UCLA

rico

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue if $5.4 is a normal number for programs or not....what I do know is jumping from $1M to $5.4 in one year seems a little unreasonable. I'd be asking why for sure. Healthier food is more expensive I get and live it.....but that much jump?

It breaks down to $14794.52 per day. Even if you counted scholarship players, walk ons, coaches, trainers, managers, and everyone else, that is a crazy high amount of money.  Let's say this was for 200 people, that is $74 per person per day. Even if there were 1000 people to feed, that would be just under $15 per person per day.

Something seems fishy about spending that much money on groceries.

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It breaks down to $14794.52 per day. Even if you counted scholarship players, walk ons, coaches, trainers, managers, and everyone else, that is a crazy high amount of money.  Let's say this was for 200 people, that is $74 per person per day. Even if there were 1000 people to feed, that would be just under $15 per person per day.

It's funny you did the math because that's where my brain goes too. 200 people in a program every day of the year?? Someone might want to check and see who created the fake invoices/companies/account payables and actually paid them. This smells like embezzlement somehow. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny you did the math because that's where my brain goes too. 200 people in a program every day of the year?? Someone might want to check and see who created the fake invoices/companies/account payables and actually paid them. This smells like embezzlement somehow. 

I agree.  I don't see any way the math can work unless somebody was taking a cut of it.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree.  I don't see any way the math can work unless somebody was taking a cut of it.

Evidently that was the number that was turned into the accountant...somebody, including the media, took notice of it.  UCLA needs a better number cruncher!

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Appetizers and extra cheese for everyone

19 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

And these are wholesale numbers. It's not like the chef is walking down an aisle each day with a cart. Watch the owners of the food distributor companies they use be UCLA alumni. UCLA overpays them and in return they provide food services....but also thousands of $100 handshakes to kids.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And these are wholesale numbers. It's not like the chef is walking down an aisle each day with a cart. Watch the owners of the food distributor companies they use be UCLA alumni. UCLA overpays them and in return they provide food services....but also thousands of $100 handshakes to kids.

Interesting take and one that could very well be true...somehow I think there is more to it than than that.

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

You mean Whole Paycheck...

No doubt. I maybe go in 2-3x per year for something very specific but if I'm looking for something high end or specific I go to Market District. Otherwise....Kroger and Walmart work just fine.

Joking aside on this UCLA stuff....I know the media has been since Sunday morning with more pressing news but I won't be surprised if someone looks into this a bit further. Double annual budget sure....but $1 to $5+??? UCLA has so many problems I guess food is least of concerns though.

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Joking aside on this UCLA stuff....I know the media has been since Sunday morning with more pressing news but I won't be surprised if someone looks into this a bit further. Double annual budget sure....but $1 to $5+??? UCLA has so many problems I guess food is least of concerns though.

Yes, it is a very "disturbing" increase.  If I knew where to look I would like to compare UCLA's food budget to other schools.  

5 hours ago, rico said:

Yes, it is a very "disturbing" increase.  If I knew where to look I would like to compare UCLA's food budget to other schools.  

In 2016, Alabama spent just over $500,000

Over the most recent 2 years available (16-17), Arkansas spent the most, around $7 million total...for all of their athletic teams combined.

Archived