to adjust and learn on the job too. Archie's been doing that and it's not like he's adjusting to coaches who never coached before. Scary part in terms of player starts....we're considered a young team. Brunk, Smith seem to have taken on a leadership role....can we imagine a full summer with all coming back along with incoming recruits we have? I want to stay in the moment but it's hard to not see the concepts/identity/culture Archie is building. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He is a ball coach, and a good one.  Crean, regardless of what we see, is a respected coach.  Players were saying in their circles how much more basketball they were learning with Archie, and hownhe sees the game in a whole different way (positively?).  Some did not like the roles they were given or limitations that came from them.

Hopefully he can recruit and sign another pg to go along with Rob and and a lock down shooter.  Imagine, this tean with those two ingredients.  He has tried, just need to wrap it up.  Who knows, maybe one or more of the three basketball players signed can be that kid.  I do think a healthy Rob will raise his % and Franklin has all the intangibles to do it as well. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think one thing that is often overlooked is it takes time (even for good coaches) to adjust and learn on the job too. Archie's been doing that and it's not like he's adjusting to coaches who never coached before. Scary part in terms of player starts....we're considered a young team. Brunk, Smith seem to have taken on a leadership role....can we imagine a full summer with all coming back along with incoming recruits we have? I want to stay in the moment but it's hard to not see the concepts/identity/culture Archie is building. 

Can't totally remember but I think his 3rd year at Dayton started pretty similar to this year and then turned it around.

I think CAM is a good coach who could eventually become a GREAT coach given time. I've never been in the "win now" or "hire a superstar" camp because I'm patient by nature. I'm willing to give him time - within reason. But I might be biased. As someone who switched careers mid-life a few years ago, I'm just now hitting my stride with my new job. IU is a SUPER high-pressure gig that's nothing like Dayton. It's gonna take a few seasons to get his bearings, and I'm willing to watch him (hopefully) get this ship righted. 

If this team could shoot well we would be a serious threat.  CAM is well on his way to establishing a brand of basketball that will should lead to consistent competitiveness.  This team looks to be one that will be in the tourney and could make the sweet 16 if this recent improvement stays.  Our inability to put the ball in the basketball will eventually be our undoing, but it is hard not to be optimistic.

Just now, BEKA said:

I think CAM is a good coach who could eventually become a GREAT coach given time. I've never been in the "win now" or "hire a superstar" camp because I'm patient by nature. I'm willing to give him time - within reason. But I might be biased. As someone who switched careers mid-life a few years ago, I'm just now hitting my stride with my new job. IU is a SUPER high-pressure gig that's nothing like Dayton. It's gonna take a few seasons to get his bearings, and I'm willing to watch him (hopefully) get this ship righted. 

All day long and I say this as someone who was getting frustrated at the whole operation in Bloomington. Not just Archie but IU too. What I'm seeing only within the frame of the team is similar to 02. Guys started seeing their role, their responsibility,etc....I'm not saying same results by any means but changing a team midseason is one of the hardest things to do (I think IUFLA mentioned this a few times) and we seem to be doing that. Kudos to entire staff and kids.

This is going to sound weird but it sort of just sank in for me that when we hired Arch he had only been a head coach for 6 years. I know I knew that at the time but for some reason he just seemed older, or at least like he’d been doing it longer, so I wrote his youth off. When I think about it that way, I can find a lot more grace for him. He’s no rookie, but he’s still really learning how to coach at a big time program and should only get better. He’ll make some mistakes, and already has, but seems smart enough to learn from them. 
Sincerely, 
Mr Obvious 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long and I say this as someone who was getting frustrated at the whole operation in Bloomington. Not just Archie but IU too. What I'm seeing only within the frame of the team is similar to 02. Guys started seeing their role, their responsibility,etc....I'm not saying same results by any means but changing a team midseason is one of the hardest things to do (I think IUFLA mentioned this a few times) and we seem to be doing that. Kudos to entire staff and kids.

Agreed. Setting the whole IU admin debate aside, I think CAM can do amazing things here once he really grasps and grows the culture. That's going to have to involve former players, in-state recruiting relationships, winning, etc., but I think it takes time to wrap your mind around what Hoosier Hysteria really means. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree with you about the 2002 team and things changed once they put Odle into the starting lineup and hopefully this year changed once RP got into the starting lineup.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Agree with you about the 2002 team and things changed once they put Odle into the starting lineup

Interesting. As after the MSU game, I was thinking of the correlation between 2002, and 2020.   Something about the twos, I guess !  LOL  IMHO, there is no doubt this team will make the NCAAT.  Only question is how far.  No one gave the 2002 team any chance to make it to the final game.  I could be wrong. However, I am starting to get the same vibe.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Interesting. As after the MSU game, I was thinking of the correlation between 2002, and 2020.   Something about the twos, I guess !  LOL  IMHO, there is no doubt this team will make the NCAAT.  Only question is how far.  No one gave the 2002 team any chance to make it to the final game.  I could be wrong. However, I am starting to get the same vibe.

We were a 5 seed that year and had to play out west in the 1st/2nd round.  Most thought we would lose the second game to USC but they lost in the 1st round to UNC Wilmington.  What was funny the reason that Odle was put in the lineup was that Leach got hurt on the opening tip at NW.

58 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I think he's pretty darn good for the fact he's beaten Izzo three straight!  That is sweet!!  😁

1 hour ago, Vincent14 said:

Agree that it is very encouraging how the team seems to be improving.  I'm totally onboard with Archie but have to say I do not like his substitutions.  We subs so much it almost seems like he has a scripted rotation made before the game and follows it throughout the game.  It bothers me when we get off to hot starts only to have 2 or 3 starters subbed out after 5 min.  In my opinion, if they are hot let then run until they either cool off or when they tire out.  Would love for you to elaborate more about the positives you see in his substitutions.

He made all the right substitutions last night.  I questioned several and everyone that I questioned he got right because the guy he brought in made a play soon after entering.  We as fans aren’t always going to agree with the coach, obviously, but maybe there is something more to it than just a substitution.  Maybe he’s proving a point to someone, or giving a different guy a chance to make a play.  He proved a lot to me and I would have said that even if we had lost.  Loved his passion on the sidelines last night, I was able to be up close to the bench last night and he lit the guys up when needed and praised them when they deserved it.  

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He made all the right substitutions last night.  I questioned several and everyone that I questioned he got right because the guy he brought in made a play soon after entering.  We as fans aren’t always going to agree with the coach, obviously, but maybe there is something more to it than just a substitution.  Maybe he’s proving a point to someone, or giving a different guy a chance to make a play.  He proved a lot to me and I would have said that even if we had lost.  Loved his passion on the sidelines last night, I was able to be up close to the bench last night and he lit the guys up when needed and praised them when they deserved it.  

Nice to hear your insight from being up-close.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We were a 5 seed that year and had to play out west in the 1st/2nd round.  Most thought we would lose the second game to USC but they lost in the 1st round to UNC Wilmington.  What was funny the reason that Odle was put in the lineup was that Leach got hurt on the opening tip at NW.

Watching the Purdue/Wisconsin pre-game show on FS1.  DeCourcy announced he has moved IU up to 7 in his twice weekly bracketology.  Not sure if he mentioned where.

Also, said he has dropped Purdue out.

15 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

He needs to chew some butt if they are not playing well...players need to know to listen to what he says and not how he says it.

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

If this team could shoot well we would be a serious threat.  CAM is well on his way to establishing a brand of basketball that will should lead to consistent competitiveness.  This team looks to be one that will be in the tourney and could make the sweet 16 if this recent improvement stays.  Our inability to put the ball in the basketball will eventually be our undoing, but it is hard not to be optimistic.

We get open shots we just don’t make them. Offense grinds to a halt when we stop moving or cutting. We miss free throws that extend our droughts. None of these are Archie’s fault. Practice the offense all you want but that is effort and skill. I don’t think Archie is amazing but a lot of the crap we gripe about isn’t about the offense we run or the shots we get. My opinion anyway. Sure we have a few bad sets. But normally when people stop running the offense and play hero ball. The first 5 minutes of sets were beautiful yesterday when we had energy and were crisp and were following direction.  

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah I’m back into the holding pattern as well. He did the thing I had been yearning to see for 2 years. He changed. 

And yes let’s go beat the turtles and then take one of the games on the road. To really start nailing down that tourney resume. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah I’m back into the holding pattern as well. He did the thing I had been yearning to see for 2 years. He changed. 

And yes let’s go beat the turtles and then take one of the games on the road. To really start nailing down that tourney resume. 

You said something very important there....”he changed”. That’s what’s giving me hope

Just now, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Things seem to have stabilized somewhat. We need to land Furst or someone that can make an immediate impact next year and hope TJD comes back. Missing the tournament next year (assuming we make it this year) is a step back we can not afford. 

You can see the plan working. Archie's guys are getting older and now we need to stay old because that is the only model that will allow us to compete. 

Nice post and welcome to HSN!

7 minutes ago, IDontWannaLargeFarva2 said:

Things seem to have stabilized somewhat. We need to land Furst or someone that can make an immediate impact next year and hope TJD comes back. Missing the tournament next year (assuming we make it this year) is a step back we can not afford. 

You can see the plan working. Archie's guys are getting older and now we need to stay old because that is the only model that will allow us to compete. 

Love your username.  

Really dont see TJD leaving so will most likely have a solid core next year as well. 

I agree the plan is working and can just feel it watching this group grow together. I've loosely held on to my optimism but it's back to normal levels now. 

Archived