Archie

Archie has done a fantastic job since the Northwestern game.  It’s lazy to argue it’s just the W’s and L’s.  Not here.  Not at Indiana.  The team is playing really hard and tough.  That’s the biggest thing.  And he’s the one getting it out of them because, let’s be honest, we hadn’t been getting it consistently enough.  Now, Green and others go to the bench when they are playing lackluster ball.  Tough kids like Race are getting more prominent minutes.  This is what everybody wanted from Arch.  This is also what we thought we were getting when he was hired.  

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Love your username.  

Really dont see TJD leaving so will most likely have a solid core next year as well. 

I agree the plan is working and can just feel it watching this group grow together. I've loosely held on to my optimism but it's back to normal levels now. 

The thing is Furst won't be here next year since he is in the 21 class so TJD would have to stay a 3rd year to play with Furst

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is Furst won't be here next year since he is in the 21 class so TJD would have to stay a 3rd year to play with Furst

I wasnt thinking about Furst being around because I agree TJD would be gone when/if he gets here.

I was just thinking Davis and Brunk work really well together and I see Justin starting to take a leadership role, add in some new recruits with that trio.  Just seems to me the foundation is there. 

I have always said it’s not his coaching but failure to bring in shooters.  His O&D work fine to me, just doesn’t have the players to make the O run sometimes.  I think he will be just fine.  Getting players to play hard is the most important trait of a coach.  Motivation!  

Just so everyone knows, Crean left us in a terrible spot with all the transfers he Had leaving each year.  When Archie arrived the NCAA was about to hit Indiana with an APR sanction. Archie’s hands were tied and not it actually wasn’t the administrations fault like I thought.  Yet again, I was wrong.  It was a good to hear the truth Thursday.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just so everyone knows, Crean left us in a terrible spot with all the transfers he Had leaving each year.  When Archie arrived the NCAA was about to hit Indiana with an APR sanction. Archie’s hands were tied and not it actually wasn’t the administrations fault like I thought.  Yet again, I was wrong.  It was a good to hear the truth Thursday.

I'm not a it has to be someone's fault kind of guy. Reading this though suggests that either A) Archie knew he had to keep 3 players to stay above the magical line or B) Archie and Administration didn't want to risk being kept out of tourney so they decided to eat Crean's guys and see if they could make it with them?

I guess in hindsight I would have preferred we eat the APR charge in year 1 and proceed from there. Oh well.

It seems that when a new coach comes to a program with a long history of success, his success usually involves a signature player.  Crean's fortunes hinged on CZ - that marked a turning point for the program.  Unfortunately, recruiting stagnated and he was hit pretty hard with several defections to the NBA.

Archie had 3 guys who could have been impact guys last year, but all three were hampered by injuries (and the best of the three jumped to the pros).  Rob has finally been able to stay healthy enough and has clearly been a positive influence as of late.  Hunter has shown signs of being a contributor, but is a unique case due to the nature and length of his absence.

Right now you can see that the get old, stay old approach may be building with TJD being the only current player likely to play less than 4 years.

Building a program, based primarily on veteran players takes longer.  Hopefully it is what we're seeing and it's begun to take root.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not a it has to be someone's fault kind of guy. Reading this though suggests that either A) Archie knew he had to keep 3 players to stay above the magical line or B) Archie and Administration didn't want to risk being kept out of tourney so they decided to eat Crean's guys and see if they could make it with them?

I guess in hindsight I would have preferred we eat the APR charge in year 1 and proceed from there. Oh well.

I agree but no coach wants to coach a “wasted year”.  Every coach thinks they can get their team to the tourney at the beginning of the year.

10 minutes ago, iamaparker1 said:

Has anyone thought of the fact that Archie's rear end chewing and improved toughness came after our AD announced his retirement? Just coincidence???

I mean, it is a coincidence. I would wonder what one thing had to do with the other? Are we to believe Fred Glass was that actually micromanaging the men’s basketball team to the extent the coach didn’t feel he could do his job?

Anything’s possible, I suppose. We’ve just never seen evidence of that, have we?

16 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

This is going to sound weird but it sort of just sank in for me that when we hired Arch he had only been a head coach for 6 years. I know I knew that at the time but for some reason he just seemed older, or at least like he’d been doing it longer, so I wrote his youth off. When I think about it that way, I can find a lot more grace for him. He’s no rookie, but he’s still really learning how to coach at a big time program and should only get better. He’ll make some mistakes, and already has, but seems smart enough to learn from them. 
Sincerely, 
Mr Obvious 

Something to add and think about....although he is young and was considered before IU hired him the next great coach.....the kid was born to coach, that's all he wanted to do.  I'm sure he had a chance to play overseas, similar to J. Hulls.  Like Jordan, height was never on his side; however he was a ball player.   He went right into coaching after his senior year.

No matter your coaching ability you have to recruit.  Good players make bad game coaches look good.  Now when you have a good game coach like Archie, good players for your system take you far in the tournament.

Recruit!!!!  Stay true to the process

18 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

He is a ball coach, and a good one.  Crean, regardless of what we see, is a respected coach.  Players were saying in their circles how much more basketball they were learning with Archie, and hownhe sees the game in a whole different way (positively?).  Some did not like the roles they were given or limitations that came from them.

Hopefully he can recruit and sign another pg to go along with Rob and and a lock down shooter.  Imagine, this tean with those two ingredients.  He has tried, just need to wrap it up.  Who knows, maybe one or more of the three basketball players signed can be that kid.  I do think a healthy Rob will raise his % and Franklin has all the intangibles to do it as well. 

I am really interested in what you have heard regarding what players have said about learning more basketball under Archie and how he sees the game differently. I definitely agree that some of the players have struggle with accepting the roles they needed to accept with him as coach. That is likely the biggest difference between last year and this year to this point.

I think that we are only just now seeing our guys make reads within the actions that they have been running for a couple of years

I'd love to hear about the player comments and what sorts of things they have said...maybe even which players you are referring to?

I think it is possible that with Crean players learned skills and patterns of play, but not really too many reads or decisions being made in Crean's system. Essentially the only reads made were on baseline cuts, even after we installed the chin action offense

i love the change in subbing.  i'm sticking with what i have said regardless if it's after a bad loss or a good win.  if we don't make the tourney this year or next year, it's time to make a change.  he definitely deserves this year and next.  if we miss both year, i don't think so.  

Archived