Breakdown of 2020 Returning Production

Indykev

I love that we return so much on both sides of the ball, and not just on one side.  Really only have to replace 4 or 5 major players and a few role players from last year.  Cronk (Bedford), Stepaniak (Powell), Littlejohn (Crider), Hale & Westbrook (Whop, Ellis, Marshall, Williams, Brown, etc.), Jones (Miller), Justus (Campbell).  The only thing I see is possibly a slight drop on the OL and at LB.  I think with Miller, McFadden, Cam Jones, Allen, Bonhomme, and Cam Williams, we should be fairly solid at LB.  I think our starters on the OL will be good, but I worry about our depth.  In a year or two I think we'll have great depth there, but not sure if we will for this year.

3 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Now that Ramsey is officially in the portal, and appears to be all but gone, hoping for Penix to have a good offseason and that the S&C work he puts in leads to a bit more durability. 

I know right after he got hurt this year, Allen said he would be 100% by spring practice.  That will give him a lot more time in the offseason to get in full workouts, so hopefully he can put on some muscle.  Last year he wasn't ready to do that until the beginning of summer.  After 2 straight season ending injuries, I would bet every dollar I have that Ballou and Rhea have it planned out to put him through workouts this spring that will be designed to try to prevent injuries.

Also, I like how our schedule sets up in case he does go down.  After Wisconsin, we have 3 games that should be relatively easy wins, so hopefully we will be able to get Tuttle into at least a game or two early in the 2nd half and let him throw the ball a bit.  We also have 6 very winnable games in our first 7, so if Penix can stay healthy through MSU, there is a decent chance we'll be bowl eligible by then.

50 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I know right after he got hurt this year, Allen said he would be 100% by spring practice.  That will give him a lot more time in the offseason to get in full workouts, so hopefully he can put on some muscle.  Last year he wasn't ready to do that until the beginning of summer.  After 2 straight season ending injuries, I would bet every dollar I have that Ballou and Rhea have it planned out to put him through workouts this spring that will be designed to try to prevent injuries.

Also, I like how our schedule sets up in case he does go down.  After Wisconsin, we have 3 games that should be relatively easy wins, so hopefully we will be able to get Tuttle into at least a game or two early in the 2nd half and let him throw the ball a bit.  We also have 6 very winnable games in our first 7, so if Penix can stay healthy through MSU, there is a decent chance we'll be bowl eligible by then.

Good to know there is that much confidence that Penix will be on track to fully participate, and also that it came directly from Allen.I don''t recall reading it myself at the time(although I might have and just forgot)  but the timetable seems adequate for sure since the injury that ended his year happened midseason.. 

Likewise on feelings about both the schedule and Tuttle.

Hopefully Tuttle gets the reps anytime a chance presents itself if he doesn't improve enough to win the job outright . On top of that what you reminded me about- the chance of Dexter Williams coming in with play inspiring them to use his 4 games under the RS rule. I definitely like the thought of IU with viable QB options but definitely prefer them developed or tested in case they(Tuttle and Williams) ever do have to go into the fire with no career starts to date.  Best we can ask for is each to be healthy enough to give their best effort to try to win the starting job . And for the use of that depth behind the starter - no matter who it ends up being -  to never be out of necessity.

I know I'm already ready for IUFB and Spring ball to get here.Speaking of.  Any word on if Williams played that Blue Grey All -American Bowl or how he fared if he actually got to play in it?  

I believe it was said that 71% of the entire IU Roster were Freshmen and Sophomores in 2019.  Depending on who wins each spot and makes up the majority of production in 2020, they could possibly return just as much of it the following season as well.

@IndykevCurious if what you shared is before or after being adjusted to reflect Ramsey's likely departure now. Although I still think Penix playing a full healthy season could be even more productive than PR led for roughly half of it.. 

25 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I believe it was said that 71% of the entire IU Roster were Freshmen and Sophomores in 2019.  Depending on who wins each spot and makes up the majority of production in 2020, they could possibly return just as much of it the following season as well.

@IndykevCurious if what you shared is before or after being adjusted to reflect Ramsey's likely departure now. Although I still think Penix playing a full healthy season could be even more productive than PR led for roughly half of it.. 

It was before Ramsey....But after Pennix was announced 50-1 to win the Heisman. Pennix was always the starter.

6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Good to know there is that much confidence that Penix will be on track to fully participate, and also that it came directly from Allen.I don''t recall reading it myself at the time(although I might have and just forgot)  but the timetable seems adequate for sure since the injury that ended his year happened midseason.. 

Likewise on feelings about both the schedule and Tuttle.

Hopefully Tuttle gets the reps anytime a chance presents itself if he doesn't improve enough to win the job outright . On top of that what you reminded me about- the chance of Dexter Williams coming in with play inspiring them to use his 4 games under the RS rule. I definitely like the thought of IU with viable QB options but definitely prefer them developed or tested in case they(Tuttle and Williams) ever do have to go into the fire with no career starts to date.  Best we can ask for is each to be healthy enough to give their best effort to try to win the starting job . And for the use of that depth behind the starter - no matter who it ends up being -  to never be out of necessity.

I know I'm already ready for IUFB and Spring ball to get here.Speaking of.  Any word on if Williams played that Blue Grey All -American Bowl or how he fared if he actually got to play in it?  

Here's the article about Penix.

Not sure about Williams.  Tried looking into it, and couldn't find anything about it.

6 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Thinking about it more, I believe Williams is an early enrollee this spring, so maybe that had something to do with it?  Conflicting schedules maybe?

Archived